Shopping Plans for 2017 -- what's on your list?

Mivo

Reaction score
A new year is approaching, and with it come numerous opportunities to buy new ukuleles! ;) (Yes, practicing, making music, and having fun should be on anyone's list also!)

Do you have any shopping plans? Is your UAS focused on any particular instrument, something you consider getting in the new year? A luthier-built instrument nearing completion in 2017?

For myself, I think the only thing that I'm currently mildly curious about would be an acoustic (not electric) ukulele with steel strings, something the size of a tenor or smaller. But I'm not sure if this exists, and whether it's a feasible option at all. It's something I want to look into next year, though. Other than that, I seem happy with the ukes I have.

When I checked my bank account on Christmas Eve, I had just £13 in my current account so shopping is off the menu for a while.

I'm debating a Tiny Tenor, a Farallon, and a custom from a fellow in Italy. The TT , I just think the design ,size and shape are cool. The TT also sound good and would be great to Travel with. Farallon because it's eKOA, sounds great, no humidity issues - a great worry free ukulele that will last forever. The custom because I want to try Red Spruce and can have a scooped bevel. It also sounds great. But reality is, I would likely only get one but hope to get a chance to play two of the three before deciding.

I've done a lot of damage in the last six weeks, so I'm not planning on committing to anything else.

Having said that, I have pending an Elvish concert (Antica Ukuleleria - Marco Todeschini) due in February or March, and a Mya-Moe walnut baritone due in October or November.

2016 was my official introduction to the ukulele with the purchase of my own personal ukulele in January 2016 (the Makala CE...January 12 was the original order from Amazon). Since then, I have amassed my own collection of generally low-budget ukes, as well as outfitted a school with 104 ukuleles (58 Mahalos, 40 Waterman [thank you, Kala], and 6 Caramels...then started selling the Mahalos to kids to replace with Caramels. In addition, Mainland Mike graciously donated four instruments and I also bought one of the Lanikai Soprano Banjoleles when they were on sale last fall.

In the mean time, I have learned to do a lot: to play & arrange, to teach, to re-string, to set-up, and more.

2017 is going to have to be a focus on technology...my iPad and MacBook are dated...and my first love outside of music (including ukulele) is the intersection of technology and music education--and I speak about that topic at conventions across the United States. With the latest version of Mac OS, my MacBook (2008) can no longer be updated, and my eyes desperately need the 12.9" iPad.

These toys all point back to the ukulele, as I use them to create materials for myself and my students, to add to the blogs that I write, and more.

My next ukulele will likely be a Mainland...I saw the line at the Milwaukee Festival, and had a chance to visit with Mike, which led to (but was not intended to cause) the donations to our program. In particular I like the cedar models, although I now have that Pono Cedar. Can you have too many Cedar instruments?

Otherwise, I see more purchases of strings and so on. I know I want to get some Worth clears on hand for the Opio, and to have more Martins stockpiled for when I think I need to make a change.

I am also researching digital calipers to start measuring string thickness (thanks, Booli--the sickness is starting).

Oh...and if I see some good ukulele shirts around, I'll be buying some of those too (I have to re-bump my own thread about the shirts we still have available).

Ah the evils of consumerism... oh, what the heck, I'll play :D

Having recently gotten into baritone ukes in a big way I would very much like to acquire a LoPrinzi all hog bari (either a model A or model B) at some point in the coming year. However, as I am still technically a 'mature student' and basically skint it may have to wait until 2018. Something to look forward to anyway :)

(Mivo - check your pm's!)

I have gone through all the sizes in the past couple of years and settled on tenor and baritone as my perferred sizes and tone. I like a full resonant tone, sometimes tenors don't get there other times baritones are too much so. I like a spruce topped baritone to brighten and balance things out

I have a LfdM baritone on order with Luis. It will be spruce top and rosewood back and sides, due summer of 2017. I have been purging over the last year and selling off ukes as I become more sure of what I like.

I am at a UAS crossroads. I have been Bari-curious for several months. I also have been coveting a Godin Multiuke. Not quite sure which direction I'll jump next. If it's like my other Uke purchases it will be an unexpected opportunity.

Lets see what NAMM brings

I definitely have some ukes to sell, but I also have some ukes I can't ever imagine parting with. So I definitely need to sell more than shop this year. But I have a list of very specific ukes that if the right opportunity came along, I would likely jump on it: a Moore Bettah, a Grimes, a Blackbird Clara, possibly a TODA, Kiwaya Master KMC-K and possibly a Laughlin 5K.

I think I'm all set - I managed to get through 2016 without giving in to the temptation of an anniversary model Kamaka, and there really isn't anything else I'm drawn to. And, I'm flat broke :)

But my local shop is expecting one last shipment of those anniversary models, so... it remains to be seen if my will to resist can remain strong!

I'll probably need some more Irish Whisky. Or maybe some more Dewar's Scotch. It helps my singin'.

I'd like to try some single malt, but it's expensive, and I don't know if I'd like it. :eek:ld:

Lets see what NAMM brings

I'm definitely looking forward to hearing about NAMM. But, I also hope to have UAS under control. (Hope is not confidence, however. LOL.)

I'm planning on spending the winter deciding what I can sell, and confirming my preferred size. Right now I think it's concert, though Ohta San size, (16" scale), might be even better. That makes me intrigued by the Ono 16" concerts, but since I don't know what that neck is like, and can't try it before buying, maybe I'll just have to be content with the amazing ukuleles that I have. (I did say maybe. LOL.)

So, nothing planned, other than enjoying what I'm very fortunate enough to have. But, unplanned things do happen....

I'm definitely looking forward to hearing about NAMM. But, I also hope to have UAS under control. (Hope is not confidence, however. LOL.)

I'm planning on spending the winter deciding what I can sell, and confirming my preferred size. Right now I think it's concert, though Ohta San size, (16" scale), might be even better. That makes me intrigued by the Ono 16" concerts, but since I don't know what that neck is like, and can't try it before buying, maybe I'll just have to be content with the amazing ukuleles that I have. (I did say maybe. LOL.)

So, nothing planned, other than enjoying what I'm very fortunate enough to have. But, unplanned things do happen....

Not to be a total enabler, but David can custom-shape the neck for you on an Ono. I had him emulate the Collings neck shape on the 16" concert he made me.

I'm planning to do a lot more selling than buying. I have ukuleles that are wonderful instruments that I just don't play anymore because I play even more wonderful instruments instead, and those unplayed instruments deserve homes where they'll get more attention than I can give them.

:wallbash: I think I have UAS under control - don't tempt me! :stop:

Absolutely, Keith. A depleted bank account is good encouragement not to spend. I thought mine was under control until I saw that baritone offer :bowdown: Definitely no more ukes for a while and I might even rehome one - probably my banjo uke.

I'll probably need some more Irish Whisky. Or maybe some more Dewar's Scotch. It helps my singin'.

I'd like to try some single malt, but it's expensive, and I don't know if I'd like it. :eek:ld:

Woah, single malt is definitely what you should be buying. Blended stuff is nowhere near as nice!

I have gone through all the sizes in the past couple of years and settled on tenor and baritone as my perferred sizes and tone. I like a full resonant tone, sometimes tenors don't get there other times baritones are too much so. I like a spruce topped baritone to brighten and balance things out

I have a LfdM baritone on order with Luis. It will be spruce top and rosewood back and sides, due summer of 2017. I have been purging over the last year and selling off ukes as I become more sure of what I like.

My plan is a kamaka baritone .

Top Bottom