Animal Friendly Ukulele

sequoia

Reaction score
The vegan uke is done. No animals were harmed in the building of this uke. No hide glue, or abalone or ox bone or... anything. No cats guts or bees wax neither. A totally animal friendly ukulele.

DSCN7458.jpgDSCN7466.jpg DSCN7467.jpg

Also attached is a picture of where I ran into the side with a bandsaw and my ultimate fix. No way you gonna fix that one uke boy.

DSCN7357.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN7462.jpg
    DSCN7462.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 128
It looks great! What did you use for the finish?
I think your customer will be very happy:)!

The finish is shellac. The only way to go... Or, well, one way to go. Depending on how much time you want to spend. Also animal friendly. I think.

It's beautiful. You very tastefully repaired that bandsaw cut. It kind of adds character; lIke an insect ��, or distressed wood mark. The shellac finish really looks like the way to go, especially for folks who don't have spray equipment and a booth with explosion-proof ventilation for lacquer? (Albeit using spray cans outdoors could substitute)

Although french polishing is labor and time intensive, how does it compare in hardness, sheen and "grain-popping looks" to Tru-oil? (Tru-oil has been my go-to finish that I first used in the 1960's on gun stocks).

That's a very pretty Uke. Great job. Was the wood reclaimed?

As a lapsed vegetarian I think this whole project was a very cool idea... and the uke turned out great :)

As a lapsed vegetarian I think this whole project was a very cool idea... and the uke turned out great :)
Yes! :agree: that instrument looks WONDERFUL, and I enjoy the idea that it was purposely built this way (animal friendly)

It turned out great, but I bet you're glad it's done, especially having to deal with our northern CA rain lately! Certainly not building weather, particularly if you're spraying lacquer, which you were wise enough not to do.

Bob

I bet you're glad it's done, especially having to deal with our northern CA rain lately! Certainly not building weather,Bob

Actually I am glad it is done. I had to make changes I'm not comfortable with, but it was educational. What I missed the most was bone. Still searching for a substitute and to tell the truth I'm not happy with the synthetics for nuts and saddles. And yes the uke building weather in NorCal has been bad. Jungle uke anyone?

It is a beautiful job. While I'm not particularly animal friendly, in the sense that we are using it here, I really appreciate the effort that you went through to make it so.

Top Bottom