PDA

View Full Version : Tenor ukulele solidbody

FVGuitars
12-12-2016, 01:31 AM
Hello everyone!
This is my new ukulele, like an electric guitar.

Alder body, flamed maple top, Honduran mahogany neck, ebony fingerboard, Almuse "classic" pickup, Kluson deluxe tuning machine.

I hope you enjoy it. :)

http://www.fvguitars.com/en/ukulele-en/tenor-solidbody-2016.html

greenscoe
12-12-2016, 03:01 AM
It's always interesting to see what others are making. It's not my kind of uke but I can admire and appreciate the work that's gone into this. Its a very good looking instrument. Hope you are happy with the way it plays/sounds.

FVGuitars
12-12-2016, 03:43 AM
Thanks!
Initially to be honest I thought it was not my favorite instrument me too but during the construction process I learned to love it.
Now I think it's very funny to play! It's real rock ukulele :D
The sound is good! Absolutely no noise. In this regard I recommend Almuse pickup! It's very good humbucker!
:)

Rrgramps
12-12-2016, 06:05 AM
Wow! Very unique with what appears to be a bass humbucker pickup. Is it magnetic, and do you need metal strings?

The neck bolts are interesting too, wonder if that could applicable to acoustic bodies.

Wildestcat
12-12-2016, 07:16 AM
Very nice indeed! Great to discover there is a dedicated steel string uke pickup manufacturer in the UK :). I'm looking to build myself a solid body tenor to gain a wider string spacing than on my current Risa teardrop. The Risa is only 10mm string to string at the bridge, so the 12mm offered by the Almuse would be just right. Very interested to know whether you bought the bridge (and where from) or made your own?

FVGuitars
12-13-2016, 12:19 AM
Wow! Very unique with what appears to be a bass humbucker pickup. Is it magnetic, and do you need metal strings?

The neck bolts are interesting too, wonder if that could applicable to acoustic bodies.

Yes, it's magnetic and you need metal strings

Dan Gleibitz
12-13-2016, 12:26 AM
Superb! I love everything about it. The design, how the different woods go together, the finish.

Does it have a truss rod or carbon fibre reinforcement for the neck? I looked through all the pictures on your website and couldn't work it out.

Thanks for the tip on the Almuse pickups. I've been toying for a while with the idea of making a matching mini Gibson set (335, Les Paul and Firebird), accurately scaled except for the neck, but couldn't find pickups for the task. These would be perfect.

FVGuitars
12-13-2016, 12:40 AM
Very nice indeed! Great to discover there is a dedicated steel string uke pickup manufacturer in the UK :). I'm looking to build myself a solid body tenor to gain a wider string spacing than on my current Risa teardrop. The Risa is only 10mm string to string at the bridge, so the 12mm offered by the Almuse would be just right. Very interested to know whether you bought the bridge (and where from) or made your own?

thanks for this question.
This is only problem!
The bridge that I used is CB Gitty... 96292
In the drawing the strings spacing is 12mm but really this is wrong :( the space is about 10,5... this was a bad surprise for me in fact now I write to the seller.

Now, I had 2 options:
go to the blacksmith to remake the base plate, with new holes.... but I had no time for this.
so I insert small thicknesses between metal saddles. They are invisible and they report to 12mm the strings spacing.

This remains a problem to be solved!

I hope I explained myself.
Thanks
Francesco

FVGuitars
12-13-2016, 12:58 AM
Superb! I love everything about it. The design, how the different woods go together, the finish.

Does it have a truss rod or carbon fibre reinforcement for the neck? I looked through all the pictures on your website and couldn't work it out.

Thanks for the tip on the Almuse pickups. I've been toying for a while with the idea of making a matching mini Gibson set (335, Les Paul and Firebird), accurately scaled except for the neck, but couldn't find pickups for the task. These would be perfect.

Thanks.
Yes, I put carbon fiber reinforcement in to the neck. I'm sorry, I forgot to make a picture of this :( but you can trust me :)
Yes, the Almuse pickup is very good :)

thanks

Wildestcat
12-13-2016, 01:12 AM
thanks for this question.
This is only problem!
The bridge that I used is CB Gitty... 96292
In the drawing the strings spacing is 12mm but really this is wrong :( the space is about 10,5... this was a bad surprise for me in fact now I write to the seller.

Now, I had 2 options:
go to the blacksmith to remake the base plate, with new holes.... but I had no time for this.
so I insert small thicknesses between metal saddles. They are invisible and they report to 12mm the strings spacing.

This remains a problem to be solved!

I hope I explained myself.
Thanks
Francesco

Many thanks Francesco. Useful tip about the CG Gitty bridge spacing! I checked with Pete at Almuse - he makes his own bridges using the fender pattern saddles, so that's what I'll do.

Dan Gleibitz
12-13-2016, 08:23 PM
Hi Francesco,
Do you happen to have the dimensions of the pickup handy, or should I email Almuse? I can't help myself, I've started working on a CAD file for a mini Gibson 335...

FVGuitars
12-13-2016, 09:05 PM
Hi Francesco,
Do you happen to have the dimensions of the pickup handy, or should I email Almuse? I can't help myself, I've started working on a CAD file for a mini Gibson 335...

Hi,
This is the pickup drawing. It's good.

when you order Almuse pickup you can choose poles spacing.
I chose bridge pickup with 12mm poles spacing. This is in relation to the bridge saddles spacing.

f.

Dan Gleibitz
12-13-2016, 09:41 PM
Perfect. Thanks so much.

FVGuitars
12-13-2016, 10:08 PM
Ok!
thanks to my email cb Gitty change the measurement of strings spacing :)
It will be better for the next buyers.

FVGuitars
12-13-2016, 10:37 PM
I think this is best solution:
https://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=398

Wildestcat
12-15-2016, 03:59 AM
Thanks again Francesco - the Rolls Royce of bridges and infinite spacing possibilities, but at $100 a set a bit out of my range! My "Aggressor" pickup arrived this morning from Pete at Almuse - great service as I only ordered two days ago and we have the Christmas postal rush to contend with. I chose the Agressor over the Classic for the 4-wire connectivity, which will hopefully allow several switched tone/volume options and negate the need for a twin pick up instrument. Now all I need to do is design myself a uke to fit it!

FVGuitars
12-15-2016, 07:02 AM
Thanks again Francesco - the Rolls Royce of bridges and infinite spacing possibilities, but at $100 a set a bit out of my range! My "Aggressor" pickup arrived this morning from Pete at Almuse - great service as I only ordered two days ago and we have the Christmas postal rush to contend with. I chose the Agressor over the Classic for the 4-wire connectivity, which will hopefully allow several switched tone/volume options and negate the need for a twin pick up instrument. Now all I need to do is design myself a uke to fit it!

Well!
All good wishes for your work!
:D

Wildestcat
01-21-2017, 02:56 AM
I've just taken delivery of a set of these : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=391681177886#ht_500wt_1180

String spacing issues for a solid body uke now sorted - quality is better than I expected, and under 12 for the set of four seem very reasonable!