Just in Time for Christmas! Hoffmann Baritone

Recstar24

Reaction score
DSC02450[18].jpg
DSC02451[9].jpg
DSC02452[3].jpg
DSC02449[7].jpg
DSC02448[7].jpg

Well, not quite :) She's getting lacquer on her as we speak, but was really happy to see these progress pics from Jerry this afternoon. 19" baritone ML with live edge ebony and an incense cedar top sourced from Les Stansell, trimmed with curly koa and rosette. No fretboard dots, but Jerry took my handwritten initials and through vector magic recreated it about as perfectly as you could ask for. I also liked his interpretation of side dots, they appear to have purfling which I think is the cutest thing ever, I simply asked him to do something a little different for them and that is what he came up with. Looking forward to starting off 2017 nicely in uke land!

It will be beautiful! Since I see you're a Hoffmann aficionado, I don't have to tell you how much you'll love it.

Congrats in advance and Merry Christmas!

Looking good! Thanks for the pics.

Curious to how it will compare to your Stansell flamenco baritone. Guessing the Hoffmann will be warmer.

Last edited:
Another Jerry Hoffmann masterpiece. I hope you enjoy your Hoffmann bari as much as I do mine. Cedar top should be warm but with awesome sustain. Be sure and let us know what your impressions are. Congrats!

Wow, beautiful! I have never had the pleasure of seeing or playing a Hoffman but have liked what I've seen/heard through HMS. I see it's your third Hoffman, so I guess you think they're a-okay! ;-)

Um . . . how are you going to play that? It has no strings . . . ;)

It's a beauty for sure! Congrats!

Looks awesome :) I hope you don't have to wait too long for Santa to arrive...

It really does look great, Jerry has such an artistic eye. As someone else said, this being your third Hoffman kinda proves you like them..........a lot :cool:

Wow! I've never seen a Hoffman bari before, is it something new?
It sure looks cool.....even if Santa is a little late, heck it just makes Christmas last longer!

Looking good! Thanks for the pics.

Curious to how it will compare to your Stansell flamenco baritone. Guessing the Hoffmann will be warmer.

I'll definitely make a comparison clip when it comes in. I'm curious as well, as both are stansell tops but clearly very different designs, I'm comfortable saying the wood is both similar high quality so any sound differences will be almost exclusively by design.

Another Jerry Hoffmann masterpiece. I hope you enjoy your Hoffmann bari as much as I do mine. Cedar top should be warm but with awesome sustain. Be sure and let us know what your impressions are. Congrats!

Incense cedar isn't a true cedar, it's actually part of the cypress family like port orford cedar. My previous stansell tenor was incense cedar and I didn't find that thing warm at all lol.

Ryan, it sure is another great realisation from Jerry. Would love to do a duet with my Hoffmann Bari.

I haven't had much time lately to see what's been happening on UU with the selling of my house, packing up too many acquisitions/accumulations to ship cross country to Melbourne. It was a real treat to see your post. What a great Xmas for you!

Last edited:
That is definitely a fantastic looking instrument Ryan, can't wait to hear a sound sample. I am definitely loving my ML tenor!

Top Bottom