Welp, that's me down to one again.

Uk3player78

Reaction score
You may remember my Martin OXK purchase? My Koaloha KCM 00 purchase? Embedded in the OXK thread a Martin C1K purchase then a Martin S1. UAS out of hand? Nope... I do this now and again.

Koaloha sold. Fantastic uke but really warm for my taste. C1K, vanilla. OXK, the S1 beats it so i managed to return the OXK and C1K within 14 days. The S1? I believe i got a good one. Like a banjolele bark but warm. Lovely. I won't buy anything now (famous last words) to distract my enjoyment of the S1. I like the 'that's my uke' statement when asked. A huge getting to know it experience with one ukulele.

This all happened about a year ago when i bought several, compared then condensed to one. Then the year before, same thing. Minimalism is a big key in my life with everything. I also play guitar... Yup, one acoustic it took me all of my playing life to find hehe.

Now you. Are you a minimalist?

How do you enjoy multiple ukuleles?

Really appreciate them when there are many not just playing the snot out of one? I appreciate high/low G and performers.

What is you one/multiple/one out of the multiple?

Cheers!

If I had to, I would go to three...possibly 4. I would keep the Pono and Opio, as well as the Outdoor--and then likely the Makala as it was my 1st. Might be tempted to keep the Kala Banjolele, too. But the others could go and I would still be okay.

But I don't have to do that--so I am not going to do that.

I'm pretty much a minimalist in all aspects of my life, including ukuleles. While I'd like to have just one, I play low G and reentrant with equal frequency so two are necessary, but I actually have three (all Kamakas). All three get play time, but the two that are concert scale are the daily players; the soprano is reserved for when I'm traveling light.

If forced to pick just one - my HF-2 concert. It's the oldest and plainest of the bunch, but it has a really nice tone.

I'm a minimalist too. I've been successful at keeping them under 20

I'd like to be minimalist when it comes to ukuleles (I am successfully minimalist in many other areas), but I've had exposure to different ukuleles and appreciate different aspects of them. I could be happy with just one, but I'm not sure which one that would be. I do know which of the four I'm undecided about (the two others I know I would be fine to let go) I would pick as my one uke right now, but I also know that how I feel right now may not be how I feel about this in a week or a month. My preferences regarding ukuleles have morphed over time, and every time I sold one I lost money. But I did sell more than I have now, and I'm content.

When I recently bought a guitar, right from the start decided that I would only have one for at least a year (and ideally replace rather than add, if I ever feel the need for something different), but my ukulele journey had helped me with that. I knew what to look for and what I wanted (set up, 12 frets to the body, wood, tuners, string tension, etc.), so I could make a better purchase decision than I was able to with my first ukuleles where I was clueless about my preferences. I also learned not to put myself in a situation where I can't decide what I like the most, which slowed down my progress more than anything else. So, a mistake I won't repeat with guitars.

I'd like to be minimalist when it comes to ukuleles (I am successfully minimalist in many other areas), but I've had exposure to different ukuleles and appreciate different aspects of them. I could be happy with just one, but I'm not sure which one that would be. I do know which of the four I'm undecided about (the two others I know I would be fine to let go) I would pick as my one uke right now, but I also know that how I feel right now may not be how I feel about this in a week or a month. My preferences regarding ukuleles have morphed over time, and every time I sold one I lost money. But I did sell more than I have now, and I'm content.

When I recently bought a guitar, right from the start decided that I would only have one for at least a year (and ideally replace rather than add, if I ever feel the need for something different), but my ukulele journey had helped me with that. I knew what to look for and what I wanted (set up, 12 frets to the body, wood, tuners, string tension, etc.), so I could make a better purchase decision than I was able to with my first ukuleles where I was clueless about my preferences. I also learned not to put myself in a situation where I can't decide what I like the most, which slowed down my progress more than anything else. So, a mistake I won't repeat with guitars.

Interesting point that makes me glad i'm sharing this experience. Maybe i'm the opposite.

I have had soooo many guitars. I started with acoustic but quickly moved to electric where i went through all the variety of usual suspects. Then found myself preferring acoustic where i did exactly the same thing. Maybe with ukulele it's easier with experience to keep calm and know the tonewoods. ;)

I just found this. As a fan its relevant as a post its relevant but less relevant to ukulele. Still worth posting.

Are you a player or a collector... or both? :)

I've built up a collection from when I first started, haven't sold any off, was going to, but not sure now.

I still, occasionally, play my first ones, regard them as dispensible/beaters, (might give them away sometime).

2 solid top baritones, 2 solid mahogany long/tenor necked soprano & concert, plus a solid spruce concert electro acoustic are my main ukes.

(Though I do have RISA concert & tenor electrics also for those plugged in times.)

So, I'm quite minimalist in my day to day playing, but have options. :)

Sorry to say, but my number is higher. I know this because I recently got the uke of my dreams (and still dreaming with it) so I felt free to get rid of "dead" wood.

I had the habit of picking up inexpensive versions of types of ukes I was interested in, and when those were replaced with keepers. I have been lucky enough to find buyers here on the forum.

