Perspective on getting a harp uke.

Piecomics

Reaction score
So against my better judgment, I have acquired a good number of ukes. Specifically:

Godin for playing out with others, tuned low g
Good time banjolele for clawhammer high g
Kiwaya laminate high g for classical
Flea concert in d6 for when I want that tuning
Hadean bass uke for backing up others
Ozark 8 steel string (a prototype, essentially a mandolin with a wider fretboard and tuned gcea)

Seems like too many, and frankly while I love the sound of the ozark I feel a bit lost playing it.

But I have saved up enough to possibly pick up an emerald harp uke. I have wanted one for some time but now I am reluctant to pull the trigger. I like the ringing sound of the uke and would like a little tonal expansion, plus it's a goofy instrument as am I, but I think in order to justify it it would need to become my main uke... (currently the godin and kiwaya).

Okay UU, talk me into or out of it!

Thanks!
Ben

I think when an idea has made its home on your mind, you'll eventually give in and follow up on it, because you'll just keep wondering about it and desire resolution. :) So, you might as well buy it now and get an answer to whether it's for you or not!

I actually think you have a well-though out collection of instruments. I wish I had approached my purchases so sensibly! A harp ukulele would fit in well, I feel, because you'll gain access to actual bass notes. You could get this also by buying a smaller short scale steel strings guitar, though with fewer bass strings. I'm not sure how ergonomic harp ukuleles are. They look a little awkward to me, but I haven't actually held one in person. Another concern I would have is where to get music from for it. I suppose you can just play ukulele sheets/tabs on it and sprinkle in bass notes, or use regular musical notation, but that was one of my issues with the guitarlele when I had one (I thought I would just use guitar tabs and play in the wrong key, but I wasn't so excited about the results).

I had to look it up to see what it was. There is no limit to the imagination. Also expands what defines a ukulele.

Hi,
As you know, I bought a prototype of the Emerald Harp Ukulele. I'm sure you will be pleased with the ease of play and the unique "tubby" sound that emanates out of it. I like mine alot, but I surely wouldn't want it as my only uke...I still love the sweet tones of finely crafted smaller sized wood instruments too. :cool:

William

Correction: When I stated "ease of play" I was talking about the feel of the neck and the fret-board. To say that this is an easy instrument to play was not my intent. This instrument will challenge your abilities to no end. Just trying to figure how you want to string the bass side is a huge challenge in itself. The possibilities are endless.

Last edited:
I had to search as I was unfamiliar with this specific instrument - carbon fiber is a win in my book.

Surely you have seen this page - http://ukulelehunt.com/buy-ukulele/luthiers/emerald-guitars/ ?

The sound samples are quite nice. I love the look of the red/black carbon fiber too - might last longer than a wood instrument and without having to care about regulating humidity, etc.

Would that I could with funds in mind, I'd get one for myself. I too like unconventional instruments and/or ones that extend the range or thinking of and about music...

I know I am likely to be more an enabler than the voice of reason, but I think all of us are enablers, and live vicariously through each other here on UU.

If you have the interest, the money, the space and the time - I say why wait? Life it too short. :)

Top Bottom