I would like to expand my knowledge of scales but I am overwhelmed..

Philipraposo1982

Reaction score
i basically only know a few major scales and a bunch of random chords.

I really want to focus on expanding in these areas to be able to begin to incorporate solo's in my instrumentals that I know / will learn. Or just to solo and build my own riffs and such.

Any guidance would be great, I am not sure where to start. so much information out there.

thanks in advanced.

If you know a few major scales on the uke, you're ahead of me. Random chords? I think they're only random if the don't belong in the key you're playing in.
Click on Learn to Play the Ukulele button above.....

I know a ton of chords but not based on any scales. I don't know how to find which chords belong to each scale.

I know the c major scale pattern and how if i move it around i can make other major scales. I also have been working on learning all the notes on the fret board and calling em out as i play scales.

Maybe you should learn a bit of music theory to see how these things fit together. The basis of music theory isn't all that difficult. C major chord is the root chord of the C major scale, the G chord is the dominant (chord V) and F chord is the sub dominant (chord IV). So chord 4, 5 followed by 1 (F,G,C) is a very common chord progression or cadence (ending) in western music. Scales are the very foundations. Go to the G major scale and G major becomes the root chord, C and D then become chords 4 and 5.
I'm beginning to stretch the limits of my knowledge. It was nearly 30 years ago that I did this stuff and I've forgotten much. I think I need a refresher course too.
Harmony can be a very interesting subject. . . . providing you are into that sort of thing!

I have been reading all about this stuff since posting this to get my head into it. But yeah I think its going to vital for me to know a lot of theory as I want to ultimately create my own instrumental cover songs.

learning about how to determine what chords belong to what scale and how to build chords from scales.

Hey Philip,

I totally know what you mean. There is a ton of info out there which can really be too much when you are trying to figure out a straightforward way to learn. My best advice is to work really hard on understanding music theory. Once I started to learn more theory, I was able to see what chords fit into what scale, what are appropriate scales to play over certain chord progressions, how to improvise over songs etc. I certainly have room for improvement at each of these things, but I am better now then I would have been had I not learned theory. To start expanding your musical theory knowledge try this video on youtube -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gHEIF0rT2w

When you open it, you may be surprised to see that the guy is a piano instructor and that he will teach a music theory course on the piano. It may seem odd to learn music theory on a piano for the ukulele, but this guy teaches very well. If you follow his videos,from 1 all the way to 50, you will be surprised at how advanced your knowledge of music theory will be; he covers practically everything that you would ever want to know. And the best part is, it is all free on youtube! So if you don't like it, you won't lost any money. I hope this can help advance your playing. Best of luck!

Thank you, I will check it out.

Maybe you can help me with something. I was reading about the c major scale and figuring out the chords that go with it. I understand how the basic triad works but where I am not understand is how do you know if the chord is going to be a minor, major, dim, ect.

Referring to the c major scale, looking at G chord, this would be 1, 3, 5. so it ends up being G, A, and C from the scale but that only tells me the notes not if its a minor chord or dim ect.

Can you explain what I am missing here?

Maybe you can help me with something. I was reading about the c major scale and figuring out the chords that go with it. I understand how the basic triad works but where I am not understand is how do you know if the chord is going to be a minor, major, dim, ect.

Referring to the c major scale, looking at G chord, this would be 1, 3, 5. so it ends up being G, A, and C from the scale but that only tells me the notes not if its a minor chord or dim ect.

There is a specific reason each chord is maj, min, dim in a scale. If you go through with the music theory you will be able to find the answer to your questions for sure. For now it would just be good to know which chords are what since the why is such a tricky subject. So here's a uke minutes from ukulele underground that explains what chords are what. -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH0Ia27et1M

Hope this helps a bit.

If you count up from G as your root, you should get

1 G
2 A
3 B
4 C
5 D

As you rightly say, the G chord - or any chord is 1, 3 & 5. So from above that will give you G, B & D. If you want the C chord, start with C as 1 and the F chord start with F as 1. It will work with minor chords too. For Am start with A as 1. In your previous post, it looks like you miscounted somehow.

Of course, there's more to it but that will get you started in the key of C.

that makes sense, thanks.

So even if its not a majr scale that "formula" for chord family still works right?

I would suggest learning all the notes of the ukulele, particularly those in the "first" position, and then learning the C Major Scale. There are many videos out there that can help.

In the Major Key (which means that the melody and chords are (mostly) based off the major scale), you can build different chords (usually 3 or more notes...however, the ukulele is limited to 4 total notes) using those chords.

If you take every other note in the scale, you build chord triads. Example: C, E, and G. Because of the space between the notes (intervals) of the chord, the resulting chord is a C Major chord. Intervals are important, but I am not going to go into them at this time.

The rest of the chord triads built in the Major scale of C:

D F A = d minor
E G B = e minor
F A C = F Major
G B D = G Major
A C E = a minor
B D F = b diminished

It is important to note that if the order of a chord is rearranged, such as E G C, it is still a C Major chord, but we call it an inverted chord. Most ukulele players don't even worry about inversions.

Of course, if you change major scales, the note names change, but the qualities of each chord in the same relative place in the scale stay the same. A chord triad built on the first note of a Major scale is a Major Chord. Always.

