PDA

View Full Version : Shopping Plans for 2017 -- what's on your list?

Mivo
12-27-2016, 04:21 AM
A new year is approaching, and with it come numerous opportunities to buy new ukuleles! ;) (Yes, practicing, making music, and having fun should be on anyone's list also!)

Do you have any shopping plans? Is your UAS focused on any particular instrument, something you consider getting in the new year? A luthier-built instrument nearing completion in 2017?

For myself, I think the only thing that I'm currently mildly curious about would be an acoustic (not electric) ukulele with steel strings, something the size of a tenor or smaller. But I'm not sure if this exists, and whether it's a feasible option at all. It's something I want to look into next year, though. Other than that, I seem happy with the ukes I have.

Tootler
12-27-2016, 04:27 AM
When I checked my bank account on Christmas Eve, I had just 13 in my current account so shopping is off the menu for a while.

M3Ukulele
12-27-2016, 04:31 AM
I'm debating a Tiny Tenor, a Farallon, and a custom from a fellow in Italy. The TT , I just think the design ,size and shape are cool. The TT also sound good and would be great to Travel with. Farallon because it's eKOA, sounds great, no humidity issues - a great worry free ukulele that will last forever. The custom because I want to try Red Spruce and can have a scooped bevel. It also sounds great. But reality is, I would likely only get one but hope to get a chance to play two of the three before deciding.

kvehe
12-27-2016, 04:46 AM
I've done a lot of damage in the last six weeks, so I'm not planning on committing to anything else.

Having said that, I have pending an Elvish concert (Antica Ukuleleria - Marco Todeschini) due in February or March, and a Mya-Moe walnut baritone due in October or November.

Choirguy
12-27-2016, 05:04 AM
2016 was my official introduction to the ukulele with the purchase of my own personal ukulele in January 2016 (the Makala CE...January 12 was the original order from Amazon). Since then, I have amassed my own collection of generally low-budget ukes, as well as outfitted a school with 104 ukuleles (58 Mahalos, 40 Waterman [thank you, Kala], and 6 Caramels...then started selling the Mahalos to kids to replace with Caramels. In addition, Mainland Mike graciously donated four instruments and I also bought one of the Lanikai Soprano Banjoleles when they were on sale last fall.

In the mean time, I have learned to do a lot: to play & arrange, to teach, to re-string, to set-up, and more.

2017 is going to have to be a focus on technology...my iPad and MacBook are dated...and my first love outside of music (including ukulele) is the intersection of technology and music education--and I speak about that topic at conventions across the United States. With the latest version of Mac OS, my MacBook (2008) can no longer be updated, and my eyes desperately need the 12.9" iPad.

These toys all point back to the ukulele, as I use them to create materials for myself and my students, to add to the blogs that I write, and more.

My next ukulele will likely be a Mainland...I saw the line at the Milwaukee Festival, and had a chance to visit with Mike, which led to (but was not intended to cause) the donations to our program. In particular I like the cedar models, although I now have that Pono Cedar. Can you have too many Cedar instruments?

Otherwise, I see more purchases of strings and so on. I know I want to get some Worth clears on hand for the Opio, and to have more Martins stockpiled for when I think I need to make a change.

I am also researching digital calipers to start measuring string thickness (thanks, Booli--the sickness is starting).

Oh...and if I see some good ukulele shirts around, I'll be buying some of those too (I have to re-bump my own thread about the shirts we still have available).

jollyboy
12-27-2016, 05:16 AM
Ah the evils of consumerism... oh, what the heck, I'll play :D

Having recently gotten into baritone ukes in a big way I would very much like to acquire a LoPrinzi all hog bari (either a model A or model B) at some point in the coming year. However, as I am still technically a 'mature student' and basically skint it may have to wait until 2018. Something to look forward to anyway :)

(Mivo - check your pm's!)

DownUpDave
12-27-2016, 05:28 AM
I have gone through all the sizes in the past couple of years and settled on tenor and baritone as my perferred sizes and tone. I like a full resonant tone, sometimes tenors don't get there other times baritones are too much so. I like a spruce topped baritone to brighten and balance things out

I have a LfdM baritone on order with Luis. It will be spruce top and rosewood back and sides, due summer of 2017. I have been purging over the last year and selling off ukes as I become more sure of what I like.

Osprey
12-27-2016, 05:39 AM
I am at a UAS crossroads. I have been Bari-curious for several months. I also have been coveting a Godin Multiuke. Not quite sure which direction I'll jump next. If it's like my other Uke purchases it will be an unexpected opportunity.

