HHG Clean-up

Pegasus Guitars

Reaction score
I posted this on another forum, but thought I would ask here too. Having used Titebond for over 40 years of building, I switched to HHG for some of my assembly awhile ago. It is easy to use, and I like it, but I still find clean-up difficult. Like most everyone, I want the inside of my instruments to be as clean on the inside as the outside. The fact that the HHG does not continue to ooze like Titebond is great. However, the gummy worms of HHG are difficult for me to totally clean-up. They like to stick to everything! I've also read that builders say the glue dries clear, but the stuff I use is always a light brown. Typically I try to clean-up squeeze out before it hardens by first escaping off the gummy worms and then using a damp rag with warm water to wipe down. Just wondering how other builders approach the clean-up issue.

I use a straw, but this seems to not work as well with HHG as with titebond. ON glue up videos i've seen some seem to wait a while for it to gel then use a chisel or such.

Me too. I use a plastic straw cut at a 45 degree angle. My ooze-out is little to none though, 1/32" beads; just visible.

I wait till it starts to form a softened gel; maybe five minutes tops, then scoop it up and pinch it off the straw so it doesn't spread and contaminate my clean board.

Sure am glad that those with more experience are doing the same thing too. Although most of my shop-time glue usage has been 50 years of general woodworking vs 50 hours of instrument making.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. HHG is a totally different deal when it comes to clean-up. I posted this same question on a larger forum too, and got no magic bullets either. I really was not expecting any, so I guess I just have to live with the difficulties of clean-up. For many tasks I think it is worth the extra effort.

When I had a stab at HHG I had the same issues. The clean up propaganda - hot water and a toothbrush - was that, propaganda. I struggled for a few weeks and was perhaps a bit half hearted but I couldn't justify the learning curve. I'm not saying my methods are better - all hail to those who have mastered this technique. It's just not for me. All there best with this Bob - I hope an old dog can learn a new trick :)

HHG is something I wanted to gravitate to. This vid kinda rekindles that fire. Its long, but maybe you can grab something about cleanup when he does his glueups.

BTW, this is from a post from the OLF, and it was hidden in its title. Probably wouldn't have viewed it if Street Outlaws was on. . .

Aaron- Amazing that a builder would put out the energy to make a video like that and then give it away on the net. Very interesting to see the same, familiar tools in the hands of another and the way in which they use them. Definitely a long video, but fun to watch. Thanks.-Bob

HHG is easy to clean up. In fact it's one of it's advantages.

Top Bottom