Strings Which strings for a banjo uke?

BluesPreacher

Reaction score
I found banjo uke strings on stringsbymail.com.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/searc...MwXlCxnKU6M2SYULbLO43nngF0i50bPP_4aAory8P8HAQ

Aquila offers two sets of Nylgut (one says it's a "full set" with a "high G"), and one "Red".

1.) If one set says it's with a "high G", does that mean that the other two sets are "low G"/non-re-entrant and only that set is re-entrant?

2.) The banjo uke I'm buying has a resonator and a calfskin head. I'm staying open to the option of removing the resonator. Till then, it's on. (The seller has steel strings on it now, which I'm definitely switching out.)

Which of the three sets is the best? (They're all the same price.)

Thanks!

Last edited:
While strings are always a matter of preference, I use the standard Aquila Nylgut set on my banjo ukes and I like the sound a lot. I only use high G on banjo ukes, I've never cared for the way low G sounds (on banjo ukes).

Usually removing a resonator from a banjo uke is easy, so you can try it on and off and see which you like better.

Hi BluesPreacher, all sets are re-entrant High G
28U has 3 New Nylgut (1,2,4th) and the "Red" one is the 3rd string.
42U is all New Nylgut
90U is all Red Series

Source : Aquila catalogue http://www.aquilacorde.com/wp-content/uploads/aquila-catalogue-2016.pdf

Personally, I love Red Series, but I have to warn you : they could be fragile and snap sometimes. But if you take care of mounting 'em in the proper way (there is a guide on the same page you linked) they should not snap (but some users here had them snapped even if they did everything by the book and some who just mount 'em without taking care had never a breakage... so I think it depends on batch, how you play and several other things). They are really bright, loud and "expressives" (good for bending).
On the other side, I am not a fan of new nylgut...

So I would advice the Red Series, but be wary of the breakage risks.

My new banjo uke (M.L. Neal), came with nylguts. To me they felt rough, so I changed to a flouro carbon. I like the smoother feel and the the clearer tones. Nylgut strings usually add volume to wooden ukes which is not an issue on a banjo uke.

I use Aquila's as standard on my instruments.

I have a set of reds on a Slingerland Maybell and prefer the sound to that of the Nylguts. I have since strung a tenor banjo with a set of reds - using a 79u for the low string and am pleased as I wanted to replace the wound string supplied in the 5 string banjo set that I had ordered. I prefer a brighter sound and the reds delivered. After two years they are still going strong.

I just ordered a set of each: Nylgut and Red. Ordered from Strings and Beyond.

I'm going to experiment and see what I like best.

Thanks for your input!

My banjolele came with Aquila Super Nylguts. I'm keeping them on till I wear them out, then I'll try something else, maybe. I'm shy of the Reds, they seem to break for no damn reason.

Many folks like many different strings, but the most recommended are the Aquila Super Nylgut Banjo Uke strings. I am sure wondering about the new, wound strings at Southcoast Ukes though

Well, here it is! You'll see the steel strings it came with.

One concern: You see the tailpiece. How do I attach nylgut or red series strings to a metal tailpiece like that? It was obviously made for gut strings, judging by the slots on the nut and the bridge.

banjolele 1.jpgbanjolele 2.jpgbanjolele 3.jpg

Many banjo uke owners have destroyed a good instrument by installing metal strings on one that was intended to use nylon or gut strings. I see'em on ebay regularly, although not frequently.

Well, here it is! You'll see the steel strings it came with.

One concern: You see the tailpiece. How do I attach nylgut or red series strings to a metal tailpiece like that? It was obviously made for gut strings, judging by the slots on the nut and the bridge.

View attachment 96447View attachment 96448View attachment 96449

Buy some beads, thread the string through a bead and knot the bead on to the string. You'll need beads big enough so they won't pass through the hole in the tailpiece. Beads of all sizes are readily found in hobby shops.

I do that with my slotted bridge regular ukes. It keeps the knot from pulling too far into the slot so they're easier to remove when they need changing.

I have restrung a small Gibson Tenor Jr banjo as a baritone banjo ukulele. It is tuned to DGBE and has a 19 ¼ scale. I have used a set of Aquila Red regular banjo strings and in the place of the wound low D have used the fifth string as a re-entrant D. I like the sound and it is very playable. Not the classic banjo UKE but great fun in a small group or by the fireside.

I have tied bowline knots on the end of my strings and they work fine on that kind of tailpiece. I have some Aquila reds on an old Gibson tenor tuned as a baritone use - great fun and the knots on the tp are very stable.

I cut a piece of wood 1/8" thick or thin whichever you chose x 1/4" high x width of the tailplate. I drill four holes the diametre of the strings inline with the four for the steel strings and run each string through its hole, and then string them forward to the headstock the wood rests against the tailstock and does not move , vibrate or minimize volume or quality of soun.

I liked Worth browns on my Waverly Street banjolele, my Kala has Aquilas, I'll probably switch them out soon...I have a set of Fremont blacklines I might try.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I put on a set of Aquila Reds. No incidents, no breakage (knock wood). They sound GREAT!!

I went to Joann Fabrics and bought a small bag of small wooden craft beads. I tied one on the end of each string. Worked GREAT!

I LOVE my banjo uke!

Don't forget to stuff a sock in the back of the pot between the rod and the head. Many banjo players do that to tame the sound a bit.

...or a slice of pool noodle. They're about 3 feet long so you can experiment with different sizes and where to place it. I think I ended up with it under the bridge. I later removed it altogether, once I got the strings sorted out.

Attachments

• IMG_1423.JPG
    IMG_1423.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Light-gauge fluorocarbons, are the best for Formby-style banjo uke.

Top Bottom