Stick on side fret markers?

Nickie

Reaction score
Sorry, I think there was already a thread/question about this. But, our Duke banjo came without side fret markers. Is there a good stick on option for this?

I have used stickers on the fret board. I prefer using a permanent marker. Sharpie makes a white and a silver marker that works good. You can also use a small drill bit with your fingers and make a small indent before the marker. It comes out looking like an inlay.

I found a Jeep Club sticker in the basement and I punched two little circles out of it with a paper punch. Then I stuck one on the 5th fret and another on the 7th. It was supposed to be a temporary fix, but that was a year and a half ago. It is still going strong. They are a little bigger than you usually see, but actually they have worked well.

I too have used a small dab of artist paints (that we had on the shelf) but SaillingUke's suggestion on an indent is very good.

Thanks for bringing this up. I've been meaning to order some jacomo fret markers but kept putting it off. I just ordered enough for most of my ukes. They have side fret markers too.

Joyous Kwanzaa, Merry Christmas and keep strumming!

I use SailingUke's method, a small indentation in the side of the fretboard with a spot of contrasting colour in it ... dark marker pen on pale binding, white "correction" fluid on dark wood. Putting the colour in a dent means it's less likely to rub off as you play ;)

A small drill-bit is ideal, but I've used the point of the small blade on a pocket knife in the past with no problem ... just practice on a bit of similar material first (wood or plastic) to get a feel of how your blade cuts before using it on your instrument.

Just take a second or two extra to ensure your mark will be exactly between the two frets, it's surprising how noticeable even a small error can be when there's two immediately adjacent reference points !!

I bought different brands of fret dots, both sticker-type and rub-on transfer type and in both cases, they wore off or fell off after a few weeks. $10 wasted. After that I bought a box of like 12 colors of Sharpie markers for like $12 and have used them as per below.

For ukes without fret markers on the soundboard for the 7th, 10, and 12th frets, I used a hole punch to make a template from an old piece of overhead projector film, which gave me a 3mm hole, and on the soundboard fret markers, carefully placed the template and then filled in with a white sharpie, and then let it dry.

if you have a steady hand, and trust yourself to make the dots free-hand, you do not need the template.

For side-dot markers, and for ukes with a light-colored neck I just use a black sharpie and make a small dot, and ukes with a dark-colored neck either a white or silver sharpie.

If they wear down, I just re-apply, as sometimes happens when using the Dunlop 65 fretboard oil. Not a biggie.

Also isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) is an easy solvent for nearly all sharpie inks, so if you mess up, it is easy to remove the bad marks with a Q-tip or cotton ball and then try again.

For our Uke class kids we do a little dot with a silver sharpie. It's usually worn off from playing and handling over the semester. We retouch if needed.

Booli ---Thank you for the easy way to undo so one may redo a "permanent"marker mistake. Have you ever made a notch which shows on the face as well as the side and filled that? it is both functional and decorative. That technique doesn't go away with any amount of rubbing with anything.

Thanks everyone for these thoughtful replies! Now I think I know what to do!

Top Bottom