Cheap strings

delmar500

Reaction score
I'm trying to breath new life into my cheap soprano uke. I googled the term "best cheap uke strings". Anybody had experience with GHS nylon strings? I can get them for $2.45 delivered.

GHSH10.jpg

Cheap strings on a cheap ukulele make it sound even cheaper. :p Good strings may improve the sound, at least, and make the cheap soprano sound much better! I'd always first try Aquila Nylgut or Aquila Red Series strings on a cheap ukulele. Yes, it costs a bit more, but these aren't steel strings, so you can leave them on for a longer time.

I have not used the GHS strings.
The Martin m600's are easy to find depending where you are. Guitar Center has them for about for about $5.00.
I use them on most of my sopranos. They are a nice light fluorocarbon.

I forgot about the Martins. Yes, if you want flourocarbon strings, the M600 are great. I really like those, except for the thick C string.

Years ago I had a cheap soprano uke that came with GHS strings. I thought they were awful, and eventually switched them out to Aquila Nylguts which made the uke sound about a thousand times better. Martin fluorocarbons are my favorite strings for solid wood ukes, but if your uke is a laminate you might want to consider Aquilas.

Anybody had experience with GHS nylon strings?

My Brunswick baritone came with GHS strings fitted, black nylon with a wound bass string, they worked then and still work fine, over a year later. My tenor Brunswick came with Aquila's fitted. To be honest, I don't hear a quality difference between the two instruments. They're both played regularly.

Based on that experience, I'd say try the GHS strings, at that price you can hardly go wrong. :music:

The Martin m600's are easy to find depending where you are. Guitar Center has them for about for about $5.00.
Agreed here!!

Black GHS strings are likely the old-standby of 'tynex' similar to the original Dupont nylon strings of yore...

In my humble experience they have had a sort of dull tone and very little sustain, whereas I prefer the exact opposite sound.

I tried them and did not like them, it sounded like my uke had just died, totally lifeless.

You will get more improvement in clarity, tone, dynamic range and sustain with nearly ANY fluorocarbon strings compared to tynex, however some folks like the sound of tynex/nylon, and in that case, to each his own.

Martin M600 and M620 strings are a good choice as a starting point as has been said above, and are ~$5 per set like everywhere. I have Martin strings on several different ukes and like them very much on those ukes.

Last edited:
I have not used the GHS strings.
What are the ods they would be lighter (easier to depress) than the nylon strings?

They play very easily, IMO, and sound much better. They're definitely worth spending the $5 to try them.

They play very easily, IMO, and sound much better. They're definitely worth spending the $5 to try them.

Thanks for the input! I have the Martins and a new capo in my shopping cart awaiting my next Sweetwater order.

My second ukulele was a Lanikai LU11 that I bought on line. It came with GHS strings and was almost unplayable.
I put Aquillas on it and it sounds awesome.
It's one of my cheapest ukes but it still sounds great.
Don't buy cheap strings.

I don't care much for nylon strings on my smaller ukes. They sound and feel dull & lifeless. IMHO, the best "cheap" strings are Martins. As others have said, they can be had for around $5 and are as good as strings that cost 2-3 times more.

I don't care much for nylon strings on my smaller ukes. They sound and feel dull & lifeless. IMHO, the best "cheap" strings are Martins. As others have said, they can be had for around $5 and are as good as strings that cost 2-3 times more.

if you are referring to the Oasis or Worth strings as costing 2-3 times more, keep in mind that for the up-front price of the Oasis and Worth strings, you are actually getting a length of string meant to be cut exactly in half in order to have 2 physical sets of strings. Hence the higher price. Simply buy 2 sets of Martins and depending upon vendor, you are roughly equal to the price of a SINGLE (double-set) pack of Oasis, and for $2-3 more, a SINGLE (double-set) pack of Worths.

Personally I really rate these extremely inexpensive strings for Soprano:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_valuestrings_ukulele_clear.htm
Whether the postage to the US would be prohibitive I don't know though.
They take a little longer to bed in than Aquila etc, but are stable after a few days. I like that they're a little thinner than some other strings, so are light under the fingers. As a result they're maybe not as loud as most other strings, but I can amplify one of my ukes if I want noise. I bought 20 sets last time to dilute the cost of postage and to make sure I always have spare sets handy.

Personally I like the mellower sound of the thicker nylon strings, but some some sopranos don't suit them, I don't necessarily believe it's all down to laminated vs pieces of wood either. My problem with cheap strings isn't always sound but it's pretty regularly longevity. I'm no longer a fan of Martins M600 strings I liked them well enough at one time, I prefer Fremont Blackline on my lightweight sopranos (Imua / Kiwaya) Aquila Lava on my modern Kamaka. And D'addario Titanium on a Kanilea K1 Concert. But i'm open to suggestions. I too liked the https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_ben...lele_clear.htm mentioned by jimavery and also the Pyramid Nylon and Flurocarbons from Thomann at one time too. Just haven't used them recently.

Last edited:
For what ever reason, Aquila's almost always seem to improve the sound of an inexpensive uke. The Martin 600's are a good all-around choice. GHS, not so much.

Top Bottom