PDA

View Full Version : mgm...my favorite pastime......

MGM
04-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Well when not fooling with ukes there is one other thing i Like to do......Eat ....and someone just brought someono Huli Huli chkn. and mac salad to my office...I am in heaven...

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c345/musicguymic/20090422_3443.jpg

Link
04-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Aw man... that looks freaking delicious. I must move to Hawaii.

erikro
04-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Mike,

You are a lucky man. My job has sent me to many places around the coutry and in Europe. I have to say that Kaneohe was one of my favorite if not my favorite spots. Absolutely beautiful!

Erik

kailua
04-22-2009, 01:18 PM
:eek: Looks like a Zippy's lunch special. I'm HUNGRY!!!! :music:

Toucan Mango
04-22-2009, 01:18 PM
Unless we see a pic of you taking a bite it didn't happen ha ha..just kidding, looks good.

nikolo727
04-22-2009, 01:20 PM
I also am a lover of eating. (at 330 pounds its hard not too)

But I have a problem. My doctor declared me obese, so I have to go on a diet. Oh Baconator I will miss you. :(

Craig
04-22-2009, 01:43 PM
My guess this is from, "Zippy's"?

bbycrts
04-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Mmmm...looks great. My pref is Kalua Pork from L&L - but we don't have a whole lot of choice around here. When it's your only choice, though, L&L is plenty ono for me!

Ahnko Honu
04-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Whea da 2 scoop rice? :confused:

DeG
04-22-2009, 02:55 PM
Ono you know..try eat :shaka:

Kanaka916
04-22-2009, 03:03 PM
I no tink da plate from Zippy's or L&L, probably from one of the more lesser known establishments dat only locals know about. Trust me, get some bettah places den da ones previously mentioned. Time fo gindz . . .

DeG
04-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Years ago (1992) whenever we were working in, Honolulu, we would get plate lunch at this road side place that was like a white trailer or long skinny building like a trailer...it was some awesome grindz... It was just a walk up window that you ordered from, no dining area or anything. scoop of rice, scoop of salad, and some teri beef was my favorite. Anybody know this place? I can't remember the name.

Kanaka916
04-22-2009, 06:34 PM
Eh, all around Oahu, especially at the beaches and the industrial areas - lunch wagons are in abundance. Good food, inexpensive and best of all, homecooked!

NukeDOC
04-22-2009, 06:40 PM
awe man you guys are making me reminisce!

lemon pepper shrimp plate and volcano shrimp plate from da blue shrimp van! broke da mout!

experimentjon
04-22-2009, 08:31 PM
Yeah it doesn't look like Zippys or L&L. But plate lunch FTW.

MGM
04-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Ah the guesses where its from Actually this one was from Times Supermarket in Kaneohe. Wednesdays they set up barbicue grills outside the market and cook chicken...On saturdays I get Huli Huli chiken from a place cooking outside windward mall.....Of course there is Zippys and L and L. One of the newest plate lunch places sprouting up all over Hawaii Blazing steaks...ONO ONO ONO

Ahnko Honu
04-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Ah the guesses where its from Actually this one was from Times Supermarket in Kaneohe. Wednesdays they set up barbicue grills outside the market and cook chicken...On saturdays I get Huli Huli chiken from a place cooking outside windward mall.....Of course there is Zippys and L and L. One of the newest plate lunch places sprouting up all over Hawaii Blazing steaks...ONO ONO ONO

Is that the trailer in Windward Mall parking lot right next to the Leonard's Malasada Wagon (ono fo' desert)?

buddhuu
04-22-2009, 10:38 PM
I'm a bit on the chunky side, like Nick, and I totally need to shed some weight.

I'm vegetarian and eat a low-moderate fat diet as a matter of course. Most of my weight has been converted from Guinness - which forms a major part of my diet!

The beer is one of the few compromises to my vegetarianism. The brewing process of many beers uses a fish extract called isinglass. It's not an ingredient, but a fining agent for removing impurities. None of it should be left in the final product, but there is a chance that a tiny, tiny trace amount may be present in the beer.

But I don't eat fish.

My main food indulgence is vegetable curry. I love Indian food!

ukeshale
04-22-2009, 11:42 PM
Well when not fooling with ukes there is one other thing i Like to do......Eat ....and someone just brought someono Huli Huli chkn. and mac salad to my office...I am in heaven...

that looks SO nice. what does something like that cost over in hawaii?

