How to lead up to a chord

greatone88

Reaction score
Howdy all,

I have listened to many uke covers and I have heard folks pick 3 strings then go into a chord. Somehow I figured out CDE leads into an F chord. I want to lead into a G chord, there has to be some sort of formula to figure this out. I am pretty noob at this sort of thing. Can basically strums and make some chord changes. Any help would be appreciated !

Thanks,
UkeTruck

I recently learned a technique wherein you pick three successive notes in the scale corresponding to the key of the song, the third note being the root of the chord (or at least in the chord). For example, in the key of C, the notes D-E-F lead into an F chord, E-F-G lead to a G chord, and either C-D-E or A-B-C lead to a C cord.

I recently learned a technique wherein you pick three successive notes in the scale corresponding to the key of the song, the third note being the root of the chord (or at least in the chord). For example, in the key of C, the notes D-E-F lead into an F chord, E-F-G lead to a G chord, and either C-D-E or A-B-C lead to a C cord.

... or more specifically D E F "G chord" as the OP asked about the three notes to a chord, but in the key of G that would be D E F# "G chord" ... what I'm trying to say is, it's a simple alphabetical sequence, but using appropriate sharps (or flats) depending on the key. The key of G has one sharp (F#), the key of D has two sharps (C# and F#) the key of F one flat (Bb) etc.

For instance, in the key of C the "lead up" to the C chord would be G A B "C chord" but in the key of F the "lead up" to the C chord would be G A Bb "C chord".

Am I making sense ... or have I just confused myself as well ... sounds OK when I play it here :music:

Last edited:
Thanks !! It just so happens that the things I am trying to do right now, has that 3 note lead up to the first chord, which is the key of the song. Now I know how to do that for F, G, and C chords. Thanks !!! Is there some sort of music theory that gets applied and that is how you come up with the lead up ?

Sounds like you take the chord root note then go down 2 1/2 steps, then 1 1/2 steps, 1/2 step to get the notes for the lead up if the chord is the same as the key of the song. So in the key of C for a lead up to the C chord the lead up is 5 steps down (G), 3 steps down (A), 1 step down (B) then C chord. That sound right ?

Not sure what you applied to get the lead up to C in the key of F.

Let's talk about the scale in terms of scale degrees...each note of the scale getting a number.

In C:

C=1, D=2, E=3, F=4, G=5, A=6, B=7, C=1 (just at another octave)

Sequence 5 6 7 1 is very common (think of the Addams Family theme song). And what is happening is that you are harmonically leading back to the chord built on the first step of the scale (officially, this is called "the Tonic").

For G, the 5 6 7 1 sequence would be:

D, E, F#, G

Incidentally, if you are looking for harmony underneath this progression, the Dominant 7th chord built on the 5th step of the scale should lead to the Major chord built on the 1st step of the scale.

In the case of the key of F: C D E F is best with C7 leading to F

In the case of the key of G: D E F# G is best with D7 leading to G

Is there some sort of music theory that gets applied and that is how you come up with the lead up ?

Not sure what you applied to get the lead up to C in the key of F.

There probably is some esoteric (and very correct) theory, I just went alphabetically, ABCDEFG, the seven notes in a scale, (try writing them down in a circle) inserting appropriate sharps or flats depending on the key of the piece.

You can lead up to a chord (or even down to a chord) using the scale of the song (just stick to the melody notes) or even if you want to jazz it up, by making chromatic steps (one fret each).

The D-E-F note sequence is the riff leading up to either a C (verse) or an F (refrain) in G-version of 'How long will I love you' by The Waterboys. Or Ellie Goulding, depending on your age and taste.

riff D-E-F
C G
How long will I love you?
F C F
As long as stars are above you
Dm G7
And longer if I can

riff D-E-F
C G
How long will I need you
F C F
As long as the seasons need to