There is joy even in the "lesser" ukulele...

UkeStuff

Reaction score
Last night, I had the chance to attend one of the (somewhat) local jams (a Bluegrass jam, and I don't know much of the music--but can play the chords and sing a tenor harmony part following those chords).

There weren't a lot of people there last night--it was cold and a bit icy in Minneapolis, and some of the snow birds have started to migrate now that Christmas has passed.

What was interesting is that for a small group (10 of us?) there were a number of very expensive instruments there...a Kamaka concert with rope binding, an Islander Tenor, a Blackbird eKoa Tenor, and even my Pono (likely the "least" of that bunch). There was easily $5000 of ukuleles in that room with that small of a group.

I love all of those ukuleles...and if money were no object, I would own all of them in a tenor format. But, like most of us, money is an object.

Today has been a busy day of helping others with technology--getting a cell phone screen replaced and purchasing a used MacBook Air for a family member--so I didn't get to the ukulele until this evening.

Instead of pulling one of my "good" ukuleles out of the case, I took down my Lanikai LU-21CEBK from the wall. It is a gloss black laminate Lanikai, originally listing for far more than it is worth. I bought it off of Craigslist this summer for $65...and it turns out it was that cheap because the electronics didn't work.

While I like the Fishman electronics in my UkeSB, the UK2000 unit wasn't doing its job. I had replaced the pickup in the ukulele from an earlier recommendation here on UU--and that didn't solve the problem--so I ordered a whole new UK2000 unit on eBay. It turns out the problem was on the 1/4" plug versus the unit or the pickup. I $25 invested in parts, and now the ukulele is fully functional. I did swap out the Aquilas to Martins, which is sort of my thing to do--not that people have to do that.

That said, there is a tenor version of this instrument in the Tuna Uke line, with the Fishman pickup. That instrument interests me, too--but apparently the Lanikai logo is a decal versus inlay such as on this older LU-21CEBK. I know that things are done to keep prices low...but come on!

Anyway...tonight I started playing that Lanikai concert, and just had a lot of fun with it. It isn't my Opio or my Pono--but that's okay. It is an inexpensive but pretty ukulele. It plays well for what it is. So my "aha" thought as I write this note is this:

In the midst of other threads (which I have commented in) about what we got for gifts, or what we're going to buy next year, there can be a lot of joy in a far less expensive ukuleles--setting them up, fixing problems, or just playing them. Sure, cheap ukuleles can be out of tune and hard to play--but there are lots of inexpensive options that don't create that negative experience.

How about you? Any "lesser" ukuleles that make you happy?

Yes! There is! Kala 5 String Tenor! Solid cedar top w/ lam acacia back/sides(pretty curls!) custom setup with Ko'olau Alohi plains + South coast unwound Low G string(Low G string as top string, then high G). For the price, surprisingly good sound acoustically that probably won't be topped until you spend 800$+ for made in Hawaii/US all solid wood tenors. Mahalos to Hawaii Music Supply!

The answer to your question lies in the "Rubin Uke - Caramel Uke" thread.

There are 38 pages, 375 replies and 27,029 views involved in that thread. I can't remember seeing a thread that big before.

Sure seems like alot of love for "lesser expensive ukes" Right there. I have a number of high end expensive ukes but I had a blast playing my $112.00 laminate soprano today

I love my cheapie Lanikai LU-21C. It was horrible out of the box with very high action making it very difficult to play. I took it to a guitar shop and the guy there lowered the action to where it now plays like a breeze. I love the feel of how it plays. Once I got my 3rd uke I contemplated selling it but I couldn't bring myself to do it. My other 2 ukes sound better but the Lanikai still sounds pretty good, certainly good enough that I don't hesitate to pick it up and play it. It still gets as much play if not more than my other 2 ukes.

...In the midst of other threads (which I have commented in) about what we got for gifts, or what we're going to buy next year, there can be a lot of joy in a far less expensive ukuleles--setting them up, fixing problems, or just playing them. Sure, cheap ukuleles can be out of tune and hard to play--but there are lots of inexpensive options that don't create that negative experience.

How about you? Any "lesser" ukuleles that make you happy?

Great story, I wish I could give an upvote.

For me instrument setup is part PITA due to the tedium and often minute increments, but it is also a sort of Zen therapy...