Ukador
12-27-2016, 06:11 AM
Lets see what NAMM brings

Croaky Keith
12-27-2016, 08:06 AM
:wallbash: I think I have UAS under control - don't tempt me! :stop:

Ukulele Eddie
12-27-2016, 08:12 AM
I definitely have some ukes to sell, but I also have some ukes I can't ever imagine parting with. So I definitely need to sell more than shop this year. But I have a list of very specific ukes that if the right opportunity came along, I would likely jump on it: a Moore Bettah, a Grimes, a Blackbird Clara, possibly a TODA, Kiwaya Master KMC-K and possibly a Laughlin 5K.

janeray1940
12-27-2016, 08:20 AM
I think I'm all set - I managed to get through 2016 without giving in to the temptation of an anniversary model Kamaka, and there really isn't anything else I'm drawn to. And, I'm flat broke :)

But my local shop is expecting one last shipment of those anniversary models, so... it remains to be seen if my will to resist can remain strong!

Down Up Dick
12-27-2016, 08:21 AM
I'll probably need some more Irish Whisky. Or maybe some more Dewar's Scotch. It helps my singin'.

I'd like to try some single malt, but it's expensive, and I don't know if I'd like it. :old:

Joyful Uke
12-27-2016, 08:26 AM

I'm definitely looking forward to hearing about NAMM. But, I also hope to have UAS under control. (Hope is not confidence, however. LOL.)

I'm planning on spending the winter deciding what I can sell, and confirming my preferred size. Right now I think it's concert, though Ohta San size, (16" scale), might be even better. That makes me intrigued by the Ono 16" concerts, but since I don't know what that neck is like, and can't try it before buying, maybe I'll just have to be content with the amazing ukuleles that I have. (I did say maybe. LOL.)

So, nothing planned, other than enjoying what I'm very fortunate enough to have. But, unplanned things do happen....

Ukulele Eddie
12-27-2016, 08:31 AM
I'm definitely looking forward to hearing about NAMM. But, I also hope to have UAS under control. (Hope is not confidence, however. LOL.)

I'm planning on spending the winter deciding what I can sell, and confirming my preferred size. Right now I think it's concert, though Ohta San size, (16" scale), might be even better. That makes me intrigued by the Ono 16" concerts, but since I don't know what that neck is like, and can't try it before buying, maybe I'll just have to be content with the amazing ukuleles that I have. (I did say maybe. LOL.)

So, nothing planned, other than enjoying what I'm very fortunate enough to have. But, unplanned things do happen....

Not to be a total enabler, but David can custom-shape the neck for you on an Ono. I had him emulate the Collings neck shape on the 16" concert he made me.

mds725
12-27-2016, 08:32 AM
I'm planning to do a lot more selling than buying. I have ukuleles that are wonderful instruments that I just don't play anymore because I play even more wonderful instruments instead, and those unplayed instruments deserve homes where they'll get more attention than I can give them.

Tootler
12-27-2016, 09:11 AM
:wallbash: I think I have UAS under control - don't tempt me! :stop:

Absolutely, Keith. A depleted bank account is good encouragement not to spend. I thought mine was under control until I saw that baritone offer :bowdown: Definitely no more ukes for a while and I might even rehome one - probably my banjo uke.

cml
12-27-2016, 09:16 AM
I'll probably need some more Irish Whisky. Or maybe some more Dewar's Scotch. It helps my singin'.

I'd like to try some single malt, but it's expensive, and I don't know if I'd like it. :old:

Woah, single malt is definitely what you should be buying. Blended stuff is nowhere near as nice!

SoloRule
12-27-2016, 09:22 AM
I have gone through all the sizes in the past couple of years and settled on tenor and baritone as my perferred sizes and tone. I like a full resonant tone, sometimes tenors don't get there other times baritones are too much so. I like a spruce topped baritone to brighten and balance things out

I have a LfdM baritone on order with Luis. It will be spruce top and rosewood back and sides, due summer of 2017. I have been purging over the last year and selling off ukes as I become more sure of what I like.

My plan is a kamaka baritone .

Ukador
12-27-2016, 09:22 AM
Woah, single malt is definitely what you should be buying. Blended stuff is nowhere near as nice!

Thats like saying "a soprano Uke is better than a tenor Uke"

Rllink
12-27-2016, 10:01 AM
No plans to buy anything. I am planning to give my Waterman to my friend for his Tiki bar.

sculptor
12-27-2016, 10:57 AM
I'm not rich... so I'll live with what I've got, that is, a low-g Pono MT, a high-g Cordoba 35CE-T and a Roland AC-33. This is all good enough gear so I don't ever "need" to trade up. If I was a rich man, sure there are lots of pretty toys out there in Ukuleleland what would be fun to own but none of them are magically going to make me a better player... so maybe get some new lower tension strings for the Pono.

