Are you a player who sings or a singer who plays?

Are you a player who sings or a singer who plays?

• I'm primarily a player who sings

Votes: 27 32.1%
  • I'm primarily a singer who plays

Votes: 32 38.1%
  • Neither. I don't sing, I just play.

Votes: 25 29.8%

• Total voters

Tootler

Reaction score
I first noticed this with singer/guitarists. Some are primarily singers who use their guitar to provide basic accompaniment while others are mainly guitarists who happen to sing and will do more elaborate things with their accompaniment because their primary interest is in the guitar itself.

I've noticed on this forum we seem to have a lot of players who sing - they're interested in extended chords and adding little licks and such to their accompaniment. as well using as fancy strums or picking

I'm basically a singer who plays and I keep my accompaniments simple. It's the song that's important and the lyrics should come out.

Which are you?

I don't think I fit in any of the categories given. I sing and I play, but I don't think I'm particularly good at either, and I don't put a particular focus on either. It's just good stress relief.

I don't sing when playing bc im more into classical music however there are some nice songs put out by schubert and debussy and chopin i would love to learn if someone could transcribe for uke but the singing part is also virtuosic so Ill just sing Christmas carols for now.

I don't think I fit in any of the categories given. I sing and I play, but I don't think I'm particularly good at either, and I don't put a particular focus on either. It's just good stress relief.

It's not really a case of how good you are but what do you see as your main interest?

Health warning. Not to be taken too seriously.

I'm winning in the poll! I only play.

This. I think it would be a stretch to refer to me either as a player or a singer :)

(I guess that I primarily play to accompany myself singing. I don't really play any instrumental stuff. I just do songs.)

Since the OP describes a singer who plays as being better at or more interested in singing and describes a player who sings as being better at or more interested in playing, the poll has a problem -- it needs to have an option for people who are not better at and/or are no more interested in either singing or playing. That's how I would describe myself, but there isn't an option for me in the poll.

I've noticed on this forum we seem to have a lot of players who sing - they're interested in extended chords and adding little licks and such to their accompaniment. as well using as fancy strums or picking

I'm basically a singer who plays and I keep my accompaniments simple. It's the song that's important and the lyrics should come out.

Which are you?

Wow! What a really great question!

And my answer is: I don't know.I've been singing my whole life - although not particularly well - and I started playing guitar about 46 years ago - also not particularly well - and started playing ukulele about 5 years ago, when I couldn't play guitar anymore.

I sing, and I play, and I try to do both at the same time. so I think I have to let other people answer that for me. I never thought of it, and even though I am thinking about it, I have no answer.

-Kurt​

I'm much more interested in instrumentals - but I have tried a 'strum & sing', & no doubt will again, but mostly I have 'talked' my way through a 'song', or one of the ditties I've written. :)

I am probably more a singer (really amateur by the way) than a player.
I am more focused on lyrics and emotions that should evoke than perfect or fancy playing, even if I like to embellish my playing a little with some licks.
I like to do some instrumental (and I do some), but I love to sing when I play and use instrumental only when I need some voice rest or when I can't make all that noise.
So, probably I am more a "singer" than a "player".

I'm a lifelong whistler and singer who started to play ukulele so I can strum along with myself. I'm lucky to live in the woods, so there are no neighbors to annoy. I can get pretty loud.

It's funny about whistling.....I thought it was genetic since my father was a whistler, but my kids don't (can't) whistle. Is it a generational thing? Do kids today whistle?

I tried to learn as a child, but I just couldn't. I think it might be to do with the shape and flexibility of the lips and tongue. Anyway, I definitely vote for genetic rather than generational.

I just play, I don't sing or whistle. I can barely play and talk at the same time! :) I think if I ever felt that just playing isn't enough, I'll look into learning harmonica and use that as as a voice (harmonics look very collectible, so many different ones!).

Excellent question. I will not read too much into this as I am not ultra talented in either discipline. I have always sang..........long before I picked up a uke. Singing makes me happy........do you sing because you are happy or are you happy because you sing, that is the question.

As much as I love fingerpicking and chord melodies I am most happy while singing and playing the uke to accompany myself.

Since the OP describes a singer who plays as being better at or more interested in singing and describes a player who sings as being better at or more interested in playing, the poll has a problem -- it needs to have an option for people who are not better at and/or are no more interested in either singing or playing. That's how I would describe myself, but there isn't an option for me in the poll.

It's really a continuum and I was aware of that when I set up the poll. However, I deliberately left out the 'both' option as I think most people will incline one way or the other.

Not to be taken too seriously by the way. Just a matter of interest and I have long felt there this distinction, observing others.

Just because I primarily see myself as a singer doesn't mean I don't want to improve as a player, btw. Just that my focus is towards the singing and the accompaniment is to support my singing and I basically keep it simple.

Excellent question. I will not read too much into this as I am not ultra talented in either discipline. I have always sang..........long before I picked up a uke. Singing makes me happy........do you sing because you are happy or are you happy because you sing, that is the question.

As much as I love fingerpicking and chord melodies I am most happy while singing and playing the uke to accompany myself.

I like this one. I do think singing makes you feel better, happier - however you express it.

I know that when I come away from a singing event or weekend, I always feel better, more positive about myself and the world in general. Yes, I reckon you can say singing makes you happy.

Even my dogs have requested that I don't sing.
Strictly "just play' for me.
Can't whistle either, though I've always wanted to be able to do so.

My instructional method as I include ukuleles in choir is to mirror how I see ukuleles used at jams and conventions...as an accompaniment first. I know that the BC ukulele methods seek to teach melody and rhythm in addition to chords--but I see chords as the primary function and melody as secondary.

This was solidified in my thinking after seeing two major, prominent ukulele performers over the last month. The solo ukulele player was incredibly gifted, but the concert ended up being boring because most of the songs were unknown and off an album. The other player was not as gifted as a player, but sang as well and told stories--making their performance of their own repertoire (still unknown songs) much more enjoyable.

Top Bottom