I'm so happy!

Buddy McCue

Reaction score
I finally got a semi-decent ukulele! :)

I had been studying ukulele, writing for it and arranging for it using a cheap little $30 Gremlin for quite a while now. Today I received in the mail my new favorite thing: it's an Oscar Schmidt OU-5 Concert Ukulele.

It sounds great to me, and I can finally start trying to play some of those John King arrangements that I like. That Carol of the Bells arrangement is just about impossible on my old Gremlin (it has a terrible intonation problem; I reckon the bridge ought to be back several millimeters or so.)

I had been a mandolin player for about 20 years, but lately I've been almost obsessed with the ukulele. I haven't picked up the mando for about a month now. I don't know what it is about the ukulele, but I sure have been charmed by it.

Last edited:
Congratulations, Buddy! :shaka:

I'm a mando --> uke convert myself :D

Congratulations, Buddy! Lookin forward to hearing it. Uke is oddly addicting. I considered myself a banjo player through and through, but this little demon guitar thingy has pretty much consumed my music lately.

I think we all know and love the feeling. I was acoustic guitar maniac, and I've barely touched the thing since I picked up my uke one day in November to make a quick, goofy video. I'll never turn back!

Congrats on the new uke!

Hurrah for the uke! I will warn you though, once you catch the buzz its impossible to get rid of it.

Happy strumming,
nik

I had been a mandolin player for about 20 years, but lately I've been almost obsessed with the ukulele. I haven't picked up the mando for about a month now. I don't know what it is about the ukulele, but I sure have been charmed by it.

this is easy to figure out; half as many strings = twice as much fun

Congrats, the OU5 was my first "semi-decent" uke as well. I has a surprisingly nice tone, for the money. I recommend upgrading the strings to Aquilas. They really do improve the tone. The OU5 should hold you over until you inevitably get the urge to sell your possessions and upgrade to a "decent" or "more-than-decent" ukulele!

Enjoy!

Congrats! That's how I felt after I played a tourist trap uke for 3 months and finally got a kala

Mandolin player here but bought a soprano Flea a month ago and have hardly touched the mando since! Yes very addicting!

Thanks everybody.

I'll keep that in mind about the strings. The next time I change them, I'll try the Aquilas.

Top Bottom