Kiwaya FS-6 string recommendations

Barry Canada

Reaction score
Hi, I am relatively new to Ukulele playing. I purchased a used Kiwaya model FS-6 and would like to put on new strings. I like to strum and fingerpick. Any recommendations would be welcome and appreciated.
Thanks, Barry

If it is like the Famous FS-6, which I believe is the case, they have a compensated saddle (looks like a mountain range) and are set up for the D'Addario Pro Arte Titanium strings (EJ87S). Unless that's what on it (they have a grey-purple-ish hue that makes them easy to spot), I'd give those a try. I didn't expect to like them on my FS-5, but when it arrived it sounded fantastic with them, so I kept them. (Perfect intonation, better than more expensive sopranos I have heard.)

Thanks Mivo,
This is the Kiwaya FS-6 model! There doesn't seem to be much information about this particular model. What is the difference in sound between the Daddaio Pro Arte Titanium and the Fremont Kiwaya tends to string their ukes with?
Also have you tried the worthy on your FS-6?

Famous and Kiwaya are the same. They use the Kiwaya name for the international market and Famous for the Japanese market, so everything you can google about the Famous FS-6 also applies to your instrument. It's the same model. Strings may differ, though I recall HMS/TheUkuleleSite saying that the Kiwaya FS-* models also come with Titaniums. Getting a clear answer on this from Kiwaya is a bit like pulling teeth. Maybe a language barrier, though.

I haven't tried Fremont strings on any of my ukuleles (other than the Fremont Soloist on my tenor), so I can't comment on them. The difference between Worth strings and the Titanium strings is that the former are brighter/colder sounding. They are also more floppy on a soprano. The Titaniums are more mellow, fuller sounding, and feel softer to the touch (they also have a slightly higher tension). On this particular uke, I haven't experimented with strings because of the compensated saddle. Using different strings than what the saddle was compensated for jeopardizes the intonation, that's one of the most precious aspects of Kiwaya's sopranos, I feel. :)

I have had three Kiwaya sopranos including a currently owned FS-5. I prefer either Fremont Blacklines or Worth Browns on them, which seems to work well for both strumming and finger style.

Does anyone know what is the difference between the Famous FS-6 and the Famous FS-1? Both appear to be laminate mahogany, but the FS-6 was somewhat more expensive. I have read the the FS-6 has been discontinued, but Famous has released a special edition FS-6cst that has more frets and planetary tuners. List price is 55,000 yen. https://www.kiwayasbest.com/shopdetail/000000004622/

Top Bottom