What Musical Gifts Did You Get

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. Musical gifts are always exciting to received so here is your chance to share with the rest of us what you got.

I will go first. I received a pair of Audio Technica ATH -M50x headphones. Gifts cards to Long and McQuad, our big music store in Canada. I am going to buy a good micropnone with that.

A gift from me to me was a Ono 18" tenor ukulele that was on HMS. I didn't think I would see it before Christmas but it showed up on Friday. I will do a NUD once I've spent some time with it.

So please share your musical treasures with us, be they large or small........hoping everyone had a great day.

Last edited:
Only musical gift I got was the one I bought myself....a Mele mahogany tenor at a ridiculously, and I mean RIDICULOUSLY low price. It will keep my Mele mahogany 6 string concert company.

...A gift from me to me...

Only musical gift I got was the one I bought myself...

Count me in the self-giver club...

Mine was early though, back around first week of November, when scanning for used ukes in various places, I found a used standard LAVA (black) concert Fluke on sale for about half price of a new one...and since I did not yet have a concert Fluke...and I watched it for about 2 weeks and it was still there (not on eBay)...I figured I should give it a new home...WITH ME...

Four days later it was in my hands :) :music:

It was as described in 'Very good condition' and I'm very happy with it. :rock: :nana:

Last edited:
My wife gave me a set of spoons. Sense I give her a head ach while playing they are plastic. I keep telling my self it the thought that counts. FA AL LAL LAL LAL.

My son gave me The Daily Ukulele and a beautiful handmade wall hanger for my ukulele. Very pleased!

My wife gave me a new Peak SMS-20 music stand and a copy of John King's "The Classical Ukulele." For myself, early last week I took delivery of a Pono ATD-CR Cedar-Top Acacia Tenor ukulele! Things have been quite busy here with holiday preparations and a house guest, so no NUD post yet, but I hope to take care of that soon.

This year I bought both the Opio and Pono (together about $1150), so I wasn't getting much else for my birthday (November) or Christmas.

A few little gifts did pop up. I was given an Ernie Ball string winder and a set of Martin 620 ukulele strings from my parents, and my wife bought me a laser etched ukulele ornament off Etsy.

My other "big" gift was a new insulated mug from Starbucks.

That isn't a lot when you are responsible for the primary income in the house--but my gifts really are the Opio and Pono.

On the other hand, My wife's aunt asked me to find the song "Christmas will find you" so she could sing it with ukulele--so I transcribed the song and brought it with my Pono to my wife's family Christmas yesterday, so we sat together and sang that, and then as a family sang a number of other songs. By the way--Christmas Will Find You is incredibly LOW for a female singer--and in a ridiculous key--E major. I decided on two alternate keys (A and C) and capoed to E from the C version. (F is also really low...my wife's aunt is a true contralto).

My girlfriend got me a Cordoba Mini r. It sounds surprisingly good and I can't believe how much fun it is to play. I'm driving everyone crazy because I haven't put it down (Or it could be because I don't know any songs and keep playing anyways)

Congrats on the Ono Dave, I really like the idea of an 18" scale.

Presents that have to do with music. First of all, two vintage Bob Dylan records, one of which is scratched and we are taking back to the store today to see if they have another. I play songs and sing to my baby grand daughter when we take care of her, so her parents gave me a book titled Children's Songs for Solo Ukulele. I'm wondering if it is a hint that the likes of Oh Lord Won't You Buy Me a Mercedes Benz and Bottle of Wine Fruit of the Vine are not what they want me singing to her. Anyway, it looks like a fun book, and it has lots of songs in it. Then my wife gave me a pair of Skullcandy bluetooth headsets to listen to my music on my phone. She got everyone a set. They were on half price sale. The best present of all though was that I had to show my teenage niece how to connect her's to her phone. How often does that happen, a sixty-six year old geezer showing a teenager how to do something technical? Wonders of joy. :D I hope that everyone's holidays were as fun as mine were.