Here is the role call:

Kinnard custom cocobolo/spruce tenor - linear
Kinnard mahogany tenor - linear. This may look like a duplicate, but I am still feeling precious about my custom, so if I visit folks a ways away and need a good uke, I take this one. It may go at some point, but it serves a purpose
Collings koa tenor - renetrant
Godin multi-uke - for soft practice, easy access (I leave it out) and wonderful electric sound
Risa tenor stick - because I can throw it in my suitcase for longer trips. Also love the sound with a slide. This may also go at some point, but so far some trips call for it.
Lanikai 6 string tenor - one of my main players
Original Lanikai 6 string tenor - be cause it was my first uke and started this whole thing, and because it has Jake and Frank Orral's signatures on it
Travel no-name tenor - I do like this one and can just throw it on my back when I go hiking. Also it sits downstairs for easy access
Oscar Schmidt 8 string tenor - because you need an 8 string every once in a while
Kala uBass - I do love this one too
Kala travel soprano - Truth be told, I don't like sopranos that much, but this one was purchased as a travel uke, which you can now see has been replaced. It does sit on the bottom floor of my house, so it has a purpose.

Oops. 11. But I don't have UAS.

As far as playing, my Lanikai 6 string and Godin are within an arm's reach of my desk, so I play them pretty much every day. Same with the travel tenor. I pull out one of the Kinnard's probably every other day, to work on smoothing out/extending/practicing a song or arrangement. If I am actively working on a song for recording or playing live, that changes to every day. The Collings, maybe once every couple of weeks, as I consider whether a song needs a re-entrant tuning. The 8 string - as needed.

Last edited:
I play the snot out of my Kanile'a concert, but enjoy my vintage Martin or banjolele on old timey or bluegrassy tunes...

Now you. Are you a minimalist?

How do you enjoy multiple ukuleles?

Really appreciate them when there are many not just playing the snot out of one? I appreciate high/low G and performers.

What is you one/multiple/one out of the multiple?

Cheers!
I used to be quite smug about my one ukulele. But then I bought a better one, so then I had two. But one resided in Puerto Rico, so it became the beach ukulele. I don't know, I came up with a dozen reasons to say that I actually had only one ukulele, plus an extra that didn't count. But then my wife and I each won a Waterman at a festival. So now I'm pretty smug about the fact that I only have one ukulele plus two extras that don't count. I mean, can I say that my Watermans don't count? Come on, give me a break. Plus my wife has one now, so I guess I have to hang my head and quietly admit that I now have four ukuleles.

No, I'm not really a minimalist. It just depends on what we are talking about and where I happen to be.

How do I enjoy my multiple ukuleles. I really don't. I play my Mainland. My wife plays her Waterman. When I get down to PR after the first of the year the Makala goes to the beach, but otherwise sits in the corner. I filled my clear Waterman full of Christmas lights so that i could show my Christmas spirit, but it hasn't been touched since. Probably won't be either. Honestly, I can't justify it.

Do I appreciate them all. No, not really. I don't even like my Waterman. I might give it away. Actually, my friend has a Tiki bar next to his swimming pool, and I think that in the spring I'm going to just give him the Waterman for his bar, then I can play it when I'm over there hanging out in the afternoons and he can hang it up behind the bar as a conversation piece.

What is your one/multiple/one out of the multiple? I play my Mainland, except like I said above, I'm going to the beach. Otherwise it is the one that I really enjoy and like. The others I have just accumulated. If there is any smugness left, it is that I have only actually bought two ukuleles. My first, and the upgrade. But that is a shallow statement for a man with four ukuleles.

Last edited:
I enjoy multiple ukes. The number of ukes ebbs and flows, but presently I'm definitely above the number where I can play each enough to feel like I'm not being "wasteful." I think my "number" that I can play regularly is about 7-10. Hence, I'm going through a period where I'll be paring down. There are several that get consistent, regular play and then some I rotate regularly. My Hives, Kinnards and Collings (two of each, well, technically three Collings but one is being sold as I have two of the same model) see the most consistent, regular play. These cover soprano to baritone and both linear and re-entrant tunings. My Pepe Romero tenor which recently rotated back into playing position has gotten a ton of use the last few weeks. After I closed my sale thread on it, I had two people contact me that would like to buy it. I'm going to enjoy it for a few more weeks but really starting to wonder if I can actually let it go.

