Ukulele shelves

JeLeh

Reaction score
My husband built us some custom ukulele shelves and I think they're pretty neat so I wanted to show them off :) I like the nametag holders on the front so I know which uke belongs in which spot.

The collection was on a bench in our living room, which was great for easy access, but we realized we were hitting "crazy cat lady" level of ukuleles when visitors to our home started asking exactly how many we could play at once. We decided we should find a better (and more hidden) storage option. We didn't find anything we liked among the pre-made options, so he built these floating shelves. Of course he thought of improvements the moment they were finished, but I'm thrilled with them! And, it does look better than the ukulele bench.

Attachments

• DSC01809.jpg
    DSC01809.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC01810.jpg
    DSC01810.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC01811.jpg
    DSC01811.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 133
Those look great! Nice and organized. I hope you included space for the new cases that will be coming soon. ;)

Next time someone mentions how many ukuleles I have, I'm going to say, "They could be cats!" :)

I like seeing innovative and efficient solutions. I took the liberty of rotating the first photo, at first I thought the shelves where sideways.

Ukes in cases shelf.jpg

Looks great!

The only problem I see is when you get a tenor, baritone or a guitar, the shelves wont be far enough apart for taller ukes if they are all set in place for a certain height...

as far as 'crazy cat lady' - good thing you dont have that problem, I would much prefer the smell of cedar or mahogany (or COFFEE) first thing in the morning, to you know...the alternative (with a herd of cats)

Is there any buffering between the edge of the wood shelf and the edge of any of the hard cases? In time, the cases will be marked at the contact points even if the inside edges are rounded rather that just a 90-degree edge....but it will not leave such a distinct mar on the covering fabric if they were router rounded.

Those look nice. I bet my wife would be thrilled if I built some...

Beautiful woodworking, very high class.

I get that question a lot. When asked why I own so many ukes I state they are fewer in number then my wife's shoes. If it is a woman asking the question a guilty silence usually follows.

Last edited:
Those look great! Nice and organized. I hope you included space for the new cases that will be coming soon. ;)

Next time someone mentions how many ukuleles I have, I'm going to say, "They could be cats!" :)

Thanks! Yes, there's room for expansion :). I can move some of the ones that are on it now. Plus there's one more unfinished shelf we can add to another wall if we have to later.

I like seeing innovative and efficient solutions. I took the liberty of rotating the first photo, at first I thought the shelves where sideways.

Ukes in cases shelf.jpg

Thank you! I couldn't figure out how to rotate it since the image was correctly oriented when I uploaded it. I didn't realize people would think they were sideways! ;)

Looks great!

The only problem I see is when you get a tenor, baritone or a guitar, the shelves wont be far enough apart for taller ukes if they are all set in place for a certain height...

as far as 'crazy cat lady' - good thing you dont have that problem, I would much prefer the smell of cedar or mahogany (or COFFEE) first thing in the morning, to you know...the alternative (with a herd of cats)

The top shelf has more space to allow for tenors and concerts. No plans for guitars at this time.

And yes, ukes smell much better than a herd of cats! ;)

Is there any buffering between the edge of the wood shelf and the edge of any of the hard cases? In time, the cases will be marked at the contact points even if the inside edges are rounded rather that just a 90-degree edge....but it will not leave such a distinct mar on the covering fabric if they were router rounded.

No buffering right now. We only have one hard case so I hadn't thought of that. I'll ask for an upgrade though :). Thanks for the suggestion!

Beautiful woodworking, very high class.

I get that question a lot. When asked why I own so many ukes I state they are fewer in number then my wife's shoes. If it is a woman asking the question a guilty silence usually follows.

Thank you! I'll pass along the compliment! Good point about the shoes :)

No buffering right now. We only have one hard case so I hadn't thought of that. I'll ask for an upgrade though :). Thanks for the suggestion!

I was wrong. My husband said he put a bit of a chamfer on the edge by hand. It's small though and nothing official like with a router.

Top Bottom