Sidekick

plunker

Reaction score
The Sidekick has been out a while. Enough for the price to go up anyway. Any feed. One of the top three on my Christmas list.

54 views and nobody seems to know.

More info might get you a reply, i.e., a photo or link to product on the maker's web site or other such painful details.

Just a thought. :)

Do a search on UU. Someone did an extensive review after getting their Sidekick maybe a year ago. IIRC it was a very positive review. Good luck!

A friend of mine got one and it was just about unplayable, it had a number of issues. He worked on it a lot to resolve the issues and it plays and sounds fine now. He bought a luthier built banjo uke and gave the Sidekick to me. I enjoy the sound and it plays very well now.

As Maiden Uke said there was a very positive review done by SteveZ, if I am not mistaken. He is very knowledgable about different instruments.

I bought one when they first came out. I thought it was cheaply made and sent it back. Just my opinion, others like them.

THink I got answers below. Pays your money takes your chances. I am thinking about a banjo uke, but I was looking for a tenor. Most of what I see are concert.

THink I got answers below. Pays your money takes your chances. I am thinking about a banjo uke, but I was looking for a tenor. Most of what I see are concert.

The Magic Fluke Company has announced what is going to be a new tenor banjo, (my guess is a 'FireFly' model at tenor scale) as per:

December 2016 – Updates from Magic Fluke said:
...The Tenor banjo is near complete and plan to be shipping in January at the latest...

so you might want to check their web site for more info:

http://www.magicfluke.com/Default.asp

You remember I said a friend bought a luthier built tenor scale banjo uke. It was the Midnight Special and I just found the review that brought that instrument to his attention. It is in the Ukulele Review subforum and I bumped it up to the top for you to see. There is a link to the website in the post.

Bottom line is Tim ordered one we drove about two hours to pick it up when it was ready. Hugh owns a music store in the town is a musican and builds banjos as well as banjo ukes. Great guy that really knows his stuff. My friend Tim is thrilled with it, had it over one year now. I was going to mention Gold Tone.......they are about $410.00. The Midnight Special is $325.00 CDN which works out to about $245.00 USD. Kind of a no brainer..........same price as the "sketchy" Sidekick for a luthier built unit from a guy that make real banjos

Ive played a few Deering concert neck ukes. they sound really great, and are a quality builld. They have a big drum . They also are now making a tenor. $400 for the concerts and $500 for the tenors. I don't know why the tenors should be so much more. They are fairly new and am waiting for a tenor on the used market.

Last edited:
The Sidekick has been out a while. Enough for the price to go up anyway. Any feed. One of the top three on my Christmas list.

More info might get you a reply, i.e., a photo or link to product on the maker's web site or other such painful details.
Just a thought. :)

I have to agree with Booli. If someone makes a short post that doesn't supply enough information for me to know what they're talking about, I usually move on. That makes me someone who viewed the post but didn't respond. For example, a link to whatever a Sidekick is or a description would have been helpful. I just figured you only wanted to hear from people who knew what you were talking about.

I had the sidekick briefly. Sold it as it was not playable for me. Picked up a used goodtime tenor which plays and sounds like butter, so nice.

I had one of the original SideKicks and loved it. Sold it recently when I got The Duke which is an upgraded SideKick-style instrument.

Had the Deering concert banjo-uke, but it eventually felt too heavy and awkwark for its intended purposea compared to other banjo-ukes. I really like my Deering tenor banjo, and having a shorter-necked clone instrument was okay for a while but not long-term.

Have never had a stringed instrument which eventually didn't get a custom set-up to get the "butter-like" feel. Just sending an instrument off to a tech and expecting a "custom job" is not the same as testing the feel throughout the set-up process until it feels really good.

Quote Originally Posted by plunker

Originally Posted by Booli

Just a thought.
I have to agree with Booli. If someone makes a short post that doesn't supply enough information for me to know what they're talking about, I usually move on. That makes me someone who viewed the post but didn't respond. For example, a link to whatever a Sidekick is or a description would have been helpful. I just figured you only wanted to hear from people who knew what you were talking about.

As an old computer guy, I read "sidekick" and thought it was about the old computer program, so I ignored the post. Some things need to be a little more clear for us old fogies.

-Kurt​

As an old computer guy, I read "sidekick" and thought it was about the old computer program, so I ignored the post. Some things need to be a little more clear for us old fogies.
-Kurt​

LOL - brings me back - I used to use that program back in my MS-DOS days. Also there was the T-Mobile SideKick that predates modern smartphones and had some games, messaging and internet browsing back in the late-90s...

LOL - brings me back - I used to use that program back in my MS-DOS days. Also there was the T-Mobile SideKick that predates modern smartphones and had some games, messaging and internet browsing back in the late-90s...

I loved Traveling Sidekick! I used it with DOS 2.11, back on my ITT Xtra with a 5-1/4" floppy and 20 Mb hard drive. (I even upped the RAM to 640K with an add-in board) I have to laugh, because my old 12" green screen monitor cost more than my most recent i5 desktop computer.

Ive played a few Deering concert neck ukes. they sound really great, and are a quality builld. They have a big drum . They also are now making a tenor. $400 for the concerts and $500 for the tenors. I don't know why the tenors should be so much more. They are fairly new and am waiting for a tenor on the used market.

Thank you to everyone gor the effort to help.yes it,was about the banjo lelee. Sorry for anyone who waisted time due to not enough info.

Top Bottom