NUD: Magic Fluke Firefly concert maple

hendulele

Check your fleas
UU VIP
Reaction score
On a lark, I bid on a new, floor model Firefly from eBay. I set an upper limit for what I would pay (roughly $200 plus shipping), and to my surprise, I won!

It's going to be such a fun addition to the stable. I have a concert Fluke (pictured) and owned a soprano Flea and love the stuff they do at MFC. Once the strings have a couple days to settle in, it'll be be in the regular rotation ...

IMG_2671.jpg

Congratulations! Arent they fun?

Congrats! Looks great next to the Fluke :)

MFC said on the front page of the web site that a TENOR banjo is coming (by Jan 2017), I dont know if it is a tenor FireFly or something else that is new, but since I play mostly tenors, I would be interested in that, since, likely I would have already gotten a FireFly if it came in tenor scale before.

I just love the build quality, playability and tone of the MFC ukes. First class all the way! :)

I'm curious too Booli if they mean a Tenor-sized Firefly or if they mean a true Tenor Banjo. If the first, I wonder if they'll use a larger pot in the body.

I'm curious too Booli if they mean a Tenor-sized Firefly or if they mean a true Tenor Banjo. If the first, I wonder if they'll use a larger pot in the body.

I would not be surprised if it were NOT a Firefly...I mean they have the Timber bass and the Cricked Fiddle, and also have announced a Viola, so whey not a tenor banjo, as in 'Irish Tenor' GDAE 19" scale length banjo...either way, I'm gonna have to start saving up...:)

I have been asking for a tenor firefly for years every time I see any of the folks from the company including Jim B.
The stock answer has always been the same, "no, there is no demand for tenors". After waiting for so long I finally got a great tenor by M.L. Neal. Mark builds a super instrument.

IMG_0251.jpg

Last edited:
I have been asking for a tenor firefly for years every time I see any of the folks from the company including Jim B.
The stock answer has always been the same, "no, there is no demand for tenors". After waiting for so long I finally got a great tenor by M.L. Neal. Mark builds a super instrument.

I'm not familiar with that builder but it looks nice. Maybe Dale Webb finally caved with enough folks asking...

December 2016 – Updates from Magic Fluke said:
New top designs just added - colorful new tropical and surf originals by Evelyn Drew. New Fluke and Flea straps are now in stock. Exclusive to Magic Fluke and they work great on our instruments - find them under Gear. It’s been a busy summer and now the pressure is on to finish up year-end projects. The Tenor banjo is near complete and plan to be shipping in January at the latest. Also in the works is a Viola scale Cricket. With a few adjustments, it should satisfy viola players looking for a low cost acoustic/electric travel instrument. We are pleased to report the switch back to Australian Hoop Pine as our standard uke top wood. We started out using this material but had a disruption in supply for a few years. The hoop pine is a lighter, stiffer top resulting in a slightly brighter tone. We’ve also brought back the cinch top backpack gig bag in denim after many requests. For the holidays, keep in mind our constantly expanding tone wood jewelry line as well as our custom printed uke tops – great for personalizing instruments.

see here for more info: http://www.magicfluke.com

I have a 'tenor banjo' 18" scale, with an all-wooden top (not skin) and all wooden body (no hardware at all besides the tuners) from Zither-Heaven which is no longer in business and bought it because I do not want all the metal hardware that normally comes with a banjo...(too 'steampunk' for me)

...which is the same reason I have not tried other banjo ukes nor shorter scale banjos. If MFC keeps to the same design as the Firefly I'm in, --- but if they go the route of The Duke or The Sidekick, I'm gonna pass, not only because of the hardware, but because if the headstock shape changes, it's no longer a Magic Fluke to me.

One other reason I passed on the Duke and Sidekick is that the headstock reminds me of the Woody Woodpecker cartoons (yes, I am mental) and on an instrument I own it would bother me to look at it.

Maybe M.L. Neal would build a banjo/lele 19" scale with minimal hardware? I dunno if I could do it with all the metal required, but glad that you are enjoying yours - :music: :)

Maybe M.L. Neal would build a banjo/lele 19" scale with minimal hardware? I dunno if I could do it with all the metal required, but glad that you are enjoying yours - :music: :)

Booli, check out Terry Meade Banjos, he makes and all wooden banjo.

Booli, check out Terry Meade Banjos, he makes and all wooden banjo.

Thanks for reminding me about him. I just looked at his site (again) and they look nice and not too expensive for me. :)

Thanks for reminding me about him. I just looked at his site (again) and they look nice and not too expensive for me. :)

I have a tenor banjouke I am willing to sell.
I have it listed with pics in the market place.

Top Bottom