New Build Thread: Hive Birdeye Maple and Reedwood tenor

dkcrown

UU+
Reaction score
I have never created a build thread before, but I always enjoy following them when other members here start them. So here goes. Back in April I commissioned Jake Maclay of Hive Ukuleles to build me a tenor after I saw some amazing birdseye maple that he had on his Facebook page. I actually had talked to Jake five years ago about building me a uke, but the timing just wasn't right back then.

I have always wanted a maple bodied uke, and I know that Jake has had a lot of experience working with maple, dating back to his time when he worked for Rick Turner at Compass Rose. I almost purchased one of his maple ukes from HMS as well, but decided to pass. The timing wasn't right for me. Eddie snatched that one up. I owned an all maple Kanilea a number of years ago, but it was actually somewhat dead sounding, which was surprising to me. Maple tends to have a reputation of being very bright sounding. Again, it all depends on who is building the uke.

I also knew that I wanted a Redwood top. I thought that if combined with maple, it would make for a great sounding uke.

So after eight months of waiting, my build has started. I will post pics as I get them from Jake. Enjoy!

Thanks for posting Dana. I wondered to whom did the gorgeous birdseye maple Hive belong. Glad it was you.

Nice look of a darker top and lighter body.

Dana ... this looks like it is going to be fabulous ... congratulations to you! Look forward to its completion.

Congrats --- that is going to be awesome, Dana! I share your affinity for maple. Absolutely love it. I don't have any birds eye maple, so I cannot wait to see how this turns out. I know it will sound great because it's a Hive!

I had not known you were eyeing the quilted maple/Adirondack spruce that I snagged from HMS. I'd be lying if I said, "Sorry." I love that uke. I thought when I got my new Hive I might have to let that one go, but I'm not sure I'm capable of doing that. They're both awesome and it would be challenging to let it go. Maybe someday...

For others who aren't familar with Jake's work, there is lovely spruce/East Indian rosewood at HMS that is really beautiful. I think it's an absolute bargain compared to other similarly priced ukes (e.g, it includes Waverly tuners and a Gold Ameritage case). The back join is so perfect on it that is is like magic.

Yes, it was me Hodge. As soon as I saw it, I contacted Jake. And I owe the choice of redwood for the top in part to you. I remember from way back when how you have an affinity for redwood.

I have been selling off many of my ukes, but I think that this will be a very special one.

Yes Eddie. I was following the progress of your maple uke back when Jake was posting them on his Facebook page. I even contacted Andrew to let me know as soon as HMS got it in so I could have first dibs on it. But as I said before, the timing wasn't right financially for me.

I lost out on two Hives at HMS as well. One was a Rosewood/Redwood tenor, just an amazingly beautiful uke. Cory's sound sample of that uke has to be one of the best clips ever. The sound is magnificent. That uke is also one reason why I have opted for the redwood top. I went to buy it and in the time that I clicked over to Paypal to complete the transaction, somebody swooped in and snagged it! Arghhhh! You snooze you lose. That is why I am also surprised that HMS still has the current tenor in stock.

BTW, The professional pics that Jake had taken of your newest uke are incredible!

Oh Dana.......that is a mindblowingly beautiful piece of wood. I have been fascinated with maple just as you and it seems you hit the jackpot. I love build threads and I am so glad you are doing one for this uke. I look forward to seeing the continuing updates as the build progresses. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Awesome! Jake is building me it's sister uke at the same time! From a choice of all the maple he had I couldn't resist the birds eye too. Mine will have a adirondack spruce top. I love my current Hive so much I commissioned this to have as my re-entrant to pair with my low G. Jake is my favourite builder.

Congrats Matty! It will be great to see these two ukes progress.

I saw that picture on instagram recently. Good to see the lucky owner is here. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

Killer birdseye maple! I've had maple running around my brain of late. I was dreaming of almost this exact combination for a future build, with the only difference being a cedar top. I think it is a great choice, and can't wait to see and hear the final product.

Can I just say...

DAY-UM!

:drool:

Wow! Will it have a spruce top like a violin? (Which are made of maple)

Looking forward to seeing this one come together, and importantly hearing it. Interested in how the Redwood sounds compared to the more popular Spruce examples, and why you went for the Redwood?

Looking forward to seeing this one come together, and importantly hearing it. Interested in how the Redwood sounds compared to the more popular Spruce examples, and why you went for the Redwood?

I went with redwood for it's tonal properties. I want a warmer, fuller sound with this uke. It will be strung low G. It is hard to generalize, but redwood tends to be warmer in tone than spruce, and a little more responsive than cedar. Maple can be on the bright side tonally, so I didn't want to pair it with spruce, which tends to be brighter sounding as well.

Plus, I think aesthetically the redwood is going to look killer with the birdseye! The color of the redwood is close to the color of the grain and figure in the birdseye. They should compliment each other well.

Thanks for the reply to my question. I shall watch with interest as I'm looking for a soft wood top build for the future - high G. I have spruce - low G which as you say is bright. Sound sample when it's ready please :)

It is going to look "killer" for sure!

Top Bottom