This is why ukes should be shipped in hard cases before boxing & shipping.

Doc_J

Reaction score
This is why ukes should be in hard cases before boxing & shipping.

I don't expect my packages to be handled with kid gloves.
But, my Postal Delivery today serves as a strong example why you should always use a hard case when shipping a uke.

Fortunately, the uke in this package came in a hard case and a double box. It's a cold day here so I'm waiting for the case & instrument to warm up before opening.

I was surprised that the mail carrier didn't apologize about the condition of the package. But, it wasn't something that they did personally, and they were quite busy.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad your treasure was duly protected... kudos to the shipper :)

Hopefully your new baby wasn't damaged Hodge. Just the existing temperatures alone would give me cause for concern. Due to past experiences I don't like to ship or receive any ukes during the winter months.

Ok Hodge, I'll bite...whats inside of the box?
Happy Holidays

Hi Glenn, It's a new-to-me Pono baritone, ebony & spruce with a slotted head. I wanted something a little more articulate than my Favilla baritone.

Hopefully your new baby wasn't damaged Hodge. Just the existing temperatures alone would give me cause for concern. Due to past experiences I don't like to ship or receive any ukes during the winter months.

Hi Dana. I know what you mean about not wanting to ship ukes in the winter. Shipping in the cold has cracked a few finishes. Fortunately today it is about 45 to 50°. No shipping or temperature damage on this one. The shipper knew what he was doing, with the case and double box.

That package looks pretty decent still compared to some stuff I've received from both the postal service (DHL here) and couriers. The highlight was a parcel earlier this year that had been repackaged by the postal service because the original box had been destroyed. The contents weren't breakable, but I don't know what could possibly have happened to get the packaging so destroyed that it needed to get repackaged.

The only courier I never had this experience (roughly handled parcels) with is UPS. Not sure if they take more care or if I have been lucky.

Unfortunately, they are extremely useless. I've tried on two different occasions to make a claim. They do what they can to avoid you and there is no one to call.

I use an outside insurer that I had heard good things about. I have never had to make a claim with them, so I don't actually know if they would do what they say, but their reputation when I was looking makes me continue to use them. U-PIC insurance.

Congrats on the Baritone. I have a Pono RBSH C Spruce and Rosewood.

They are wonderful.

My Barron River arrived from Australia with the box looking quite squashed. But it was safe inside, thanks to the case. Glad your baritone made it safely!

so, lets see it!!

Glad to hear that the uke was safe inside. So how do you like it? And yes, let's see some pictures!

Ready to pass along the Favilla?
I'm keeping the Favillia, just adding a 2nd baritone.

Glad to hear that the uke was safe inside. So how do you like it? And yes, let's see some pictures!

I like this Pono EBSH, but I think there are better strings for it than the Alohi strings it came with. Going to try Aquila reds and Martin fluorocarbons. Sorry, no pictures yet.

Congrats Hodge!
Our Duke banjolele was shipped in a (Pretty good) gig bag, inside a box, with NO padding. It made it with no damage, even though the box looked mashed in, all the way from NZ! I was amazed.

Top Bottom