Last March I bought a $29 Melokia soprano off Amazon, specifically because it had 15 frets instead of the typical 12 on soprano. My intent was twofold:

a) just how BAD can it be and if it's THAT BAD, well I know how to fix most setup issues

b) to test if I could ever just live with a soprano, if it had enough frets for the music I write and want to play, and for that I need beyond the 12 fret on the E and A strings

Ok, so it came in 2 days because of Prime, and yes it was cheap basswood, with a terrible mud-colored stain, but it had a nice bark to it and a nice jangle, but the clear nylon strings were total garbage. Of course as you might guess, I immediately put Martin M600s on it since I know these strings well and doing so would help me establish a baseline...

What I discovered once the strings held pitch and I could actually get thru 'Aint She Sweet' without having to retune evey 4 bars, was a total mess, not visually because visually it was a nicely finished $29 uke, but mechanically and musically it needed EVERYTHING fixed.

Over the course of the next 4 days, at least 3-4 hrs at a time, I leveled and dress the frets, then perfected the intonation at the saddle, and all was going well, but the C and E strings were 12 cents sharp at the 1st & 2nd fret, and the G and A strings 7 cents sharp, so basically unplayable in first position to my ears...

I then began the process of cutting down the nut slots, about 2-3 strokes with the hacksaw blade, replace the string, tune to pitch, check intonation <-- this exact process I repeated (I kid you not) maybe 100 times, until I was not any more then 1cent sharp at the 1st & 2nd fret, as well as 100% dead-on at the 5th, 7th and 12th frets...

This alone took me about 8 hrs in total. I never claimed to be an expert or even good at doing setups, merely persistent...

In the end the action became supremely low, so much so that I had to adjust my playing technique to play SOFTER than I would on a tenor...but the end result is that OMG the uke plays PERFECTLY now, BECAUSE of MY work.

I dont always play the soprano, but when I play THIS one, it makes me smile to know that I WAS able to fix it up and that it was ALL in my hands as I applied the tons of knowledge that I got from YouTube, this forum and a few other sites, and a sort of pat-on-the-back that I am NOT inept or retarded (yet) and can still learn and apply myself to solve certain problems.

I was proud.

Last week I took advantage of the 15% off sale on Strings And Beyond and got myself a set of Aquila 30U GDAE fifths-tuning strings for soprano so I can practice the songs I wrote in fifths tunings. I put the strings on the humble Melokia and OMG it really came alive. It is tuned to the same notes and octave as mandolin, and that E5 note on the open first string is shocking when you hear it for the first time, it's almost chimey, like Alvin and the Chipmunks....but it's been growing on me...

2 yrs prior to this I had also done a similar COMPLETE setup to a Mahalo U-320BK soprano that was on sale at Musicians Friend for $22 with free shipping.

Some folks might say why bother and fuss with ALL that work, but for ME, it is FUN. When I was 14 yrs old, I completely disassembled our broken tv and with a tech repair manual I got from the public library that I barely understood and a whole bunch of books about electronics and schematics, was able to fully repair the tv in a few days and a few trips to Radio Shack...my parents were AMAZED...

So yes, I truly enjoy making a silk purse out of a sow's ear, even if I might complain and generate some four-letter-words while doing so, mainly because when it's done I've always had a sense of accomplishment that nobody and nothing could ever take away from me....

As you can tell brevity is not a strength nor a goal of mine. Did I answer the question in the OP?

I still play the Mahalo once in a while, especially if I am only going to be strumming chords that dont require anything beyond the 12th fret...but I mostly play tenors and larger now, and both the MAHALO and the MELOKIA are special to me, even if they are mostly regarded as uke-shaped Crapola by those who play ukes costing $1000+

I made them better - they came to me with defects - I fixed all the defects - maybe acquired some skills, and also understanding about how it all works together to make the sounds that cause the angels to weep....

For me, its not about the PRICE, but instead about the EXPERIENCE and what is LEARNT during that process.

anyway, I will now step down from the soapbox and yield to the next storyteller with respect...:)

-shaka & mahalo-

Last edited:
After not buying a ukulele for almost two years, I saw a Bruce Wei Arts model a couple of months ago on eBay that caught my eye, solid acacia koa with a very nice looking brown burst stain. I put in a bid and got it for $100. All my Bruce Wei custom ukes have been good, so I took a chance on this one, and I have to say, it's very nice. I did change the strings to Worth browns.

