Pono MTH Tenor vs. Cordoba 30 CE Tenor?

Barry Canada

Reaction score
I am relatively new to the Ukulele. I am an advanced mandolin player. I presently have a Kiwaya Soprano KS-6 and love the tone and neck playability. I am looking into getting a tenor and wanted advice about these 2 tenors. They are both used and available for about $325. Ant advice would be welcome! The pono is an older Chinese made instrument. Thanks!

Last edited:
I own both a Pono (MGTD) and Córdoba 30 series (32t) tenors. However they are mango and spruce/rosewood respectively and sound distinctively different. Both are fairly new and I don't know if the specs and design for the Chinese made Pono are different from the Java factory. Hopefully you will get a chance to play each of the two before you decide.

I find my Pono to to be well built, sturdy, but still with good sustain and volume. It is my favorite instrument. The Córdoba is lighter built, with excellent sustain and volume. It feels more fragile to me and I don't travel with it. Both are beautiful instruments. They are very different particularly in how they are built and how they play. The biggest difference is in the neck. The Pono's neck is thick while the Córdoba's is thin. The Córdoba has a wider fretboard 1.5" vs. 1-3/8 on the Pono. The Pono construction is standard dovetail neck attachment while the Córdoba uses a Spanish Heel.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of these mahogany tenors. Except with used instruments there is always a risk. My opinion (for what it is worth) is that the Córdoba would be better if you are primarily finger picker and the Pono would excel for strumming.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I am mainly a chord melody player doing lots of picking and rhythm accompaniment on the mandolin and would like to do the same on the Ukulele. I need to plug in to play with other folks. These two seem to be in my price range to try out the ukulele voicing. I think it could be a secondary instrument for my musical repetoire. If I really get into it and progress I will certainly move towards a higher end Ukulele. All comments welcome!

Last edited:
Top Bottom