which tenor?

luv2uke

Reaction score
Aloha everyone,
This is my first question/post on UU as I recently joined.
I am interested in buying a custom tenor ukulele that I would enjoy even playing more than my first (which Iove), being a Kanilea. The following are under consideration: I'iwi, Ono, Maui Music, Ko'olau CS-O, Pu'uwai, Kinnard series 3, preowned Pegasus. If you are familiar with or own or have owned these brands, if you would chime in and advise me of your thoughts I would greatly appreciate it. I am looking for great playability and great sound, a ukulele that I would keep forever.
Thank you for taking the time to read this post and respond.

Those are some very good brands and widely differing price points. My first advice is play as many as you can. I have played all of them except Pu'uwai and Pegaus. And I own Ono and Kinnard. I would definitely add Hive Ukuleles to your list. My second advice is to have some more experience before ordering a very expensive instrument. If you buy a $3K plus instrument before your taste evolves, you will take a pretty hard hit in terms of dollars upon selling it. Figure you need to sell it at a minimum of a 20-30% discount from new.

In my opinion, an Ono is a very good price point for a first custom as they are typically around $1,600. David's work is meticulous. There is a tenor on The Ukulele Site now that I played at the UGH show about a month ago. Speaking of The Ukulele Site, spend a lot of time looking and listening to instruments there. While it's not the same as playing one yourself, it can help a lot. In addition to the Ono, there are also several Maui Music's, Ko'olau's, a Kinnard tenor in sycamore (that I love!), and a Hive (that I also love).

Enjoy the journey of discovery!!

Those are some very good brands and widely differing price points. My first advice is play as many as you can. I have played all of them except Pu'uwai and Pegaus. And I own Ono and Kinnard. I would definitely add Hive Ukuleles to your list. My second advice is to have some more experience before ordering a very expensive instrument. If you buy a $3K plus instrument before your taste evolves, you will take a pretty hard hit in terms of dollars upon selling it. Figure you need to sell it at a minimum of a 20-30% discount from new.

In my opinion, an Ono is a very good price point for a first custom as they are typically around $1,600. David's work is meticulous. There is a tenor on The Ukulele Site now that I played at the UGH show about a month ago. Speaking of The Ukulele Site, spend a lot of time looking and listening to instruments there. While it's not the same as playing one yourself, it can help a lot. In addition to the Ono, there are also several Maui Music's, Ko'olau's, a Kinnard tenor in sycamore (that I love!), and a Hive (that I also love).

Enjoy the journey of discovery!!

Everything Eddie said............they are all great ukes. I own Kinnard, I'iwi and Ono on your list and have played a couple Ko'olau, they are all fabulous. It really boils down to personal preference at this level, like Porsche vs Ferrari vs Lamborgini.

If you are in this for the long haul buy used customs first. You will not take the financial hit if you sell them. I did this with many as did Eddie above. You basically get to own and play them...... then sell them for little to no lose. This is the only true way to get a real feel for each make.

Thank you for your reply Ukulele Eddie. I did see and listen to those ukes on the HMS and Ukulele Friend websites and that is why I am considering them. The Hive sounded nice, but did not have fret markers so I am not considering it. I am looking for one special tenor that I would enjoy playing the rest of my life and hoping that UAS doesn't strike. I have been playing my Kanilea KPET for about two years now. Also, not easy to get to play them myself around here.

Thank you Down Up Dave for your reply. Can you tell me what your thoughts on the playability and sound are on the three you own as well as the Ko'olau. Are any of the three you own in the category you won't part with because you enjoy them so much?

Thank you Down Up Dave for your reply. Can you tell me what your thoughts on the playability and sound are on the three you own as well as the Ko'olau. Are any of the three you own in the category you won't part with because you enjoy them so much?

Which one do I own that I would not sell........tough tough question because things can change. There are ukes I have owned that I thought I would never sell but did eventually. Mya Moe, Collings, Loprinzi, Compass Rose etc. are no linger in the stable but all were loved.

The I'iwi I own is very unique with a redwood top and walnut back and sides. Everyone that has played it is wowed and It is so different looking because of the body shape and three sound holes. One not mentioned is my LfdM which is one I can say will never be sold, just a whole lot of very personal reasons and preferences.

The two Ko'olaus I've played were up there with the very best and I will own one at some point. I have evolved as a player and as things change so do what is important in an instrument so there are no absolutes. It is a very fun journey and we are lucky to have so many good choices.

Thanks again DownUpDave. You mentioned that those that played the I'iwi were wowed. From what aspect were they wowed? Sound, playablity, looks?

Out of the ones you mention, I'd pick the Ko'olau CS. If I were to own just one luthier-made instrument, it would be my Ko'olau. It's the only uke I have with no minor flaw, playability is just as I like it, and the sound is deep and full, but also well balanced, pronounced, and clear. It looks traditional enough, but with a modern twist towards guitar-like features, and just the right amount of extra bling (for me). If I didn't own one already, I'd pick up that Macassar Ebony / Lutz Spruce CS-O at HMS in a heartbeat.

