Acacia Koa Tenor Ukulele Kit

barnabefi

Reaction score
Hello,

I got a ukulele for my girlfriend a while ago, a concert Kala KA-CEM Concert Exotic Mahogany. She is happy with it but she would like a tenor now ....

I have searched the net and found those kit on ebay "Solid Acacia Koa Tenor Ukulele Kit" http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solid-Acacia-Koa-Tenor-Ukulele-Kit-No-Polish-Aquila-strings-KITKT03-19/162326278284?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D2c73ea3140c645a2bc1310fed9f63de1%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D162326278284

I have been building guitars couple of years ago so I though it would be actually fun to add some inlays, paint etc..
My real concern is that are those ukulele worth it ? I can't find any review from them.

The are made in vietnam by Taisamlu is an Online Musical WorkShop in Taiwan.

Those anyone as any experience with those?

The pics on this listing show pretty sizable chunks missing on the back of the tuner holes. FYI

I have a couple of taisamlu ukuleles that I like. I bought a kit a few years ago but unfortunately the kit was just an instrument that had failed quality control.

The tuners on that uke have a HUGE hole. There is a PEGHED model with a 10mm thread shaft. When it is in the holes, it doesn't show as looking out of place or ugly. I just finished an Oscar Schmidt OU-250 Bell that had the heavy ugly tuners that stuck out the sides. Because the edge trim on the Bell...like the trim on this one ...is ivory coloured, it looks much better with the grips being straight behind the headstock, and look like ivory rather than just cheap white plastic. I really like Acacia melanoxylon better than Acacia koa for stability and for price. Even living in Oregon, I have had Kamaka koa ukes split open. Both of them were rehomed. My 5 Lehua ukuleles are as solid as when I got them six years ago {S LNS C C T) They were designed by fellow who builds Pegasus Guitars and Ukuleles, and made in Portugal. It depends on how you view working with a challenge. I represent a line of ukuleles where my salesman calls and tells me he has a uke that isn't cosmetically 1st quality. One that has a wonderful neck and a badly unglued bamboo body, is worth the $$20.00 including shipping for a banjo uke body that has a broken neck. It certainly is a beautiful wood.

I don´t know anything of those kits and the quality of the wood. Therefore I wont say anything about them. If you have expericence in building guitars you might prefer to make the instrument in an all from the start. Here is a plan of a soprano ukulele that were given to me in a thread about a year ago by a Swedish ukulele builder on the forum.

Top Bottom