Next steps

Reaction score
Hi All,

Quick intro. I am the father of an 8 year old who over the last 3 months, has been learning the uke and progressing very quickly.

He brought his first uke (makala dolphin soprano) with birthday money and then began busking.

His busking has been amazing and he has earnt serious cash ($100 per hour) so he added to his collection with a makala MK- C.

From here he now wants to get an electric uke. Is this the best path?

Essentially he wants to eventually move into a guitar, but everyone I have spoken to has suggested that he sticks with the uke for a bit longer.

So to keep his interest, he wants to "step up".

He is self taught at this stage and I am after suggestions for the best path from here.....

Well if he can earn $100 hour - maybe you should take a look at a RISA electric tenor & an amp - that'll get him closer to an electric guitar sound. :)

But, there are a lot of ukes out there with pick ups built in, so it depends on what you/he plan on doing.

Big difference between nylon strung acoustic electric ukes and steel strung ones. One sounds like a uke, the other a guitar. I have both. Why don't you have him do separate you tube searches for electric ukulele....... acoustic, solid body, steel strings. Can get a cool little acoustic electric Epiphone acoustic electric Les Paul, concert size, for about $100 give or take. Mine didn't need any adjustments except for fret ends and a set of Aquila strings. Lots of battery powered amp in lots of price ranges. Can check out demo's on them as well at you tube. A local uke club, if there is one, will expose him to many different instruments, likely amps, etc. etc. Good luck...you have come to the right place.

Thanks guys. Will take him down to the local music shop and have a jam to see what fits best.

I will keep you posted on progress!

I don't think there is anything bad about adding guitar, but I would encourage him to keep the ukulele going.

The biggest issue will be the size of most guitars, even electric guitars. It is a HUGE jump from a Dolphin to a full-sized guitar. There are 3/4 size guitars and also guitarleles (6 string ukuleles) that would make that transition easier.

(There are plenty of kids that play full size guitars, but just because there are doesn't mean that the size of the instrument is right for them.)

If he wants to learn guitar, I'd get him a guitar. Parlor sized guitars, or OM (folk) sized ones, are much bigger than a ukulele, but still relatively small as far as guitars go, and they are fine in standard guitar tuning without the low-E string sounding dead. Steel strings are much harder on the fingers than nylon strings, so a good set up is really crucial. Acoustic guitars have relatively narrow nuts, so string spacing is great for someone with small hands and fingers (classical guitars have much wider fretboards).

Like Choirguy wrote, I'd also encourage him to keep playing the ukulele. If for no other reason, then at least for the busking. :) Ukuleles are far more suitable for successful busking due to their relative originality, and a guitar would draw less attention.

You could put him on a baritone ukulele! A graduated step in instrument size, same chord shapes as ukulele, same tuning as strings 1-4 of his future guitar.

Top Bottom