Other than that, I'd recommend looking at Louis Feu de Mesquita (LFdM), as DownUpDave mentioned, or Beau Hannam.

Of course, most important is what you personally prefer in an Ukulele's sound, looks, and playability. You won't be able to judge playability from afar, and sound samples will give you only a rough idea. Some people will say that looks are not important, but I find that I play an instrument more often if it is visually appealing to me.

Thanks again DownUpDave. You mentioned that those that played the I'iwi were wowed. From what aspect were they wowed? Sound, playablity, looks?

I had the pleasure of playing Dave's I'iwi. I've played very very few ukes that have no dead spots. This was one of them. I would say that the playability was really good.

I was quite impressed with a couple of K'olau's that I recently tried. Seriously worth checking out.

I had the pleasure of playing Dave's I'iwi. I've played very very few ukes that have no dead spots. This was one of them. I would say that the playability was really good.

I was quite impressed with a couple of K'olau's that I recently tried. Seriously worth checking out.

Good observations and feedback Adam. He is a very good player and had commented on how smooth it played.

Here is a counter point and a way of emphasizing my point about personal preferences. Regarding this I'iwi I like the sound the best, than looks then third is playability. I have three other tenors that play easier and smoother for me then the I'iwi, but that is me.

Of these brands, I've only tried an Ono, which I found to have excellent playability. If it were me buying blind, I'd choose Kinnard of those on your list.

I have a suggestion. If you can afford a top of the line uke, perhaps you can save up for a trip to Hawaii or to some uke fests in the US. There you'll be able to try these brands in person. Sound samples help but don't tell the whole story. If you buy blind, you may have lingering questions about the playability of those you didn't try.

Aloha everyone,
This is my first question/post on UU as I recently joined.
I am interested in buying a custom tenor ukulele that I would enjoy even playing more than my first (which Iove), being a Kanilea. The following are under consideration: I'iwi, Ono, Maui Music, Ko'olau CS-O, Pu'uwai, Kinnard series 3, preowned Pegasus. If you are familiar with or own or have owned these brands, if you would chime in and advise me of your thoughts I would greatly appreciate it. I am looking for great playability and great sound, a ukulele that I would keep forever.
Thank you for taking the time to read this post and respond.
I've owned or currently own tenors from each of these builders. All of them are great sounding and well built tenors but have unique tonal and build characteristics. Any of them would be an heirloom uke. In terms of playability what's important to you? Thin neck, neck profile, radius fretboard, body thickness, etc. ? What type of tone are you looking for: warmer or brighter? Are you looking for a reentrant or low G instrument? If you can answer some of these questions it'll be helpful to narrow down your list.

I've owned or currently own tenors from each of these builders. All of them are great sounding and well built tenors but have unique tonal and build characteristics. Any of them would be an heirloom uke. In terms of playability what's important to you? Thin neck, neck profile, radius fretboard, body thickness, etc. ? What type of tone are you looking for: warmer or brighter? Are you looking for a reentrant or low G instrument? If you can answer some of these questions it'll be helpful to narrow down your list.

I've only played Kinnard, (which I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.) But, I think that Hodge asked some very important questions, and the answers to those questions are probably key to picking out the right ukulele for you.

While a trip to HI would be great, it still might not give you a chance to play all those brands in person. But, I'm sure that you can get some good guidance from people here, especially with your responses to Hodge's questions.

Thanks for the suggestions Rakelele. Per your rec, I looked into LFdM and listened to an old clip from HMS. Nice. I wonder how often HMS has them in supply, as I read in the LFdM website that HMS is their only dealer. I will seriously consider the Ko'olau also.

Thanks Alytw. I liked the way it sounded on the HMS recordings and is also being seriously considered.

Thanks for your suggestions bonesoup. The ONo intrigued me because of the excellent comments on this site about the builder and also their 18" scale which has already sold. Trip to HI doesn't look feasible at the moment and will have to rely on members of the forum to educate and guide me.

Thanks Doc_J for your input and questions. I do want a radius fretboard. I tried playing a Nalu uke after Craig Chee made a comment about how nice it played and thougt that at the higer frets it was easier to play due to being a little roomier than my Kanilea (perhaps slightly wider neck?). Warm or bright are both ok with me, although currently my Kanilea is strung with bright Oasis with a low g (I may change back to a high g depending on what I string on my next uke as I want one to have a high g and one with a low g). So reentrant or low g does not really matter to me. I do want a sound that is well balanced, clear and clean, with a good sustain and overtones, as well as good projection. Thanks for helping me to narrow things down.

Last edited:
Hi Rakele, Why would you pick the Ko'olau Macassar Ecbony back and sides over the koa back and sides?

Hi DownUpDave,
Which of your three other tenors are easier to play than the I'iwi?

Top Bottom