Advice on replacing cheap broken Lanikai tuners

Doxuke

Reaction score
I have a Lanikai concert uke with sealed gold-tone tuners. One tuner is broken inside and just clicks when I turn it, so it needs to be replaced. These are cheaply-made tuners and I'd like to replace them with Grovers, but when I removed the broken one, I see a pattern of gouges from little teeth on the tuner in the wood. The grovers are a different shape and not large enough to cover the gouges. Does anyone have an idea how to replace these so that the gouges are covered? The finish is high gloss, so sanding is out of the question. Thanks.

PS I contacted Lanikai and they were no help at all. They do not have replacements. They said I should go to a local luthier, but I can replace them myself. I am appalled that their cheap tuners leave such disfiguring marks behind when removed. This is NOT a cheap ukulele.

I don't see why sanding is out of the question. In fact you will have to sand down if you want to repair the damage done by the original tuners. Gloss varnish is readily available - it is here so no reason why it shouldn't be in your part of the world.

Apply wood filler to the gouges, sand it down then apply some gloss varnish to restore the finish, then fit your replacement tuners.

At least, that's what I would do.

A picture

image.jpg

This shows the marks left when the original tuner is removed. I'd prefer to find a replacement that covers the marks. I am shocked that Lanikai would use such cheap tuners that leave gouges in the wood.

I found the same tuners available online from China for less than $10. I may just replace them with the same ones, although they are poor quality. I would prefer Grovers.

This looks like an "older" Lanikai (Lanikai really being created for Horner by Mike Upton, who went on to found Kala 11 years ago) with different tuners than they use today. The "teeth" were likely intentional to help stop any chance of the tuner moving--even though they probably weren't needed!

I like the suggestion of tuners from Mainland, or you could go with other tuners, such as the friction tuners that Barry Baz loves (got a ukulele). It if this is a cheap ukulele...you might have more invested in tuners than the ukulele is worth when you are finished. All kinds of Grovers on eBay for $25 for a set of 4 (or less).

Last edited:
Great news - a fellow UU member has offered a very similar set that were switched off of his uke. I thank you all for your great comments.

Happy Holidays to all!

Top Bottom