WTB - Koaloha friction tuners

tinaj

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have two Koaloha Opio concert ukes - one sapele and one spruce top. The Koaloha friction tuners on the spruce top works beautifully, but the ones on the sapele are not so good. They are both Koaloha tuners, but look different (see attached pictures). I've looked through images online and have only seen ones that look like the tuners on the spruce top, so I'm not sure if the ones on the sapele are an older version?

I thought about contacting Koaloha and inquire about exchanging them for new ones (assuming they are ok with replacing them). I will need to take them off my uke and send them in and wait for the replacements to arrive. Then I thought maybe someone has an extra set sitting around (having upgraded to the Gotoh UPT tuners etc.) that they no longer want to keep.

If you have a set that looks like the ones in the Spruce Top picture, please let me know how much you want to sell it for including shipping. Send me a picture of it please (I just want to be sure). Thanks!View attachment 96193View attachment 96194

Attachments

• IMG_1490_New.jpg
    IMG_1490_New.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1489_New.jpg
    IMG_1489_New.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I have a set, and sent you a PM about them. :)

Would Gotoh UPT tuners be a good solution?

Would Gotoh UPT tuners be a good solution?

Thanks for the reply, Sam. I think it's just this particular set of tuners, since the ones on the spruce top Opio work beautifully. The sapele Opio I have now is a replacement from Koaloha (the original one had some issues and I sent it in for warranty claim). The original had the same tuners as the spruce top and they too, worked very well. For some reason this set is different from the others, and don't work well in comparison.

The Gotoh UPT tuners are really nice but I think I'll be very happy with the stock Koaloha tuners if they are the good ones :).

Well, my set looks like the ones in the Opio Sapele picture. But, they must be decent tuners, because they came off of a new Koaloha KCM-00 Concert which is a top-notch ukulele.

Here's a picture of my set:

HPIM1984_zpsa3si4x4q.jpg

Just let me know if you're interested in trying them and I'll give you a good deal.

Thanks,

Steedy

Thank you, Steedy for getting back to me with the pictures. Hmm, I don't doubt that Koaloha uses good tuners on their ukes, but my experience with the particular set I have makes me hesitant to try another set of the same kind. I think I'll contact Peng at Koaloha who helped me with the replacement uke and ask him about this. I will get back to you after I hear back from him. Thanks!

Good idea to contact KoAloha directly. They're known for their "better than the weather" warranty service. :cool:

Good idea to contact KoAloha directly. They're known for their "better than the weather" warranty service. :cool:

Yes - Peng was very kind to help me with the issue I had and very nice to work with. Wonderful folks for sure!

I just want to give an update. I emailed Peng at Koaloha about my troubles with the friction tuners on the Opio sapele concert and he's sending me a new set that matches the ones on the Opio spruce top, free of charge! I cannot say enough good things about the folks at Koaloha and their warranty! Peng mentioned that the tuners on my Opio spruce top are the only ones they use now, while in the past at some point they had used both kinds. He also said that, after replacing them with the new ones, I can make the current tuners on the Opio sapele into Koaloha keychains by adding a ring to it. What a brilliant idea - I'm definitely going to do that :).

I want to just second the amazing stupendous over the top customer service I received from Peng at KoAloha.
I love the KoAloha feel and sound but even more so you become part of their family,who spread Aloha with all their heart. Their warranty is even better than better than the weather :)

Top Bottom