First one finished!

pahu

Reaction score
Built in the Palomar College Ukulele Building Class over the last 4 months.
1 Class per week made for a long build, but I'm pleased with the first attempt. Mistakes are something you use for "Design Opportunities" according to the Class Instructor.
Using that theory, I had quite a few opportunities.
Spruce top/ Maple back & sides/Acacia bindings,Headstock veneer and Tail wedge/Mahogany neck/Rosewood fretboard & Bridge.
Pore sealed with Seal Lac and finished with Royal-Lac Super Blonde Shellac-wet sanded to 12.000 Micro Mesh.
I dont like "ears" on Ukuleles so I chose Grover friction tuners. I think they go well with the vintage Gibson Tenor headstock design I 'borrowed"
Headstock inlay was laser cut , then filled with colored epoxy
The build Thread is here:
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...ilding-class-Palomar-College-San-Diego-County

fin7.jpgfin6.jpgfin5.jpgfin4.jpgfin3.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations on successfully completing your first build. I really enjoyed your build thread, the instrument is beautiful and you should be very proud.

Great work Pahu!

Congratulations Pahu. How does it play/sound?

The Royal-Lac finish looks great and really shows off the Maple well. Was it difficult to do?

Dan, I only strung it yesterday and strings are still stretching, but so far I really like the Spruce/Maple combination.
The Royal Lac is just a fancified Shellac, and application is pretty much the same. I like that it's local to me here in San Diego, and the Owner of the Company
is very responsive to inquiries. He emailed me back the same day when I had a question. He also imports the Shellac flakes if you want to mix it yourself.
https://www.shellacfinishes.com/product-category/royal-lac/
You do need to let it dry longer than traditional shellac before handling and sanding.

It also comes in various natural tints- I wanted as clear as possible("Super Blonde" is not as yellow as other Pre-mixed shellac in a can)
A well-respected Guitar maker did a video on the application:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6ofOgw-Bno
They also have a new product that is a 2-part catalyzed finish that cures very hard in a few days.

Last edited:
COngrats- now repeat :)

Very nice. A lovely instrument Pahu. You should be proud.... Oh as far as sound? Give it time to settle in. I was watching a video on the forum posted a few days ago about a master guitar builder (forget the name but a real craftsman) and one quote really struck me: "It takes a couple of weeks before the wood realizes that it isn't a tree anymore but is now a musical instrument." Or something like that. Give it a little time and then see what it sounds like.

What a beautiful ukulele! I bet Ken had a lot of good things to say about it. By the end of next semester, you'll wish the class was repeatable. My second build is black acacia. Several people in your class used it and made some gorgeous instruments. Congratulations again.

What a beautiful ukulele! I bet Ken had a lot of good things to say about it. By the end of next semester, you'll wish the class was repeatable. My second build is black acacia. Several people in your class used it and made some gorgeous instruments. Congratulations again.

The only way to repeat is to get an "F" grade...hmmm, I wonder....

Superb job. So great. Looking forward to seeing #2

Top Bottom