acronyms like NUD

Elessar

Reaction score
Being a noob here I've been seeing some terminology that I don't understand and have been spending most of my time in the beginners playground trying to learn things I need to know.

However, I have seen the term NUD repeatedly but have been unable to determine a meaning; anybody?

NUD= "New uke day". When you get another one for your collection.

Speaking of terminology: You're a newbie, not a "noob". Noob is a derogatory term, referring to individuals who are either annoyingly obnoxious or some sort of dumb idiot. "Newbie" or "Newb" refer to someone who is new at something, a rookie.

Yes, pet peeve of mine. :)

Speaking of terminology: You're a newbie, not a "noob". Noob is a derogatory term, referring to individuals who are either annoyingly obnoxious or some sort of dumb idiot. "Newbie" or "Newb" refer to someone who is new at something, a rookie.

Well, most of what I don't know could be construed as annoying and many Newb questions can be glaringly obvious to those who've been around a while. I've gone through multiple forums as the new guy and have observed the evolution. Glad to be here and find such a great resource. Thanx again.

You may also run across the acronym "UAS," which means Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome. You will almost certainly contract this syndrome.

You may also run across the acronym "UAS," which means Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome. You will almost certainly contract this syndrome.

Often people cycle between the two: UAS - NUD - UAS - NUD - UAS - NUD etc.

Last edited:
Working on this one already...shop, shop, shop.
Fight it. I wish I had fought UAS more. While new ukuleles are fun, it can take away time from actual playing. Personally, I started building ukes which took so much time that I havnt played since this summer, at least not more than a song here or there. I will try to find a better balance next year :).

But hey, ukes are fun :D!

CML, I have already found my next Ukulele but I know that I have lots of studying and practice before I may need another instrument. I can see having at least one more to leave in the RV for camping expeditions and one for around the house. Beyond that, who knows...it'll be a while before I play well enough to justify a second ukulele. Until then; "Study, study, study, or bonk bonk bad kid."

U.A.S. - Tends to last as long as you let it - I'm cured now - at least, I think I am. ;)

You're never cured, just in remission. It can strike again any time. :eek:ld:

U.A.S. - Tends to last as long as you let it - I'm cured now - at least, I think I am. ;)

Saying something like that in public is the "kiss of death", you have just jinxed yourself. I predict a sudden fall from grace.

There is just too much temptation on these pages. I will pray for you my son. :eek:

You're never cured, just in remission. It can strike again any time. :eek:ld:

When I started playing bass uke after a year of ukulele, my UAS went to BUAS (bass uke acquisition...) and I'm up to 14 (8 bass ukes and 6 mini electric basses). I started playing uke again about a month ago and I quickly went from 4 ukes to 7. No shortage of acquisition syndrome here.

Mivo - thanks for this. Despite being active in forums for YEARS (and years), I never quite picked on this distinction (I can be slow on the uptake for social conventions some times, I guess it's the price I pay for being such a geek, and often a hermit), but your observation that 'noob' is essentially used in a pejorative sense and sometimes/often a word of ridicule, what you've said here really rings true with me.

I've always found 'newbie' to be a friendly word, and 'nube' or 'noob' to be grating on my eyes to read, much like the leet-speak or lots of the 3-letter abbreviations all the kids used back when AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) and MySpace seemed to saturate the internet with ignorance and malice at every turn.

So thanks for pointing this out and clearing up and confirming what I could not actually put into words, even though I knew something was off. Today even this Greybeard* learned something new.

:)

(*Greybeard because I've been using internet/linux/unix since 1989 & Compuserve, FIDOnet and dialup BBS's even before that)

Is SAS to do with strings, sopranos or something else? :confused:

Saying something like that in public is the "kiss of death", you have just jinxed yourself. I predict a sudden fall from grace.

There is just too much temptation on these pages. I will pray for you my son. :eek:

Yup. I said I wasn't going to buy any new ukes this year.

It's arriving today.

Top Bottom