2016: What was your favourite purchase?

sam13

Reaction score
Hey all,

2016 was a tough year for losing talent musicians, and actors ... but as it turned out a great year to buy a few Ukes.

What was your favourite Ukulele purchase?

Regardless of price, what did you get and were thrilled with.

I was fortunate enough that my Uke fund had funds and was able to buy a:

• 1. Kinnard Tenor with Cutaway, sound port and K&K pick up in it. It is superb to play ... just love it.
    2. Ko'olau Tenor ... master Koa. The tone is just fabulous and I am grateful to the seller who was willing to part with it. I love this Uke as well.

UU is a great place to try new Ukes, what did you get which was either something checking off your Ukulele Bucket List or a surprising purchase which was surprisingly wonderful to you?

May 2017 bring you Health, Joy and Ukeness!

Cheers.

I enjoyed a lot of great ukes this year some of which I already re-homed. Forced to choose the two best, it would be the new Hive Hornet (Lucky12 Spruce/The Tree) and the Kinnard torrefied spruce/quilted maple baritone. These are two that I added this year that I don't think I could ever sell.

I was lucky enough to visit Maui with my wife in February, and while there we decided to splurge on a nice uke. We couldn't afford a K brand, but we spent as much as we could afford. We had a great time trying out a few different options in our budget, and really liked the Mele Mango that we tried. If it was our only uke, we might have got a Koa or a Mahogany model, but the really bright sound of the mango was was something that we didn't have. 10 months later, I love it even more. Different strings really brought out the tone, and I feel like now that the oil finish has had a chance to settle into the wood, it looks and sounds even better than when we bought it. I heard a lot of mixed reviews of Mele ukes before I went shopping, but I'm glad I ignored them and went with my gut.

Mele mahogany concert pineapple. They hand picked this one for me. She's a sweetheart for sure. In 2016 I bought a few, re-homed a few, traded a few. But, I believe my "favorite" uke acquisition in 2016 was the Mele. 2nd Mele I own, first was a mahogany tenor I found on Craigslist a couple years ago ... added a pickup and it is my gigging uke, turns heads every time ... even the famous Mo Dixon played it at one of my gigs and said "this is a sweet uke!" Check out Mele folks!

Mele mahogany concert pineapple. They hand picked this one for me. She's a sweetheart for sure. In 2016 I bought a few, re-homed a few, traded a few. But, I believe my "favorite" uke acquisition in 2016 was the Mele. 2nd Mele I own, first was a mahogany tenor I found on Craigslist a couple years ago ... added a pickup and it is my gigging uke, turns heads every time ... even the famous Mo Dixon played it at one of my gigs and said "this is a sweet uke!" Check out Mele folks!

Glad I'm not the only one feeling the Mele love.

Someday I would enjoy trying a Mele Uke for sure.

I might have to pick a Mango Uke in 2017!

All my ukuleles were bought this year...

My #1 would be my Opio Tenor. That sound is just amazing...not sure if it is the low G.

A very close second is the Pono (letters in the signature). Other than a pick-up (and side sound hole), it has every bell and whistle available for a ukulele. Cedar body, rosewood back--sounds clear and sweet.

In January I got my big Zebra Baritone. Beautiful perfectly intoned and easy to play! UAS had met it's match!

2016 was the year I decided to get really serious and focus on ukuleles. I purchased a lot of ukuleles and while some sound better than others, others play easier and some were purchased to commemorate the birth of my second daughter. My top three favorites are the Eric Devine Tenor Spruce with BRW, Eric Devine Tenor Mother of Curl and Kinnard Tenor all Walnut with Maple accents and a "Z" headstock. Lots of ups and downs in 2016 but I am hoping 2017 is great year.

New socks and underwear. Nothing like fresh new skivees without holes in the bum.

Oh you meant ukulele stuff. My I'iwi tenor with Redwood top and walnut back and sides was an unexpected treasure. As was the Kamaka 100th anniversary baritone.

Last edited:
Kala 5 String Tenor! Solid cedar top w/ lam acacia back/sides(pretty curls!) custom setup with Ko'olau Alohi plains + South coast unwound Low G string(Low G string as top string, then high G) w/ L.R Baggs Five.0 active pickup. For the price, surprisingly good sound acoustically that probably won't be topped until you spend 800$+ for made in Hawaii/US solid woods.

my new road bike.....have not ridden in 20 years but need to get more healthy.. the bikes are up to 11 speed now....and the whole frame carbon fiber.....

Sorry Simon I did not read the post...I figure I will just leave it.....
still happy with the ukes I have now..:)

Last edited:
Lots of ukes purchased this my first year of uking. ;)

Best ones I have would be my solid mahogany tenor necked concert & soprano bodied Ohanas & my cedar topped Kala baritone, though I did get a RISA Uke Ellie tenor that I took a fancy to. :rolleyes:

But, I guess I've got to say, my best purchase was a £48 Lani solid spruce topped bari, down from about £120 - though I did also get a Baton Rouge solid spruce electro acoustic cutaway thin line concert with MISI Trio pickup, down about £80, earlier in the year. :)

my new road bike.....have not ridden in 20 years but need to get more healthy.. the bikes are up to 11 speed now....and the whole frame carbon fiber.....

Sorry Simon I did not read the post...I figure I will just leave it.....
still happy with the ukes I have now..:)

I'm glad to hear you're cycling again, Len! Stay safe!

Tough choice, but I would say either my cedar/koa Ohta-san or my Hoffmann baritone. The Ohta-san was the one that made me think that if I had found it early in my uke life, maybe I could have saved a lot of time and money. Or maybe not; perhaps I needed the other experiences to appreciate it. The Hoffmann baritone is exquisite.

My only purchase this year is my Wunderkammer Ike soprano, but it is my best ever. After six months I love it so. It made an amazing first impression and that has continued to today. Highest quality tone, warm, loud, golden as its wood grain is in the sun. All handmade, hand-carved, no machining. If you like vintage style lightly built mahogany, I believe there's not a better uke, and the price is crazy low too.

Sorry for the ad. I get excited.

My UAS must be slowing down as I only took delivery of one new instrument, my Hoffmann Ebony and Red Spruce baritone. 20.25 inch scale, I have it tuned in B flat. It sounds so great I now plug it into my Yamaha TX5A amp when I play with my group at the Farmers Market every Saturday.

IMG_1150.JPG
IMG_1151.JPG
IMG_1152.JPG

My faves this year are:

* Goat Rock 16" concert (Master Koa)- plays and sounds like a dream

* Dave Talsma Style 3 Concert - beautiful quilted mahogany.....and it really sounds and plays like a style 3 Martin

I picked up a Santa Rosa Baritone Ukulele at a pawn shop for $40 20 some years ago. It's nothing fancy to look at, but it stays in tune pretty well and sounds OK to my very untrained ears. I have a Carmel Tenor on the way. We shall soon see which I like better.

Two favorites, in order of purchase:

Kala longneck soprano (mahogany laminate) — a tremendous value at $92, fun and easy to play, with the laminate peace of mind

Opio acacia concert — another outstanding value (although 5+ times the price of the Kala), also fun and easy-playing, but with a beautiful and of course more complex sound

Least favorite: the custom tenor I had to return. But let’s not dwell on that.

Top Bottom