Eventually you learn that certain chords lead to other chords, which creates progressions and songs.

And the great thing about starting with C Major is that every note and chord is relatively easy to play in the first position on the ukulele.

Good luck!

Thank for that.

I currently know the c scale well in the first position and how that pattern can be moved to create other major scale. I also already know all the notes within the first 5 frets and have been working in the rest but its a bit of a process.

I did take piano lessons as a child so i do have some real basic theory knowledge.

Look on the Beginners Forum at the "Resources Sticky" You can find a whole slew of Info on theory and some quick cheater notes on lot s of things. I found a Key Chord Chart that shows all the chords that fit in all the Major and Minor keys. I use it to play the 1-4-5-7 in a standard 12 bar blues pattern to train myself in a Key. Can't find the link now but it has all seven chords that fit in each key, though I have found some songs that use different chords that aren't listed, but sound good.

The Howling Hobbit has a list of the Three or Four Chords in every key and most styles of music. But the Key Chord Chart has it all on one page. I printed out a couple of copies and my Uke Buddy laminated them so we have them handy in our song books, along with Chord fingerings in C and G tunings. It is a lot better than a Circle of Fifths chart, 'for us Olds. :eek:ld:

You just start on trying to learn something new each time you practice. Something small something palatable. Dont overwhelm yourself by looking at the big picture. I did take small bites here and there for piano and now after seven eight years I know a lot and I know all my scales like back of my hand. In class for final we need to play through Russian method two scales and I told her to pick for me and the whole class wooed (mind you we are all friends in class) I told them it is nothing of any monumental accomplishment bc I had been taking small bites of scales everyday. Focused on just that small bite every day.
After time before you know it, you realize you know a lot.

Great advice and I will take it to heart.

I have tried to do some simply arrangements with not much success. I have a very strong ear and can pull a melody from anything. I struggle with building the chords around the melody as I am unable to determine the key/scales used. Also not really sure how to build chords up besides ensuring the melody is on the highest string played.

The time I spent today, several hours I feel I have already learned a ton. All of which I made lots of notes on and feel like I have captured the theory and understand it.

I am finding the video lessons on YouTube that was linked above to be very good, so I will see that through. Already went through 12 of 50 videos. Mind you alot was review for things I have been taught in the past.

The piano is used to teach harmony because it's a much more visual instrument. You have these sets of black and white keys laid out in a logical manner. It's easy to find where the first C is and it;s easy to find the C which is an octave higher. Building your basic triads in C major on the piano is easy, chords I, IV, V are the same pattern. Try doing that on a ukulele/guitar and your visual clues are gone. It's much more difficult. I've just started to learn to play the piano and it took me all of 10 seconds to work out those 3 chords. Of course at some point you are going to have to transfer the harmony knowledge on to the uke, so it's a good idea to learn all the notes on all of the frets, all the way up the fretboard. The secret to learning harmony (probably anything) is no different to learning to play an instrument. Learn a bit each day, every day. If you are persistent then your knowledge builds. If you are extremely persistent then 2 or 3 years later you find that you've become a bit of an expert.

that makes sense, thanks.

So even if its not a majr scale that "formula" for chord family still works right?

Just to help out with this specifically: every type of chord has its own formula:

Major = 1 - 3 - 5
Minor = 1 - b3 - 5
Dom 7th = 1 - 3 - 5 - b7
Maj 7th = 1 - 3 - 5 - 7

So you start with the major key of each chord e.g. C =

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C D E F G A B

So C major = 1 3 5 = C E G
C minor = 1 b3 5 = C Eb G

These major & minor chord formula are called triads. Because you have four strings on your uke to build a chord you use these three notes and repeat one. So in a C chord played in the most common position (finger on 3rd fret of A string) the notes from the top of the ukulele physically are G C E C (the C has been repeated.)

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Matt

If you are playing the ukulele and want to do instrumental arrangements, start with the key of G. Take a look at Blue Roses Falling and Hallelujah. Key of G with a lot of open chords up the neck using the 4th string open as a drone. I almost see it as cheating.

As for the melody, it is in notes of the chords, I don't want to dissuade you from pursuing music theory, it is something I never did, but for simple arrangements it is not necessary. More difficult and complex arrangements may require it.

John

i have done really simple arrangements already, just by ear. stuff like happy birth day and the like.

I am looking to do some much more complex stuff so I am happily diving into some music theory. I know that the little theory I have from my old piano lesson days have stuck with me all these years and was easy to recall. It has most definitely helped me with me ukulele playing thus far and I feel like strengthening my knowledge will only make me a better player in the end and get me that much closer to my goals.

I am actually really enjoying it, i find it very interesting.

For anyone else reading this post I highly encourage you to check out the video series linked above if you want to learn some music theory. I have been going through the video lessons and they are well done and easy to follow. already on 16 of 50. so over a course of a month (which i think is tones of time) or less I will have improved a skill that I will carry with me for the rest of my music life. Great way to invest some time if you ask me.

I have recently learned 4 new christmas instrumentals that I am continuing to work on during the process as well. working out all the kinks. Also working on another instrumental too (super mario brothers theme), so i am still getting tons of hand on time too.

Top Bottom