-- Gary

Joyful Uke
12-27-2016, 12:19 PM
Not to be a total enabler, but David can custom-shape the neck for you on an Ono. I had him emulate the Collings neck shape on the 16" concert he made me.

That sounds perfect. Oh, oh. LOL.

mikebell48
12-27-2016, 01:01 PM
I've been saving for months, selling unwanted ukes and other stuff and was lucky with cash Christmas gifts from my wife and others. I now have a Wim van der Leden Banjolele almost ready and a Brueko Concert in Maple and Walnut to come at the end of January. There will be no further uke purchases for many months after paying for these. Both are really reasonably priced though for custom builds.

sam13
12-27-2016, 01:16 PM
I think I'm all set - I managed to get through 2016 without giving in to the temptation of an anniversary model Kamaka, and there really isn't anything else I'm drawn to. And, I'm flat broke :)

But my local shop is expecting one last shipment of those anniversary models, so... it remains to be seen if my will to resist can remain strong!

Jane ... life can be short ... eat the cake, take the trip ... buy the anniversary Kamaka! I did. It was worth it. LOL.

sam13
12-27-2016, 01:17 PM
My plan is a kamaka baritone .

You know, Dave told me I was first in line ... right?

sam13
12-27-2016, 01:25 PM
I am looking for a few Ukes ... mostly used ... a Kinnard Spruce Top Tenor, Walnut back and sides and a sound port ... perhaps a Mya-Moe Myrtle Baritone, and a luthier build ...

Patchenu
12-27-2016, 04:32 PM
I would say that I am looking at a Pepe Romero 5 string tiny tenor and a Ko'olau. A Moore Bettah is always on the wish list and a Grimes would be nice. My UAS is still going strong...too strong.

Jim Hanks
12-27-2016, 04:35 PM
Ok, I'll play too - sort of. I'm not ready to provide any details yet, but I do have a build in progress with someone you will all recognize. Some of you may have even seen some pics on the builder's FB page. But that's all I'm saying except that it will be a tenor scale instrument set up specifically for Eb cuatro tuning. No ETA given but it is underway so I'm guessing March-ish.

NewKid
12-27-2016, 04:57 PM
Collings UC3-K when they start making them again.

Booli
12-27-2016, 06:51 PM
I'm planning to do a lot more selling than buying. I have ukuleles that are wonderful instruments that I just don't play anymore because I play even more wonderful instruments instead, and those unplayed instruments deserve homes where they'll get more attention than I can give them.

Aye to that ^.

Big dreams + small funds = setting oneself up for disappointment.

Once I clear the herd some, and repay some debts, if there's any left over, I have a wish-list which I'll re-prioritize when the time comes, otherwise, all the drooling and yearning just makes me depressed, and none of it makes me a better player.

If I invest in ANYTHING, it will be for private lessons so I can up my game to the next level, whatever that is...:music:

mrStones
12-27-2016, 08:36 PM
Next year I have to change my car, the actual one is literally fallin' apart, so not a lot of money for UAS.
But, IF I can spare some money I'd really like a Resouke.
Well, we'll see, but if not, I am already happy with the ukes I own.

cml
12-27-2016, 09:04 PM
Thats like saying "a soprano Uke is better than a tenor Uke"
Not at all, it's a different ballpark.

bonesoup
12-28-2016, 12:43 AM
I got Martin fever. Mah ah artin feeever.

That's a great point. I can hold off til then. Looking forward to seeing what's new.

hollisdwyer
12-28-2016, 01:57 AM
I've been so busy with selling my house, packing, shipping, finding new abodes in Perth and Melbourne that I requested that my upcoming Hannam Players be put last in Beau's current build group. If things settle down soon I'll probably pick it up while visiting the USA in 2017.

DownUpDave
12-28-2016, 02:11 AM
You know, Dave told me I was first in line ... right?

Nope.......Brenda is at the front of the line.......she is prettier than you.

I am so shallow :cool:

Tatcho
02-05-2017, 10:04 AM
Well I fancy a banjolele. I don't know much about them in fact one of our group members this week brought in a tenor with steel strings that he was trying to sell to one of our players. I tried it but found it was quite heavy and the steel strings were a no-no for me but it was good to try. Pity it was too heavy for me but another member said he had a concert at home which he would lend me to try so I'll have that for a week but I have a leaning to a tenor for the easier fingering for me. Getting a little long in the tooth and the rumatiz has set in....!!

