Request for information

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Someone just emailed me for 'free' information. I replied it would cost them $50... or they could do a proper search for it couldn't they? I'm constantly amused but people who think that I am some sort of public service. How do they think I earn a living - giving it away? Sheeesh!

I guess it all depends on your state of mind. Pete, I don't have any issue with people who feel as if they should be paid for their time. Most of my professional "hobby" (work that does not generate income) is technology in music education, and I feel as if I am giving back to the profession through my work--which includes 1-on-1 e-mails and training sessions. But that doesn't add to the bank account, either.

My guess is that the questions were about ukulele building--if it was a potential buyer, the need to please the customer would come first.

I would do what you likely did--write an e-mail back and explain the value of your time, and offer 1-on-1 counseling for a fee for a specific period of time.

I went back to school after 18 years working in a factory. It was a technical course and the second year I had an instructor that gave the basics of the labs and after that the students were expected to go to the file cabinets and pull up the manufacturer manuals of the equipment we we going to use. We fumbled our way through stuff, troubleshot our mistakes, looked up stuff on the net, it was a good learning experience. Years later I got hired on as the tech for the department. One of the other instructors teaching an electronic communications class had to fly off and I watched over his classes for the day.

The class taking a different second year discipline came in, I told them the instructions were on the board. One of the first things that you had to do was From windows go into a dos shell (mimics an older machine) to run the software they needed to do the lab. Half the class didn't listen and tried running it in Windows, some asked questions and when I looked at the documentation for the lab I found what they were asking for in the notes. The next class which was going through the course I did came in, I told them the instructions were on the board, they all went into a dos shell, read their lab material, barely had to answer a question.The first class was used to getting spoon fed with fill in the blank labs. The second were used to getting an outline and figuring out what was needed to do the labs themselves. The graduates of our course got snapped up right after graduation as the employers knew they were getting guys that could think for themselves. Some of the employers were grads of the same course and knew what they were getting. The instructor taught the course for 33 years, decided that was long enough as some grads kids were coming through the course.

I have trained people, taught the same course I took. Told the students don't bellyache to me about the course load, I took the same course and I sat right there, pointing at my old seat. I have always been good with sharing information, documented much of my guitar learning experience for all to see, mistakes and all. I have been asked questions on the electronic side of the guitar world, tube amps particularly. Sometimes my answers were just enough to point people in the right direction, sometimes adding Google can be your friend at times. Sometimes people need to learn that they can figure things out themselves. The get more confident when they know they can.

Does the phrase about Glass houses ring any bells? :rolleyes:

Probably not so much an admirer now.

No probably not... But Pete, couldn't you have maybe politely redirected them instead of demanding payment for information or even, dare I say this, helped them? There is this thing called good will and goodwill has its own rewards beyond monetary remuneration. Try it. It can be surprisingly rewarding.

Going through life with the notion that every interaction has to be a business transaction seems very unpleasant to me.

Remind me again, how much did you pay each luthier on your info gathering trip?

A couple of days ago, a local high school student asked if I could help her find a mentor for her senior project. This couldn't be just anyone, as her project will explore a specific scientific discipline. It took less than 24 hours to line her up with a qualified, professional scientist who was not only willing to help but actually thanked me for connecting him with this promising student. Life can be so sweet. If you let it be.

Last edited:
If I had a dollar for everyone I've helped I'd be a rich man by now. This is a sharing community. People need help to get started on the right foot. They'll eventually find their own way with the craft. BTW, I'm primarily self taught, having learned before the advent of the Internet, YouTube, forums and the like. As a result it took me a long time to be able to build a quality uke. If I can help someone avoid those stupid mistakes I've made I'm happy to help. But I live in Hawaii, many things are different here.

Last edited:
Remind me again, how much did you pay each luthier on your info gathering trip?

This is exactly what I was thinking.

If I had a dollar for everyone I've helped I'd be a rich man by now. This is a sharing community. People need help to get started on the right foot. They'll eventually find their own way with the craft. BTW, I'm primarily self taught, having learned before the advent of the Internet, YouTube, forums and the like. As a result it took me a long time to be able to build a quality uke. If I can help someone avoid those stupid mistakes I've made I'm happy to help. But I live in Hawaii, many things are different here.

that is what makes you Chuck Moore..it is not always about the build...it is about the people you buy from too....
many things different if you Live Aloha..:)

my 2 cents

Nice going Saltytri. Those kinds of connections can turn out to be life-changing.

A couple of weeks ago I met and did a minor favour for a chap who builds and installs wardrobes and the like. At the time I asked for some advice about replacing our entry door and sidelight, and he was very helpful. Several days later, out of the blue he rang to say he'd be here on Saturday to help with the job and would not take no for an answer. He drove 3 hours (each way) with a van and tools and we spent a few pleasant hours working on it, sharing a meal and chatting before it was done and he headed home.

He said the best way to repay his kindness was to do something nice for somebody else, and maybe they'd do something nice for the next person, and so on, which would make the world a better place.

It was great. I got a new door, a new determination to help other people, and a new friend.

Nice going Saltytri. Those kinds of connections can turn out to be life-changing.

A couple of weeks ago I met and did a minor favour for a chap who builds and installs wardrobes and the like. At the time I asked for some advice about replacing our entry door and sidelight, and he was very helpful. Several days later, out of the blue he rang to say he'd be here on Saturday to help with the job and would not take no for an answer. He drove 3 hours (each way) with a van and tools and we spent a few pleasant hours working on it, sharing a meal and chatting before it was done and he headed home.

He said the best way to repay his kindness was to do something nice for somebody else, and maybe they'd do something nice for the next person, and so on, which would make the world a better place.

It was great. I got a new door, a new determination to help other people, and a new friend.
Great story Dan, paying the gesture forward, excellent concept..:)

Let me help you: As usual I didn't reveal the source of the enquiry or the text but this was the gist of it - I've watched your video on slotted headstock jig and seen mention of. Can you give me the plans for it?.

I don't crow about what I do but last year I mentored two students as interns, have employed two part-time apprentices with barely enough funds to afford to do so, shared with my peers my sources and learning - that is what my Fellowship Travels were about and given away a good number of luthier sets of wood to those who asked for help rather than demanded it. This coming year I have two more students as interns lined up who while helping me will have access to my workshop, materials and methods.

At one point I had 134 videos on YouTube explaining the process of building with over 2000 subscribers. Most of the professional builders on this forum thought I was nuts giving my knowledge away so I listened to them and took them down.

I live inn a glass house but do not throw stones. The reaction here is very interesting if not somewhat revealing. If you want to see how I 'give' to the community on a daily basis, check out my DAILY live broadcasts on my Facebook group - The Pete Howlett Ukulele Club. I don't know of any other builder doing a daily show and tell for this community. If there is, please give me the url and I'll watch :)

I'll help anyone who asks. I have given away everything I know for free. You want to intern in my workshop it's there for you.

Side bar: Ask any luthier where they get their wood from and you will truly learn about sharing...

Last edited:
I've subsequently republished both here and on my facebook page. They also may be refering to the video when it was up. I get quite a few "Where's that video you did on.... gone?" still.

[QUOTE="Pete Howlett]I'll help anyone who asks. I have given away everything I know for free. You want to intern in my workshop it's there for you[/QUOTE]
As long as they pay 500 pounds an hour to stand in a corner, right?

While I'm continuously impressed with your terrific ukes Pete, your attitude never fails to amaze either. Count yourself lucky that your prospective buyers dont seem to read this forum.

Top Bottom