Travel Uke?

olokun82

Reaction score
Yea I know, Ukes are small........not small enough though=) anyone know of any backpacking ukes? I'm planning a 2010 thru hike of the appalachian trail and wanted to bring my uke but its actually an awkward size to try and pack. I haven't found any except for a Martin Soprano Backpacking Uke.....think I'll have to go custom for a concert-tenor sized backpacker model?

These travel ukes sound terrible! Isn't this what Flukes and Fleas are for?

You can always check out the travel uke that Dave over at Waverly Street Ukuleles has up for sale now.

He even has a video of him playing it if you want to hear the sound. I got a banjolele from him and the worksmanship is fantastic (and that travel uke is quite a deal especially with the built in pickup) :D

try the Kala Brand thin travel ukes they sound loud and surprisingly like full size ukuleles

I've traveled the world with an Ovation Applause UAE20 soprano. It's weathered many storms and still plays superbly.

Just two days ago, I tried one of those Kala thin ukes at Giacoletti Music http://www.carlsbadmusic.com and it's just like Mike states - Full volume and rich tone, from a small profile instrument. They're gonna' be popular sellers. Ric

Last edited:
Depends on where you backpack and the conditions. A Fluke or Flea would seem one of the most durable ukes. Not as susceptible to humidity, bumping, etc.

But that thin Kala sure is appealling...

I've traveled the world with an Ovation Applause UAE20 soprano. It's weathered many storms and still plays superbly.

Just two days ago, I tried one of those Kala thin ukes at Giacoletti Music http://www.carlsbadmusic.org and it's just like Mike states - Full volume and rich tone, from a small profile instrument. They're gonna' be popular sellers. Ric

Should that be carlsbadmusic.COM?

I would go with a risa solid too, but I wouldnt even bring an amp. Well if i did i would get a honeytone, but that defeats the purpose of traveling light. Even though honeytones are lightweight and small, as a backpacker, I know it would just take up space.

I'm not a backpacker, but I've been carrying my Risa Solid Soprano through airports all over the country--I just toss it into my small garment bag with my clothes. Since the Risa is a solid piece of maple you really don't need to worry about damaging it. I don't bother with an amp while traveling.

If you're a backpacker, it's all about weight. I've an old Regal that I bought at a swap meet for $15 that weighs 9 oz. I see the Martin page doesn't even list weight, and the Ohana sopranino weighs in at about 13 oz., as I recall. My Regal has gone many a mile, bungeed to the back of my pack. I carry a newspaper rainy-day bag, which weighs nothing and works great. Keywords: Cheap. Light. And if you need a songbook, consider this: You can turn Chordie lyric/chord pages into .txt files and save them onto an iPod nano, which makes your songbook weigh in at, what, 2 oz.?

I love my Ohana sopranino. Loud, very solid and decent sound.

Let us know what you decide on.

jake must really like the travel kala

Attachments

• Jake_and_Drake.jpg
    Jake_and_Drake.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 29
Top Bottom