Kanaka916
04-23-2009, 04:45 AM
I wish dey had Malasadas up hea, they try fo make um but not da same.

04-23-2009, 05:14 AM

Eo Kanaka,
are you with me with my distaste for all the pseudo Hawaiian Resturants opening here on the continent? L&L included. Passing asian food for hawaiian food. over salty kalua pig. chunky lau lau. serving portions of lomi lomi and haupia the size of a condiments cup. poke with NO OGO! and the worst: no option for poi!

hulihuli chicken sounds so good right now. i think it's time to pester my mom to make some shoyu chicken now.

JTY
04-23-2009, 05:16 AM
eh.. you supposed to use the plastic fork, you know the cheap kine that bust when you stab the chicken. Then you can use the broken tip as a toothpick aftawards.
:shaka:

04-23-2009, 05:18 AM
Eo Kanaka,
are you with me with my distaste for all the pseudo Hawaiian Resturants opening here on the continent? L&L included. Passing asian food for hawaiian food. over salty kalua pig. chunky lau lau. serving portions of lomi lomi and haupia the size of a condiments cup. poke with NO OGO! and the worst: no option for poi!

hulihuli chicken sounds so good right now. i think it's time to pester my mom to make some shoyu chicken now.

`Auwe. A`ole `olu`olu ana au!

bbycrts
04-23-2009, 06:18 AM
Eo Kanaka,

You takes what you can gets. I have an L&L near home, and a new place just opened up that I need to check out. The L&L near home does have poi available, though...

When I have the time and the motivation, I do a fair approximation of kalua pig at home. Not the same as I've had in Hawai'i, but close enough to generate wistful longing to go back...

Kanaka916
04-23-2009, 06:36 AM
Eo Kanaka,
Oh yea, definetly . . . L&L ova hea was poppin up like Starbucks and since dey went franchise and mostly pake ownahs. Since HSG (http://hawaiianstylegrill.com/page2.html) wen open, das whea we hang and Friday is kanikapila wit all da locals. Brush up on da pidgin, wala au wit da boys and listen to music and jes have a good time. Da ownahs are local boys (FHS grads) and all da regulahs are like ohana. No can beat dat, brah.

. . . hulihuli chicken sounds so good right now. i think it's time to pester my mom to make some shoyu chicken now.
Aww man, I had shoyu chicken da odda night.

seeso
04-23-2009, 07:12 AM
There's only one Hawaiian food place that I know of in Chicago. I went there and I had some tasty grub. I had Kalua pork.

MGM
04-23-2009, 07:36 AM
Ukeshale....something that what i had cost 6.00 and comes with a drink...I still miss ny aunties hamburgers though when i was young she owned the soda fountain place across the side of Mckinley High School in Town. Or was it all the cute girls that hung out there...can't remember must be getting old...lol

nikolo727
04-23-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm a bit on the chunky side, like Nick, and I totally need to shed some weight.

I'm vegetarian and eat a low-moderate fat diet as a matter of course. Most of my weight has been converted from Guinness - which forms a major part of my diet!

The beer is one of the few compromises to my vegetarianism. The brewing process of many beers uses a fish extract called isinglass. It's not an ingredient, but a fining agent for removing impurities. None of it should be left in the final product, but there is a chance that a tiny, tiny trace amount may be present in the beer.

But I don't eat fish.

Im not old enough to drink but I will tell you that I got big from taking prescription meds. i took a depression medication in 5gh grade and I gained 70 pounds in 5 months :eek:

since then Ive been on tens of differents meds and ive just been gaining more weight. Problem is I keep getting taller too. Im 6''4 now and 330. not good. my bones are in trouble.

Ahnko Honu
04-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Im 6''4 now and 330. not good. my bones are in trouble.

And all this time I was thinking Jake was a teeny little guy. ;)
You could become a celebrity if you moved to Japan.
http://broth.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/ss20080526b1a.jpg

buddhuu
04-23-2009, 12:35 PM
Im not old enough to drink but I will tell you that I got big from taking prescription meds. i took a depression medication in 5gh grade and I gained 70 pounds in 5 months :eek:

since then Ive been on tens of differents meds and ive just been gaining more weight. Problem is I keep getting taller too. Im 6''4 now and 330. not good. my bones are in trouble.