Which ones get the least play for me? Specialty ukes (banjo and resonator) and standard sized sopranos. I have long admired Dennis' work and bought a Southern Cross banjo uke on impulse earlier this year. I haven't even tuned it up and given the long list of songs I want to learn with none of them screaming "banjo uke", that's one I have some guilt over. I will list it after the New Year. The National Resonator uke that I have is also a specialty uke but one I can imagine keeping even though it won't get a ton of regular play. Why? Well, it's very unique among Nationals and it works great on a lot of different styles of music. Keep? Sell? Keep? Sell? Arrggh! ;-)

Lastly, I have several times had multiple standard sopranos, sold them all feeling confident they are just not that comfortable for me to play, only to buy more again. It's almost like I feel I have to have a standard soprano. I had some really incredible ones that I sold and bought less expensive ones (but still very nice) that I know are really more than adequate for my periodic use. I have three right now. Two modern (Kiwaya KTS5 and Martin 2K) and one vintage (1927-1929 Martin 2K). The vintage one is listed elsewhere, seeing if I can turn a tidy profit on it. If not, I'll offer it here on UU at what I paid for it. Either of the two modern sopranos, which I picked up great buys here on UU, should be more than adequate meaning I could/should part with one if not both. Then I see a 5K and start salivating...

I spend a shocking amount of time thinking, if I could only have "[x]" ukes, which ones would I keep and why? And how would that change, if it was "x+(n)" or "x-(n)"...What is the one uke I don't have that I would really like to have and would I sell any of my current "forever" ukes to have it?

Last edited:
Sounds like you need a long neck for that soprano slot. :)

Possibly. Had a Loprinzi 3K longneck that was an absolute stunner but I found it neck heavy due to the longer neck. It might be that now that I have more experience it would be less of an issue but at the time it was early in my playing tenure and I found it challenging.

Talking of soprano's. They seem to be my thing just now after 1yr with a tenor then one with a concert.

Shame everyone selling a vintage Martin soprano is in the states making for huge shipping costs and then customs. I may keep two with a vintage and modern Martin. :)

Talking of soprano's. They seem to be my thing just now after 1yr with a tenor then one with a concert.

Shame everyone selling a vintage Martin soprano is in the states making for huge shipping costs and then customs. I may keep two with a vintage and modern Martin. :)

You may be very pleased with a similar uke crafted by Ken Timms (Timbuck here on UU) who is in the UK and his ukes have been highly regarded by many, and I've seen them on eBay from time to time for around $400-600 USD depending on the build.

If I could get along with a 12-fret soprano, or beg and plead for a 15-fret soprano with a 12-fret body join I'd be saving for one and asking him to put me on his list.

I need that high C on the A string at the 15th fret for some of my songs.

You may be very pleased with a similar uke crafted by Ken Timms (Timbuck here on UU) who is in the UK and his ukes have been highly regarded by many, and I've seen them on eBay from time to time for around $400-600 USD depending on the build.

If I could get along with a 12-fret soprano, or beg and plead for a 15-fret soprano with a 12-fret body join I'd be saving for one and asking him to put me on his list.

I was in debate mode over a Timms when i was leading up to my recent binge and purge of ukuleles. I watched one end for £280... Steal. Then i bid £300 on a second listing. Never caught the end to bid again but it hit £360 just weeks after the £280 one. Strange. Certainly a consideration.

Ken builds 15 fret sopranos from time to time :).

Good post......I especially liked that video, a real eye opener.

No I am not a minimialist, I'm a buffet type.......love me lots of variety. Life might be short but we can make it wide.

I enjoy multiple ukes because they all sound different. Different makes, different woods, will give me bright when I want bright and warm and mellow when I am feeling that need.

I do appreciate the many even if I am not playing the snot out of all of them. A short, quick, occassional kiss from a goddess is all ones needs sometimes.

The one out of the multiples is my LfdM. The more live performances I do the more I realize how effortless that uke is too play. I am beginning to understand and appreciate one great uke that seems to play itself. You can just get lost in the music with it.

I am usually a minimalist, but in the beginning of a foray into a new hobby, I itch to see what's out there. That's how I m w classical guitar, but the problem is some of the stuff I acquired it was hard to resell or unload once I knew what I liked and converged to. SO even though I am in heart, a minimalist w two guitars that I only use.. one for practice/ beater/travel, and one better more refined concert model for more heightened enjoyment and perhaps performance one day, I do technically don't count as a minimalist to other's eyes bc I have four other guitars just laying around.

I got the makala pineapple just for kicks bc I thought it was cute and looked silly and it was way cheap at only 29 dollars shipped brand new . Once I tinkered w it I figured it was capable of producing highly refined music although difficult (more so than guitar due to the limits the instrument places on me) but that was what spawned in me this intrigue driven exploration into it.
So I wanted a standard shape so I got the makala shark.
Although nice enough for me at this moment , I wanted to have an all solid from either mainland or ohana and after debating and researching tons, I eventually went w mainland.
I also wanted a premium level soprano and I did same between Martin and loprinzi and so I eventually went w loprinzi.
The last two are cordoba and those were more out of uas than anything bc they were at fantastic sale prices (but my uas stops there bc I only get thrilled by the chase of the great deal only once or twice before I tire of it..I would care less if I ran into someone offering me a brand new kamaka for $99 bc I just see it as another hundred dollars spent on something I don't need. At the end of the day. )
Right now I believe my mainland and loprinzi are keepers and the cordoba 22s as well .
Don't care too much for the makalas but I appreciate the pineapple getting me into the foray.

Last edited:
Top Bottom