PDA

View Full Version : Sound port on my Kanilea soprano

ktsa5239
12-27-2016, 01:37 AM
Added a dog paw sound port to my Kanilea soprano! Love the result, exactly the same tone as before but noticeably louder. It feels more lively with the increased volume. I'm rather surprised by the change.
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=96535&d=1482842125

cml
12-27-2016, 01:47 AM
Great (dremel?) work!

ktsa5239
12-27-2016, 01:51 AM
Didn't have a dremel, it was a drill and loads of sandpaper

Ukador
12-27-2016, 02:25 AM
Weren't you afraid of cracking sides?

stevejfc
12-27-2016, 02:33 AM
Woof!!!!!!

derbyhat
12-27-2016, 02:48 AM
This is incredible! Both the design and because you had the guts to drill into the side of your ukulele!

M3Ukulele
12-27-2016, 04:23 AM
Looks great. I'm glad it worked out and sounds good. It took lots of guts to do this home mod. I like the design. What made you pick the dawg paw? I bet Kanilea would be interested in the sound improvement the side port made.

Mivo
12-27-2016, 04:39 AM
Very brave!

kohanmike
12-27-2016, 04:50 AM
Very nicely done, but if you intend on doing more, I suggest a Dremel. I've been cutting out a number of my ukes for preamps with a cordless Dremel and it makes quick clean work of it. First I use the cutting bit, then a sanding drum.

Joyful Uke
12-27-2016, 08:30 AM
This is incredible! Both the design and because you had the guts to drill into the side of your ukulele!

+1. Nice job! My dogs like it too, but I hope they're not inspired to try adding their paw prints to my ukuleles.

ktsa5239
12-27-2016, 05:13 PM
A few beers makes you feel fearless, don't really have a particular reason on the dog paw pattern but I knew I didn't want a regular oval or plain circle and everything else I found on google was too complicated so I went with the paw!
I liked the result so much that it's now on my tenor as well!
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=96548&d=1482898380

UkerDanno
12-27-2016, 05:29 PM

+1 agreed!!! :agree:

sam13
12-27-2016, 05:47 PM
Fabulous job.

How much do want for for a simple oval? Lol

kafkapenguin
12-27-2016, 06:47 PM
Love it! Now you have a pair of "woofers". ;)

UkerDanno
12-28-2016, 03:52 AM
Love it! Now you have a pair of "woofers". ;)

haha, good one! I have a pair of woofers and didn't even have to cut my Kanile'a! :shaka:

UkieOkie
12-28-2016, 04:01 AM
Dude, that's pretty cool.

Choirguy
12-28-2016, 04:34 AM
Did you do anything to seal the sides where you made the cuts? Or is that just bare wood now?

TheCraftedCow
12-28-2016, 06:49 AM
I am glad to see someone else customizes their ukuleles. I am an upholsterer in real life with lots of random sized pieces of fabric. I did a profile of a beaver on an orange ukulele. (Go Beves!!) The wood edge was carefully inked black, and a piece of beaver brown suede was glued behind it. From any angle it is immediately recognizeable with no interference from the internal structure of the ukulele. The three decreasing size hearts on the side of another were backed with a red thin fabric. It does not diminish the amount or tone of what comes out. I also have random sized pieces of foam rubber. I tie a long piece of string to the piece I am going to use as a backer for the cutout design and let it stick out of the sound hole as I push the chunk of foam against the back of the cutout design. I can then work the backing fabric into place and get it smoothed out. I use a hypodermic needle and a syringe to apply a thin layer of yellow glue around the outside edges.The foam keeps the pressure between the fabric and wood as I go around the outside perimeter. A bent wire can be inserted through the sound hole to make sure the pressure is on until the glue dries. Yes...I loosen string tension to have access to the hole

M3Ukulele
12-28-2016, 08:21 AM
Once again, Bravo on a well done job on the Tenor. That really was gutsy on that beautiful Tenor. Nice job. did you also notice a difference in sound or projection once you added in the dawg paw? what size drill bits did you use. A hole saw bit for the bigger opening? Just curious. Too bad you never made a video of this.

