Kala baritone truss rod?

Thymej

Reaction score
I was in Island Bazaar the other day looking at Kala baritone ukuleles.

I looked at two baritones. Kala KA-ASAC-B all solid Acacia and the Kala KA-ABP-CTG Solid Cedar top. They sound close but the acacia was just a little bit nicer. I’m looking for something that sounds similar to classical guitar but no bigger than a baritone uke and only four strings.

Question #1
I don’t remember witch but one of them had what looked like a truss rod. One of them had an Allen-wrench socket where an adjustable truss rod would be. Does anyone know if Kala Bari’s have truss rods or was that just a bolt to help support keeping the neck attached to the body?

Question #2
Of the two bari’s watch of the two (as to their woods) age better; warm up over time as in topically sound better over time, if at all for these wood types?

Thymej

Last edited:
Mmmm, Acacia vs. Cedar tops, which one sounds better with age?

I dont think there is a general conclusion one can make, since there are MANY variables that effect the life of the instrument, not the least of which is the temp and humidity over it's life...

As far as sounding better over time, that is also completely subjective and likely you will get a thousand different opinions, all over the spectrum, each is subjective to the player of that instrument and each also likely very influenced at least somewhat by 'confirmation bias' (look it up if unfamiliar, e.g. on Wikipedia)...

if you are buying the uke, ANY uke as an investment, you usually will loose money, much like playing the 'futures market', however if you will PLAY the instrument, and use it as a tool for music, then it is a matter of budget and YOUR personal preference for the tone to YOUR ears and the feel of the instrument in YOUR hands.

What is good for someone else, just might be perfect for you, but it can ALSO be totally wrong for you.

I would caution you not to blindly follow the dogma of the Hive Mind, whether here on UU or anywhere else, and try to get some more experience with the instruments you are considering, in person, so you can decide for yourself.

You just need to trust yourself enough to do it. If anyone tells you that are are 'wrong', you might want to consider that person speaking out of malignant ignorance.

Sorry I cannot recall which has a truss rod either, and sorry that I did not answer your question. I wish you the best of luck and hopefully someone with more knowledge and experience than me can help to directly answer your questions. :)

I recently purchased a Kala KA-SMHB All Solid Mahogany Baritone and I'm going to suggest that you add this particular model to your shortlist.

A solid wood instrument is going to age better than a solid top/laminate combo. And, although I really like cedar as a top wood, I am really pleased with the tone of my solid hog bari.

Mine has what appears to be a truss rod (allen key socket visible through the soundhole). However, I haven't been able to confirm this - there seems to be little 'official' information available.

Last edited:
I bought the cedar top bari, & thought that I'd like an acacia as well, but the only thing I did get was a cheaper spruce top as a beater.

I love the sound from my cedar top. :)

We bought 2 of the solid acacia bari's 5 years ago when we fell in love with the ukulele. These have 'Aged" well over the years and, although we now have treated ourselves to a custom, we still play and enjoy the Kalas. Frankly, I think these are the best bang for the buck out there, especially for a newby who wants to play a quality instrument. I just looked in the sound hole and can't find an adjustment nut so i don't think there is a truss rod, but probably isn't really needed. Hope you enjoy your Kala as much as we have ours.

Top Bottom