BWA Brown burst.jpg

Last edited:
I guess 'inexpensive' comes in two 'sizes' for me. ;)

I still love to play with my Kala KA-SLNG laminate long neck soprano - & just recently I got a (£120) solid spruce topped Lani baritone for £48!

(All my ukes have cost less than £300.)

I like playing the ukulele. I don't discriminate based on brand. I find that even with a pretty lousy ukulele, if it's the only one i have access to, my ears adjust and I get along with it just fine. Now lousy playability is something else. If there's buzzing, the action's too high, the thing goes out of tune while playing, then I have a problem. But even then . . .

I play and listen to ukuleles. I certainly don't scan across the room and see price tags. I show up to my local gathering with my ugly turd-colored Favilla soprano. But if I lay into it, the thing can bark over all the others in the room with a loud mid-range yet warm top end.

Nowadays, I don't give a damn about the price point of ukuleles. In fact, I used to go on searches for the cheapest and decent sounding ukuleles. I was surprised at how I can coax ukulele music out of most sub-$40 ukuleles. Though admittedly, some just sounded limp and dead.

At this point in my life, I'll play anything as long as I can get some semblance of music and joy out of it.

I'm trying not to see "lesser" or "superior" ukuleles, as it seems to not matter.

They are all just fun to play. I still have my Oscar Schmidt OU-2 (I think cost me $55 at the time) and I still have fun playing it.

There's good music in all of them. It's just that some of them take more "encouragement" than others in order to get their best.

Over my stringed-instrument years (roughly 50) i've found that price tag valuation is deceiving. I have never found a stringed instrument which didn't improve (sometimes magnificently) with a true custom set-up, not just the techie-quickie of some minor nut-filing. A custom set-up takes time, but Booli nailed it as a Zen-like experience when you do the work yourself. It's amazing how often folk give up on a decent instrument which just needs some "understanding."

I have no problem going to any jam with any one of my instruments. I may be outpriced, but I won't be "outgunned" instrument-wise (musician skill is a different story!).

My son still has my original 15+yr old Lanikai LU21-B. He still plays it and has no desire to replace it. I always enjoyed playing it too and I think that if I hadn't wanted to experience different sizes and features, I would actually still be happy with that uke as my regular player. It was plain (which is fine by me) but felt good in my hands and had good volume and tone, and stayed in tune. If I'm being honest about my playing abilities, I don't really think that I need a better uke. It's like that Sprint cellular commercial that asks something like "are you are willing to pay 100% more for something that's 3% better?". I know it's been discussed at length here in the forum, but it's true that uke love comes in all sizes and all price ranges.

Seeing as how all of my ukes are what seem to be considered "lesser" ukes...heck yeah!

(The Outdoor Ukulele Tenor is my most expensive. My mother even commented, "Oh well, not like you're going to go pro" when I picked it out.)

I'll echo the feelings here--I flew to our Christmas family holiday and, with all the gifts and sweaters and long undies required (it was 3 degrees in Boise!), I couldn't take any of my ukuleles with me. Fortunately, back in 2005, I'd given my (then-college freshman) son a $30 Mahalo soprano (set up with Aquila strings and I smoothed out the poke-your-fingers frets) and he has it in his home office. Over the week, I'd retreat from six grandkids (all four years and under) and play away in our room and just thanked myself for my prescience 11 years ago in giving him an ukulele. Of course, as soon as little ones heard grandma was playing, I was typically joined by a (very appreciative) audience and the alone time disappeared. But you know, surrounded by adoring grand-toddlers who have ultimate confidence in *anything* Grandma does, I discovered that the little inexpensive Mahalo could really sing. I couldn't imagine one of my Moore Bettah Ukuleles being any more appreciated.

Sure, at home, the MBUs are my instruments of choice, but when push comes to shove, isn't it the feel and love that we're experiencing that brings out the best in our ukulele playing, no matter the instrument?

I feel that the price tag, material, and brand name matter far less than solid craftsmanship and a good set up. The problem with inexpensive instruments is usually that their intonation is off, action is too high, frets are uneven, and the strings are crappy. But if a $100 instrument is set up well, it may well be better (to play) than far more costly instruments who weren't set up. The cheaper it is, the more it is likely in need of a set up.

I always say that I enjoy playing my Mainland, but I have fun with my Makala.

Top Bottom