Thomastik-Infeld wounds

hawaii 50

Reaction score
I see that Andrew has the Thomastik-Infeld wound .030 and .027 in stock now on The Ukulele Site....the price looks good too....

Wow - glad I read this one and did not just rely on the title. I was afraid that this was about some horrible damage inflicted by some new Thomastik-Infeld weapon - you know "woonds" instead of "wownds". Stay safe out there.

Wow - glad I read this one and did not just rely on the title. I was afraid that this was about some horrible damage inflicted by some new Thomastik-Infeld weapon - you know "woonds" instead of "wownds". Stay safe out there.

That was an actual "LOL" for me.

And it reminds me of the time I was almost blinded by a flying bridge pin.

But seriously . . . OP, how would you describe these strings, and their likely best use? I've heard the name, but don't remember anything about them.

But seriously . . . OP, how would you describe these strings, and their likely best use? I've heard the name, but don't remember anything about them.

They are used for low G with a wound 3rd and 4th string. They have a very balanced sound and nice feel with an almost totally squeekless nature.

Following the lead of Chuck Moore, I've paired these with Oasis E and A strings and find that they work out very well.

Len is quite correct about Andrew's price on these being good!

Das a good price ... Mahalos!

Great that HMS has them now. Previously only 2 vendors had them in stock (as singles) regularly that I could find, stringsbymail.com and juststrings.com. Otherwise, you can get the FULL 6-string classical guitar sets in quite a few places for the CF127 or the CF128 which has a wound '3rd' or 'G' string in classical guitar, and THAT is the CF27 or 0.027" string mentioned here. Elderly, Amazon, and about a dozen others all sell the full sets online. I use them on 3 of my guitars.

If you search the forum for 'Thomastik' you will find threads going back at least 3 yrs ago, with fellow UU brother OldePhart (John) singing their praises back then. Many discussions have happened since where folks tried and liked them better than other smooth-wound string options...these are CHROME FLATWOUND with a stranded silk core, and somewhat different in feel and composition than other supposed 'squeakless' strings.

About 1 yr ago, I received a PM from Chuck Moore, thanking me for talking about how much I liked them as often as I did here on UU, and since my talking about them had inspired him to try them, which he was very happy with, and now with them having the Moore Bettah 'seal of approval' it seems that the word is spreading even faster and farther that these are great strings.

They are used for low G with a wound 3rd and 4th string. They have a very balanced sound and nice feel with an almost totally squeekless nature.

Yes, I agree, just to add that...

The CF30 is usually for the low-G and the CF27 is good for a wound-C.

Similarly, on a linear tuned baritone, MANY folks enjoy the use of the CF35 for the low-D and the CF30 for the G string.

Hi i'm based in the UK and found this company selling what i think is the strings we're talking about could somebody kindly check for me before i purchase as i'm not sure .
http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/stri...-jazz-swing-027-flatwound-single-string-p6758

edit- actually NO, these strings we are talking about here are CLASSICAL GUITAR strings, that JS27 string is a STEEL STRING meant for electric guitar and will likely damage a ukulele from excessive tension while also not being able to intonate properly.

I believe it's from the Thomastik-Infeld Classic N Series CF128 set.

Yes, that is the 'wound 3rd' i.e., CF27 or 'chrome flat-wound' 0.027" string mentioned in the OP which is also included in the CF128 set. However the JS27 string is NOT the same strings as being sold on HMS as per the OP.

I have included a link a my post below for frigiliana to see the specific item in question....

Last edited:

haha sorry bout the spelling....it was bedtime when I put it in the forum...haha

Hi i'm based in the UK and found this company selling what i think is the strings we're talking about could somebody kindly check for me before i purchase as i'm not sure .
http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/stri...-jazz-swing-027-flatwound-single-string-p6758

You can buy the CF27 and CF30 strings as singles in Europe also. I got mine here and here. I've bought quite a few things from them and they are a reliable store. They'll also ship to UK. (Not sure what the shipping costs are, but it should come out cheaper than importing them from the US and also cheapr than buying the whole CF128 set, which costs double of what the two single strings cost together).

DUD, thanks for the description.

How would the T-I low G compare to the Fremont Soloist, which I currently use?

You can buy the CF27 and CF30 strings as singles in Europe also. I got mine here and here. I've bought quite a few things from them and they are a reliable store. They'll also ship to UK. (Not sure what the shipping costs are, but it should come out cheaper than importing them from the US and also cheapr than buying the whole CF128 set, which costs double of what the two single strings cost together).

Admittedly, by being from the USA, I am ignorant of many vendors in the EU, but Thomastik-Infeld is out of Vienna, Austria and I'd think that at least in the EU, retail prices might be cheaper for any case where BREXIT is not involved, no?

Mivo - does Germany have favorable trade relations with Austria?

I think i've found the ones, i think i'll have to buy a set can't see individual ones . I've checked out the OP link but the shipping is more than the strings so i'd prefer to get them nearer UK , thanks for all the advise .This is the set link .http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/stri...light-tension-flat-wound-guitar-strings-p9055

Just looked again i might be wrong this might be for one string really confused now .

Last edited:
How would the T-I low G compare to the Fremont Soloist, which I currently use?

On my Barron River tenor, I prefer the Fremont Soloist if it's the only wound string. It has a little less boom than the Thomastik-Infeld string and I feel it fits in better with the Worth Clears. The TI stands out more. However, if you also use a wound C string, then I'd recommend getting the two Thomastik-Infeld strings (CF27 and CF30) as they go perfectly together. (I believe this also depends on the instrument.)

Mivo - does Germany have favorable trade relations with Austria?

Yes, both are members of the EU, so no import/export taxes between those countries (and almost no border controls). Same currency also.

@frigiliana: See my post above. You can buy them from a German vendor that ships to the UK also. Should not be overly costly in terms of shipping, at least as long as the UK is still in the EU.

Top Bottom