Last edited:
My music-related gifts were a music theory book and an appropriate ukulele-themed t-shirt ("All I need is this ukulele. And that one there..".

Totally an unexpected surprise from my wife, a couple of song books:

-Jumpin' Jim's Ukulele Christmas
-Jumpin' Jim's Happy Holidays

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. Musical gifts are always exciting to received so here is your chance to share with the rest of us what you got.

I will go first. I received a pair of Audio Technica ATH -M50x headphones. Gifts cards to Long and McQuad, our big music store in Canada. I am going to buy a good micropnone with that.

A gift from me to me was a Ono 18" tenor ukulele that was on HMS. I didn't think I would see it before Christmas but it showed up on Friday. I will do a NUD once I've spent some time with it.

So please share your musical treasures with us, be they large or small........hoping everyone had a great day.

Congrats on the Ono - I saw that on HMS, it is gorgeous. Can't wait to hear a sample. Love those Onos.

Holidays are not big for me anymore with family and friends "gone much too soon". No presents under a tree when you are alone LOL. But I did gift myself some new strings - those Thomastik wound CF27 and 30's to try on a laminate LN concert I have. It has been brutally cold and so dry here (-40 C) that I am reluctant to take the Loprinzi out of its humidified case.

I'm eyeing microphones as well. Nothing too expensive - some good deals are around for the Shure MV5 which connects to both the Ipad and PC without an interface. Recording myself is something new to learn and I think a great incentive/tool to improve.

Hope you snag a good deal Dave. Really looking forward to all the NUDs that should be coming :p

Included in a gift bag from my son was a copy of the "Ukulele" magazine. I had never heard of this periodical. Its got lots of uke resources, tips, reviews, travel ideas, etc. It is published quarterly. I'm certainly going to pop for a 2017 subscription.

I'll skip the gifts I got myself (too many to list) and just note the gift my 94 year old mother got me that she doesn't even know about, two Samson R31S dynamic microphones plus two 25 foot XLR cables. Yesterday he gave me Chanukah Gelt, $100, and I'm off to Sam Ash today.

Do beans count? (just kidding!)

I used some of my Christmas money to order a music stand. Haven't had Christmas with my parents yet, that'll happen on Wednesday or Thursday.

I received a pair of Audio Technica ATH -M50x headphones. Gifts cards to Long and McQuad, our big music store in Canada. I am going to buy a good micropnone with that.

The ATH-M50 are great cans. I bought them a few years ago and they are fantastic studio headphones that have a super price/value ratio. Love them. They hold up well under intense use also. I had done a lot of research before buying them, too.

Musical gifts this year were all self-bought (partially with my Christmas bonus from work), though it's just coincidence (excuses) that these purchases happened around the holidays. I got myself a 24" parlor guitar from Alvarez, the AP70. It's large for a parlor guitar, but I'm very happy with that because it means it has good bass resonance in standard guitar tuning. I really like the 44.45mm (1.75") nut, and any more narrow string spacing wouldn't work for me (I saw the GS Mini has 42-something mm). It's much better than the 51mm of the guitarlele (sold it) or the 52mm of a classical guitar, so I figure that is the sweet spot for me. Perhaps 46mm would be perfect, but 44 and a half mm works well. Love the 24" scale. No idea how people can play comfortably on larger scales! I greatly enjoy the steel strings sound. It's very different from the ukulele sound and a great contrast, so there is little overlap and I don't feel like I'm playing the same instrument just in a bigger size.

I'm also getting a proper stool this week, because I don't have any without arms (this one) and a tambourine. The stool is for guitar playing (the stuff I never considered with ukuleles because they are so wonderfully uncomplicated in their handling), and the tambourine is for my New Years resolution to work on my sense of rhythm and tempo! I could do that without a tambourine, but this also gets me to walk around/stand up more. Similar reason why I started to learn juggling (balls) a few weeks ago. I sit too much, both for work and when practicing. Plus, it should be fun!

Last edited:
Top Bottom