Ukulele Nut Higher on one end?

WKerrigan

Reaction score
First mistake with my new Christmas toy. I received a beautiful Ohana Soprano from Mim's Ukes this morning and was very excited to string it up with some Aquila Soprano Fifths so that I could tune it like a mandolin. Mim adjusts the action on every uke she sells, and I, being stupid, removed the GCEA strings she had so perfectly set up, not paying attention to the direction of the nut (which was held in place by tension). So now I am ready to string up the GDAE strings, and I notice that the nut is much higher on one end than the other, and I don't know which end goes up (i.e. is it more likely that the high end was at the G, or the A, in standard tuning?) Or is this something that really depends on the individual uke? I could of course send a message to Mim, but didn't want to bother her Christmas morning. Any thoughts?

I think I figured it out by just looking at the nuts on my other ukes. Sorry for the stupid question.

Hi WKeerigan and merry Christmas!

The nut is usually flat on the fretboard side and curved on the tuner side. But it doesn't have to be. The slots should be higher on the fretboard side and sloped back on the tuner side. And finally, the C slot should be wider than the rest.

Hope this helps. Add a single dot of superglue to the back of the nut once you work it out to make things easy in future,

Top Bottom