Florida and Michigan Residents....

UkeStuff

Reaction score
My professional "hobby" (field I am an expert in but doesn't pay anything) is technology in music education, and I speak across the country on how to integrate technology into music. It is a field of great need, but music has special needs in this field and schools generally aren't willing to spend the money necessary to equip and then train their music teachers.

I have added presentations on ukulele to my list of available topics, and my first two sessions on ukulele are in January at the Florida Music Education Conference in Tampa (January 12 & 13) and at the Michigan Music Conference in Grand Rapids (January 19-21). I now have hotels arranged (and a flight to Tampa--driving to Michigan).

One of the things I would love to present to teachers in those states are a list of contacts for ukulele needs in those states. For example: clubs that would love to help a teacher starting with ukuleles and excellent music stores that deal with ukulele. I can mention things like Ukulele Underground and the major "online" vendors (Ukulele Site, Mim's, Uke Republic, Mainland Ukuleles), and I certainly know (for Michigan) Ben Hassinger's work with Mighty Uke Day and all connected activities. I will also mention Kala's generosity with Waterman for many schools.

If you are a Florida or Michigan resident and you have a uke club that would love to support music educators, or know of excellent music store that deals with ukulele, could you please leave some information in this thread?

Also...I'll have some time on my hands for these conventions--and would appreciate anyone wanting to get together to play, sing, eat, etc in the evenings....or even accepting/begging rides from place to place (although I'm not opposed to taking a taxi/uber).

And while this falls into the realm of self-promotion, I am working on my own website (free) of ukulele in secondary music education at ukestuff.info (changed my avatar today), much like my existing techinmusiced.com

Thanks much,

Chris

Hi Chris,
I live across the bay from Tampa. If I'm off work, I'd love to meet with you. The BOD of TBUSCares are interested in getting ukuleles into school kids' hands. We may work through the Tampa and Pinellas library system to do that. I have the name and the # of the person in charge of music for Pinellas schools. I don't personally know any school music teachers, though.

Are you still doing ILMEA end of January? If so I would love to connect with you at some point. I'll be presenting a uke session as well.

Yes...I am in IL just for the day and then going back to my parent's house near Milwaukee before driving back up to the Twin Cities. January is packed!

Would love to meet up with you while I am there!

I grew up in Michigan, lived in West Palm Beach for a number of years, and am now back in Michigan. Some quick thoughts....

In Lansing, Michigan I recommend Elderly Instruments. They're pretty well known and maybe you've contacted them already.

Marshall Music has a number of locations throughout Michigan, including Grand Rapids. They've been around since the mid-1940's I think. Very well-known in Michigan.

Strings-By-Mail is based in Traverse City, MI.

My kids (11 and 9 years old) use Ukulele in the Classroom. That's a very recommendable set of resources.

I like Ukulele Tricks. The website is very well organized, and the content is very accessible for beginner through intermediate. Many quality free video lessons.

My kids started out with the Alfred Kids ukulele method books (2 volumes), which are a good starting point. They don't over emphasize strumming as some beginner books do.

I like the LiveUkulele website. LOTS of stuff but pretty well organized, including a section of beginner lessons.

PS - Marshall Music is a great store and they carry a wide range of instruments. They're the major supplier in Michigan for the middle school and high school band instrument market. So, they're connected to youth music education, but they really don't handle many ukes. They have a club that meets there once or twice a month, I think.

Last edited:
My local ukulele group ,St. Andrews Ukulele Orchestra ,is supporting and has donated ukes to several schools. I am new to the group and I think they get them form the Local music store. Leitz Music. I can get more specific info at our next group mtg.

Last edited:
Top Bottom