That's hard, Nick. :(

Beer wouldn't help. I was kidding about the weight being mostly Guinness. I can't afford to drink that much! Although I do enjoy the free drinks we get when we gig! I'm just old, unfit and don't get enough exercise.

I've done some depression medication in my time. I was lucky enough to avoid side effects.

Good luck with it all. Sounds like you have a fair bit to cope with, my friend. :(

Tanizaki
04-23-2009, 01:11 PM

Some prescription medications do have weight gain as a side effect, but no drug can violate the laws of thermodynamics. If you eat more than you use, you will gain weight.

I'm 5'11" and was just over 250 lbs at my fattest. No drugs - I just ate too much. Busted my ass for about half a year, and now I keep things at 180-185. It's not easy (or else we'd all be trim), but it can be done if you are serious about it. I'm happy to PM you the diet program I used if you're interested.

Kaneohe til the end
04-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Mike,

You are a lucky man. My job has sent me to many places around the coutry and in Europe. I have to say that Kaneohe was one of my favorite if not my favorite spots. Absolutely beautiful!

Erik
Muahhahaha!

again, muahhahahaha!

once again, muahahahaha!

Eo Kanaka,

and finally, muahahahahaha!

can get all that stuff in good ol' K-town.

felt like i had to rub it in a smidge

bbycrts
04-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Muahhahaha!

again, muahhahahaha!

once again, muahahahaha!

and finally, muahahahahaha!

can get all that stuff in good ol' K-town.

felt like i had to rub it in a smidge

Get back to your sanding! There are ukuleles to be built and UAS to be fed! Enough of your foul gloating!

Kaneohe til the end
04-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Get back to your sanding! There are ukuleles to be built and UAS to be fed! Enough of your foul gloating!

lol. nah, super lucky and grateful to be where i am. gotta say though, i dont think i could do what you guys are doing up there. i would die without my local food. my occasional malasada an/or l&l plate keeps me sane.

experimentjon
04-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Ukeshale....something that what i had cost 6.00 and comes with a drink...I still miss ny aunties hamburgers though when i was young she owned the soda fountain place across the side of Mckinley High School in Town. Or was it all the cute girls that hung out there...can't remember must be getting old...lol

Wait, where is that? Is that the one on the corner of Piikoi and King? Or is it like long gone?

slapbass
04-24-2009, 04:56 AM

I was exactly the same size as you a 1-1/2 years ago..
I went on an all protein diet and lost 100lbs in 10 months..Its hard but stick to it..If I can do it anyone can..I figured if it was once alive or grew in dirt I could eat it..
No longer need to take blood pressure meds and Im 45 so at your age you should have no problems..

Sorry didnt mean to derail the thread but his situation kinda hit home..Beside us big bruddahs need to stick together!!!! :)

Back on topic ...Anyone have any home recipe's for local food..
I love Portugese bean soup but havent found a really good recipie for it..Those are all in our Aunties brain..
But maybe thats another thread..

Kanaka916
04-24-2009, 05:01 AM
...Anyone have any home recipe's for local food..
I love Portugese bean soup but havent found a really good recipie for it..Those are all in our Aunties brain..
But maybe thats another thread..
Try this one (http://archives.starbulletin.com/2000/09/27/features/story1.html) . . . or dis one (http://tastyisland.wordpress.com/2007/05/28/portuguese-bean-soup/). In fact, just did one search with Google (http://www.google.com/search?q=portugese+bean+soup%2C+recipe&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a).

slapbass
04-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanx...I tried that one off google but it didnt have that bite my Aunties did..
Still good though..

Uke Republic
04-24-2009, 11:53 AM

But I don't eat fish.

Guinness, more nutritious than milk.Hurry! Hurry! Hurry! Bring me rice and curry!

MGM
04-24-2009, 12:34 PM
It was the one at piikoi and king but over 20 years ago... it has become several noodle shops since then.....

slapbass
04-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Piikoi..hahaha..I know the rest of you Pinoys are laughing..:D

experimentjon
04-24-2009, 04:20 PM
It was the one at piikoi and king but over 20 years ago... it has become several noodle shops since then.....

Ah yes, that's what I thought. I was pretty sure it was noodles, but I thought maybe they also had burgers. Haha, it has been noodles ever since I can remember.