Booli
12-28-2016, 10:06 AM
That looks great !

Do the ukes have more 'bark' to the sound now? LOL

Did you use a template, or just put a layer of masking tape and draw the lines freehand?

I may put a sound port in one of my ukes, either a Fluke or Flea, and likely will go with an elliptical shape in order to get the size I want without going too large a diameter hole and end up having too little space left between the edges of the hole and the top and back...any thoughts as to if this is a good idea as opposed to 3 smaller circular holes?

MFC now offers a side port as an option and they are showing an elliptical hole, which is what gave me the idea..

I have a Ryobi hole saw kit (made for installing door locks) that I will use with an electric drill at low speed for the initial cuts and a dremel for finishing up.

kohanmike
12-28-2016, 10:52 AM
I was hesitant to show a new uke I'm having made by Bruce Wei in Vietnam, but it fits this thread so well I have to show it. I saw his design on a uke he was selling on eBay and asked him to make me one with spalted and curly mango. No top sound hole, but sound holes all the way around the bouts, plus an unexpected one in the cutaway. (please forgive me for distracting from your terrific effort.)

http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/BWA spalted progress 900.jpg

ktsa5239
12-28-2016, 11:24 AM
I was hesitant to show a new uke I'm having made by Bruce Wei in Vietnam, but it fits this thread so well I have to show it. I saw his design on a uke he was selling on eBay and asked him to make me one with spalted and curly mango. No top sound hole, but sound holes all the way around the bouts, plus an unexpected one in the cutaway. (please forgive me for distracting from your terrific effort.)

http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/BWA spalted progress 900.jpg

wow that looks great ! How does it sound?

DownUpDave
12-28-2016, 11:31 AM
I love what you did and the balls it took to do it. That tenor is no "cheapie" instrument, neither is the soprano for that matter. I agree about the noticed increase in volume the player hears. Most luthiers talk about the need for reinforcment in the area to be cut out. You obviously didn't need to do this with your design and the sides look fairly thick.

I have ukes with sound ports and love them. I think I feel the urge to put a few of my other ukes, under the knife.

ktsa5239
12-28-2016, 12:13 PM
This is the template I've used, I've printed 5 different sizes using MS word and cutted them out to see which one fits best. From my research, people claim a side port is best when its roughly bigger than one third of the side width.
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=96573&d=1482968952
I didnt think about reinforcements or anything, in fact I didnt even mask the area before I start. I just slapped the template on and went with it.
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=96574&d=1482968952

ktsa5239
12-28-2016, 12:15 PM
I didnt take a video but I do have a few photos showing the process

I first drilled it out with a fine drill bit, using a sharp drill bit helps with a cleaner cut. Thought about hole saws too, but even the smallest size would be way too big. I figured I shouldnt go too close to the edge of the template so I get some wood to knock off and round it.
After that, I've used needle files to roughly shape it to the template. I was really careful with the needle files that I didnt hit the braces. So I took it really slowly
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=96575&d=1482969059
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=96576&d=1482969059
After that, I've just used find grit sandpaper to round the edges out
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=96577&d=1482969059
Interestingly, it seems like the placement of the port doesnt really matter. I had it up higher on the sop comparing to the tenor. Mainly because I determined the position based on how I hold the uke when I play so that the port to directed to me. Both resulted in no change of tone but louder. I'm not sure about the audience side of things, my wife reckon its just the same listening to me play but maybe it is just in my head, I feel a noticable increase in volume. It takes abit of patience but its not hard, I think I'll need a port for every uke I own from now.

Booli
12-28-2016, 12:46 PM
Maybe it's just me with my browser plugins that block web trackers in Firefox, but I do not see any of the photos that ktsa5239 posted in the above 2 posts, anyone else have this issue?

I even tried another browser (Midori, which is like Apple's Safari but on Linux, and is totally vanilla with no add-ons and nothing blocked) and still, no photos.

Cleared cache, cookies, etc to no avail...:(

zztush
12-28-2016, 01:18 PM
Thanks ktsa5239! Now it is very easy to uderstand what you did with your nice photos. Nice sound hole, have fun!