DownUpDave
02-05-2017, 10:13 AM
Well my plans have changed since I replied to this thread just a few weeks ago. I have just ordered a Blackbird Farallon, it will take 12 weeks because I ordered it with a secret custom feature. You'll have to wait until I get it to find out what that is. If I have to suffer through the wait you can too :p . Misery loves company as they say.

SoloRule
02-05-2017, 10:47 AM
Downupdave
Its real cool to be your friend in person not just cyber space.
I too am looking forward to this new uke!

Griffis
02-05-2017, 11:42 AM
We will be purchasing a 3/4 or possibly 1/2 size classical guitar for my wife.

I may very well try to score one of those Oscar Schmidt OU28T 8 string ukes. If I do, I'll likely part with my current concert uke and make one of my two sopranos low G in its stead.

We really seriously try to keep a lid on possessions.

Griffis
02-05-2017, 01:21 PM

Sorry to go back off topic, but life is too short for sub-par whisk(e)y. Plus, it pairs well with playing ukulele!

That said, I am not a wealthy man. I can't go buying $200 bottles of the stuff.

But in the midrange, for single malt Irish whiskey, I like Bushmill, 16 year.

For single malt Highland Scotch whisky, Dalmore, 12 year. I prefer Highland Scotch (slightly fruitier with overtones of vanilla and bitter chocolate) usually over Lowland Scotch (often blended, drier, hints of leather, peat, campfires) but Buchanan's 12 year is good along those lines.

etudes
02-05-2017, 02:04 PM
I thought I had my UAS under control- indeed did for several months. Now reading about Blackbird ukes and in particular the newer Farallon I'm smitten again. Will be posting one or two ukes in the marketplace soon to help fund the Farallon.

good_uke_boy
02-05-2017, 02:15 PM
I'm searching for the antidote to UAS. Meanwhile, I ordered a custom 14-fret Hive. And loving my Farallon...

WCBarnes
02-05-2017, 02:31 PM
I have a 16" Ono that will be delivered in 2017. My only other plan was to re-home the ukuleles that are not getting enough love from me. But you know what they say about the best laid plans... I was looking at Facebook and Mike (of Uke Republic) posted pictures of some Fleas he got in stock and UAS took hold and I am now the proud owner of a new concert scale flea. Now that is it!! Really... it is... until the next time...

Booli
02-05-2017, 02:59 PM

Aye to that ^.

Big dreams + small funds = setting oneself up for disappointment.

Once I clear the herd some, and repay some debts, if there's any left over, I have a wish-list which I'll re-prioritize when the time comes, otherwise, all the drooling and yearning just makes me depressed, and none of it makes me a better player.

If I invest in ANYTHING, it will be for private lessons so I can up my game to the next level, whatever that is...:music:

yes, quoting myself to add...

I'd like to think that if I were to win the big Mega Lottery, once all debts are paid and my family is taken care of, that I would like to buy each UU member one uke, whatever is their 'Holy Grail' uke...and at least when I'm gone, I might be remembered kindly and with esteem.

In the meantime, I'm going to focus on enjoying my Fluke and Flea ukes.

Griffis
02-05-2017, 03:06 PM
I'm searching for the antidote to UAS.

I had what guitar heads call GAS which can stand for either 'Guitar' or 'Gear' Acquisition Syndrome. I had the latter. Acoustic and electric guitars, multiple ones...6 and 12 strings. Basses out the wazoo (bass was my main instrument) including upright acoustic, enough amp rig equipment to fill a small storage unit, some analog synths, old drum machines, a dresser drawer full of effects pedals, countless string sets, picks, straps, cords and cables...

It became more of a chore than a pleasure just owning it all. Maintenance, storage, deciding what to play, dialing to find the right sounds, cord shorts out here, dead battery there, sheesh. I have a family and full time plus job.

Anyways, it can get bad. Now I just grab a uke and play. Not having all the electronic tech accessories necessary (though I'm all for electric ukes!)...it's been very, very liberating.

I love coming here and seeings people's babies, celebrating NUDs. It's wonderful there are so many excellent luthiers and players.

I stray. Apologies. What cured UAS for me (15 ukes was what I got up to in 2003) is A) Lack of leisure spendy cash, and B) Just buckling down and playing. Enjoying and getting the most out of what I have.

I don't resent or judge anyone if they want to buy a new expensive uke every month. That's great. Ukuleles are beautiful things. There are true, heirloom works of art out there. I enjoy them vicariously!

Nickie
02-05-2017, 04:37 PM

I'd like to think that if I were to win the big Mega Lottery, once all debts are paid and my family is taken care of, that I would like to buy each UU member one uke, whatever is their 'Holy Grail' uke...and at least when I'm gone, I might be remembered kindly and with esteem.

