Strings on a Cordoba 22c

Fisheyes

Reaction score
Hi all, my first post on this premier site.

I have recently 'upgraded' from a Laka VUC50 with LowG 'Worth clear' strings....very nice on this uke.
My new uke ...a Cordoba 22C is very nice...however the strings that came with it... Aquila 7U sounded awful imo. So i strung it with the Worths......Now, its much better... but very bright....so i am considering changing to the LowG Fremont Blackline's....ive used these before and they were nice on a mahogany uke.....however, my Cordoba is Rosewood with solid Spruce top. Basically, im looking to get a slightly 'softer' sound without losing the loudness (different from brightness).
Any suggestions from the experts on here would be well received.

Wayne Fisheyes

The Blacklines will be less bright then the Worth Clears. You can also try Worth Brown which is their warm string. Do you prefer a florocarbon low G over a wound. If you like a wound low G try the Oasis warm Low G set.

I'm no expert but I have a Cordoba 25CK (solid koa) and I too found the Aquila strings sounding aweful. I tried various strings and finally stopped with Worth Brown Light for the first three strings and Worth Brown Medium Low G for the fourth. I really like the sound now - mellow with great sustain (rings and rings). I believe the Worth Browns are similar to the Fremont Blacklines but I've not tried the latter.

I have a Cordoba 22s it is a beautiful instrument

Hi Fisheyes. I've just bought a 22C as well. What strings did you decide on, or are you still deliberating? Reading the replies above, I'm thinking of getting the Worth Brown Lights. I'll stick with a high G though.

Hi Fisheyes. I've just bought a 22C as well. What strings did you decide on, or are you still deliberating? Reading the replies above, I'm thinking of getting the Worth Brown Lights. I'll stick with a high G though.

Ok...one month on from when i first posted. I have settled with the Worth Clear..Low-G strings on my Cordoba 22c.
Personally I think they sound great.....and they stay 'rock solid' tuned in. The only thing i did with the uke was to lower the bridge slightly....the tuning is great at the 12th fret. And no buzzing.
However, playing at a local club recently...a fella said the uke sounded rubbish and that i needed to change the strings.....my reply was "i like the sound"... WTF, this chap IS a bit of a big head and wants to be the center of attention all the time.
So...is there a right or wrong.....if i like my uke sound then surely it must be OK...right?
The Cordoba was defo the right purchase and i'd recommend it to anyone....with Worth Clear Low-G strings.

Regards
Wayne

The only thing that matters about your uke is how your uke sounds to you. Don't worry if someone else wouldn't choose the same sound - we don't choose the same favourite foods, TV shows, music to listen to... it's all personal. If you're happy that's the only thing that matters!

It appears like the guy making the comments is a real d*ck head . If it sounds good to you then it is good. If you look at all the ukes that get bought and sold here on UU it is because we have different tonal preferences. Some people don't even like the sound of low G. Doesn't make it bad or wrong though.

Last edited:
It appears like the guy making the comments is a real d*ck head . If it sounds good to you then it is good. If you look at all the ukes that get bought and sold here on UU it is because we have different tonal preferences. Some people don't even like the sound of low G. Doesn't make it bad or wrong though.

What Dave said ^

That Big Head Guy must have lots of turds for brains and sounds like he has a bad attitude.

Does HE play ukulele? Nobody can dictate YOUR preferences. I'd just say 'thanks for the advice' and then ignore him.

All that matters is what you like. Ignore the other guy.

Next time you change strings, you might try Worth Browns and see what you think. I've had several Cordoba's and tended to like them on those instruments. You may prefer the clears, but it's always fun to try others and compare.

The rosewood/spruce combination is going to be a ringing bright ukuele.
Compared to all mahogany or koa it may take you a while to warm to the sound.
In all the string choices I highly recommend "Living Waters" all fluorocarbon in both high & low G.
If you are not sure which to buy, get a 5 string set that has both "G's" and you can experiment.
I use them on a koa/spuce ukulele which is very bright and the string really sing.

Top Bottom