Southcoast ML/O-NWM on the Pono MTD-SP oh yes!

steel rider

Reaction score
I wasn't sure about the wound strings. I usually don't like the squeak. But I wanted to try based on Aaron's video on HMS. These are polished "mixed material" and don't squeak much. They are a RESOUNSING AND SUSTAINING YES. just wanted to mention it for people who shy away from wound strings.

Attachments

• IMG_8096.jpg
    IMG_8096.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 52
I received a MTD-SP from HMS in September. I requested Southcoast string - Medium rentrant because of Aaron's video. Strings are nice as you say and drive the Engelmann soundboard real well. I will try other strings as I always do searching for the best sound but must say these are pretty good start. I see your top has a grain similar to the model I Received. Very well built ukulele. I love the radius fretboard and the finished make this Uke seem indestructible. I'm also a fan of the Grover tuners. This models weighs more than my AT? It is also a nice contract in sound to my other ukuleles. I find the gloss finish gives it a more compressed sound. Very good value as are all Pono's . I noticed that this model has a bolt on neck, while my AT has a dove tail. I've been meaning to email Andrew and ask it Pro Classics are dove tail joint or bolt on. Do you have any idea on this? The joint is great just didn't know they used a bolt on for this model.

did not know Pono went to bolt on necks.......

I own several Pono different models, including a Pro Classic tenor and a recent baritone, but I have never seen a bolt on neck.

I'm not sure if it's a bolt on neck. There is a truss rod, which has a bolt clearly visible in my photo.

I've used Living Waters and PHDs on this uke. Both are very similar IMO and sounded great. My other go to string is Fremont Blacklines but I haven't tried them on this uke.

I looked at my MTD-SP again. I can see the truss rod and lower down a bolt at the heal thru the end block. I will take a picture on my IPhone and post later. I emailed tech support asking for clarification. More when I hear back from HMS and get photo posted.

HMS confirmed that Pono recently went to bolt on neck a few months ago. I'm still trying to confirm if all models or just some. Reason cited was bolt on make it easier down the road to do a neck rest if needed. A truss rod can only do so much.

That said, I love both my Pono's. Also, many big name ukuleles have used bolt on neck, biscuit joint as alternatives
To a set neck. I think all methods are fine. It's the maker that counts.

Nothing wrong with bolt-on necks. Taylor has been using them for decades on their guitars and they're highly regarded instruments.

My new Pono ATD-CR Tenor does not have a bolt-on neck.

Top Bottom