In the meantime, I'm going to focus on enjoying my Fluke and Flea ukes.

Booli, no need to give us all ukes to be remembered fondly. You won't be forgotten by me unless I become senile enough to forget who I am....
But if you ever feel rich and generous....
LOL

Griffis
02-05-2017, 05:18 PM

That's a beautiful thought, but we'd rather have you here man.

Debussychopin
02-05-2017, 07:10 PM
Wow Booli that put a tear into my eye. I'm serious.
I love uke people everyone in the world should own one, world will truly be a better place.

drbekken
02-05-2017, 08:07 PM
I just bought a Martin S1. Didn't plan it, though..it just came my way.

Ziret
02-05-2017, 09:28 PM

I'd like to think that if I were to win the big Mega Lottery, once all debts are paid and my family is taken care of, that I would like to buy each UU member one uke, whatever is their 'Holy Grail' uke.

That would be so fun!

Debussychopin
02-05-2017, 09:36 PM
I would like to buy some good classical music soprano uke instruction. Learning on my own has been unwieldy.

ukatee
02-06-2017, 12:06 AM
Have you tried Rob MacKillop (https://robmackillop.net/ukulele/)? He has published a number of excellent music books and offers individual lessons via Skype and Facetime. He has a background in classical guitar and lute but is also a ukulele enthusiast. The first music I bought when I started a few months ago was his 20 Easy Fingerstyle Studies for ukulele - I absolutely love it. The link includes some demos by him. He's playing a tenor because he has big hands but it is tuned re-entrant.

I hope to get some lessons from him some time but my computer is so old that Skype doesn't work. On the other hand I am within reasonably easy reach of his home in Edinburgh, so.....

Debussychopin
02-06-2017, 09:09 PM
Thank you I will look into your suggestion.

Eynowd
02-06-2017, 10:19 PM
In early January, I ordered myself a Cordoba Mini M guitalele from theukulelesite.com. It arrived last week and I've been playing it a lot ever since.

I have it tuned to Taropatch C (G-C-G-C-E-G) and play ki ho'alu on it. It's a truly wonderful instrument to play, and being small, it makes it really convenient to take to work with me to play on my breaks. I've had quite a few positive comments on its sound too.

If you're thinking of getting a guitalele, I can highly recommend these.

Booli
02-06-2017, 11:45 PM
@ Griffis, Nickie & Debussy

Thanks so much for the kind words. \nnn/

kkimura
02-07-2017, 02:13 AM
I just bought a Martin S1. Didn't plan it, though..it just came my way.

Funny how that happens. Sometimes the ukulele (like magic wands) picks you.

Ukulele Eddie
02-07-2017, 03:39 AM
I definitely have some ukes to sell, but I also have some ukes I can't ever imagine parting with. So I definitely need to sell more than shop this year. But I have a list of very specific ukes that if the right opportunity came along, I would likely jump on it: a Moore Bettah, a Grimes, a Blackbird Clara, possibly a TODA, Kiwaya Master KMC-K and possibly a Laughlin 5K.

Although it wasn't on my pre-determined listed, I played a Takumi Honduran mahogany concert at NAMM that really, really struck me. So much so that I kept going back to it. NAMM is not a great place to get a truly great perspective on tone, but from what I could tell I had an inkling it was a truly exceptional instrument. It arrived to HMS yesterday and Andrew confirmed how really nice it is. Looking forward to receiving it! And here is a link to Corey's demo on the HMS Vimeo channel:

https://vimeo.com/202900214

For those of you looking to add, I still have a Kiwaya KTS-5, Martin 2K non-vintage (they don't make them anymore!), a vintage 2K, and a Covered Bridge WRC/flamed koa concert that need loving homes where they will be played more often.

1931jim
02-07-2017, 03:46 AM
I would like to buy some good classical music soprano uke instruction. Learning on my own has been unwieldy.
I like my Tony Mizen book......."From Lute to Uke"

Osprey
02-07-2017, 04:49 AM
I started the year thinking I might want to either get a Baritone or get a cedar topped Tenor. My two best ukes are all solid acacia tenors. A week ago I picked up an all solid mahogany Baritone. I really like it and have been enjoying the challenge of learning which chord shapes go with which chords. Now I may trade one of my tenors for a cedar topped Baritone.

cml
02-07-2017, 05:25 AM
I need more sandpaper :(...

Croaky Keith
02-07-2017, 08:04 AM
Well, 2 months in, & UAS nearly got me, I almost ordered a RISA steel string electric tenor, but I just managed to resist & put the debit card away........ :rofl: