Rough Necks

Timbuck

Reaction score
I purchased some mahogany on E-Bay a couple of days ago....It was delivered by TNT at 10 am today and With the weather being perfect I dragged the bandsaw and other equip: out doors so I could work in the sun.. and by 4 pm I'd produced this lot:).. There should have been 15 but I lost one:wtf: (it got killed by the router + my stupidity)...All ready for the next op: in the Lathe tomorrow....I can't drag the lathe outside tho' Too Heavy.
PICT2842.jpg

Oh My! Looks like you have some ukes to complete. You should post pic after you complete each stage. Have fun! Look forward to seeing them finished.:smileybounce::smileybounce:

About 18 months ago I demonstrated on the Cosmos how I made necks with a slide show.... I do some of the op's a little diffrent now.. but the method is basicly still the same..I wanted to know if anyone else uses a lathe for producing necks..anyway here it is again....just click on the pic.

Last edited:
Oh My! Looks like you have some ukes to complete. You should post pic after you complete each stage. Have fun! Look forward to seeing them finished.:smileybounce::smileybounce:

As requested...14 necks fresh off the Lathe, all the same.. guaranteed dead straight, perfect radius, no flat spots or bumps, all ready for next op:
PICT2850.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool. Please continue documenting.

Right next bit..Mark out, Rough saw, and then sand down face of machine head. Note specially made rest, to be used as you would a Sine Bar http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...=128&prev=/images?q=sine+bar&gbv=2&hl=en&sa=G so as to achieve the correct angle.
PICT2855.jpg

Then over to the home made thickness sander to to get the back of the machine head, but only go up to the end stop
PICT2858.jpg

End stop (3 mm drill bit)
PICT2860.jpg

And a short time later all ready for the next op:
PICT2863.jpg

Last edited:
I've been a woodturner for several years but never considered using a wood lathe for this purpose, mahalo for the idea! ;)

I've been a woodturner for several years but never considered using a wood lathe for this purpose, mahalo for the idea! ;)
Theres no reason why it can't be done on a wood lathe Ahnko...all you need is a taper template or guide rest and away you go.

By the way whats all that Gobbley gook mean under your posts?..It is very much like Yorkshire Dialect in the UK...Here's an example.
Arrda gooin on mi ol mucka? ota oreet an arr's thi missis?.:D

mmmm, Hawaiian? :p
Hawaiian????? :mad: I thought our Government had outlawed all that sort of thing 100's of years ago:eek:ld: and taught all the native's in that part of the world "pigeon English" So that the rest of us could understand what they were on about...I still think the language is based on the Yorkshire Dialect Tho':D

Oop's I think i've gone off the subject.

Last edited:
Hawaiian????? :mad: I thought our Government had outlawed all that sort of thing 100's of years ago:eek:ld: and taught all the native's in that part of the world "pigeon English" So that the rest of us could understand what they were on about...I still think the language is based on the Yorkshire Dialect Tho':D

Oop's I think i've gone off the subject.

The Hawaiian "pidgin" is actually more correctly identified as a creole language which originated in the sugarcane camps which were ethnically segregated with various camps for the different immigrant laborers- Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, Portuguese, Puerto Rican, etc. of course native Hawaiians usually not living in these camps but outside in their own communities. Grammatically the 'pidgin' is structured like Hawaiian but the words are a mix of the various languages spoken in the camps as well as Hawaiian, and English of the plantation owners, a common language that all ethnicities could use to communicate with each other. "Hawaiian Pidgin" was never taught in public schools and the use was looked down on as was the banning of the teaching of the native Hawaiian language after the USA invaded and took over the lands and government of the Kingdom of Hawaii in 1893, with annexation in 1898.
There was a cultural revival which I noticed starting in the 1970s especially with the Hawaiian language starting to be taught in public schools (I learned Hawaiian in High School 1975 thru 1978). Presently there are several schools offering Hawaiian Language immersion programs offer the whole curriculum in the Hawaiian language. I think it wonderful the efforts being made now to preserve the culture and language of the Hawaiian people. My details may not be 100% accurate and I hope those more knowledgeable will pipe in.
As far as the words in my signature it is taken from the Baibala Hemolele the Hawaiian Bible first translated in 1839. It is my favorite scripture from Psalms 83:18.
I believe Hawaiian is closer to what is spoken in Manchester than Yorkshire. :D

Ahnko Honu Thanks for the bit of history, very interesting

Timbuck So cool to see a uke gettin bornd. Thanks for posting this

And now back to the job again..Next I mill down the edges on my Milling machine (Converted from an old Pedestal Drill)
PICT2869.jpg

Then with the aid of a Template mark out the head end.
PICT2873.jpg

Then onto the bandsaw.
PICT2877.jpg

And finally the spindle sander (It's handy to have all these Machines)
PICT2881.jpg

Now its starting to take shape and resemble the real thing.
PICT2883.jpg

The real thing.
Soprano_ukulele-08.jpg

It's all been easy up till now
And here they are ready for the next operation..Shaping by hand this going to need skill as I havn't got a jig or machine to do this part YET!
PICT2892.jpg

I'm guessing this isn't the first time you've done this. Do you have any pics of prior builds?

My Son Mike decided to make video of me Rasping and Filing some shape to the necks..So for just one day I became a Filmstar.:D

And here's the device I use to hold the workpiece while at work.
PICT1608.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom