NAMM spoilers?

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
Does anyone have any guesses or hints about what the upcoming NAMM might bring?

It seems to me like Kamaka will be spending 2017 catching up on the anniversary orders, so probably nothing new there.

How about Martin? Any expectation of an anniversary model from them?

Or any hints from any other company on what they might have to show?

I could tell you but I'd have to kill you! Seriously, I don't have any Ukecentric info, but as usual I'll at least post pix from NAMM.

I wonder if Ohana will finally release the new concert sized Taropatch

Kala is going to introduce a dulcimer. Ohana will show off a harp ukulele. Martin plans to make a (real) bamboo uke. And there will be ukes made of substances that we haven't even heard of yet.

Just kidding!

I haven't been able to wrangle a pass like I did the last couple of years, so I'll have to rely on UU and all who post here; Aldrine, Mim, etc.

Last edited:
Wow, what a coincidence. Soon after being informed that I might have an opportunity to attend NAMM, I come across this thread.

The last time I was at NAMM was before having kids, so it was easily over 10 years ago. My then girlfriend (now wife) and I were able to get a picture with the ever so friendly Jake Shimabukuro who was roaming the hallways and was stopped at the Flea Market Music booth. The lady of FMM casually hailed, "Hey, Jake."

Then later that year, I think that video of him in Central Park playing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" broke.

I think my wife and I were able to go again the following year, and ukuleles were all of a sudden all the rage. I think Kamaka made their first appearance at NAMM. Jake played for them at their booth. We got super lucky and were even able to catch one of them industry shows with Jake performing in a hotel.

Great memories.

I hope we'll be able to go to this winter's. Gotta get a picture with Yngwie Malmsteen, y'know?

I wonder if Ohana will finally release the new concert sized Taropatch

Mim tells me she has some and should be available soon? But, I see she's taking off again for New Years for a few days...

just got a note from UkeRepublic on facebook, they have them too!

Last edited:
I hope Koaloha will add the D-VI guitalele to their Opio line.

Now that the USD is so strong I would love to see the K's announcing a price drop :eek:

So musicians friend has a Martin 3k that it says will be availabe in April 2017. Is this a spoiler? Is Martin bringing back the 3s, I hope? But then I checked guitar center and their site has a 3k it says will be available in Dec 2016. Gc and mf are owned by the same corporation. So maybe that 3k is new old stock.

Kala is going to introduce a dulcimer. Ohana will show off a harp ukulele. Martin plans to make a (real) bamboo uke. And there will be ukes made of substances that we haven't even heard of yet.

And the real bamboo Martin 0 (that they don't make) will sound ENTIRELY different from the real Koa one 0 (that they also don't make). ;-)

Bill in NH

New concert plastic in the Kala Waterman line

This is really exciting to me...we have 40 Waterman that were donated to our school by Kala, and while they aren't perfect, I have no concerns about checking them out to students to practice at home or to complete assessments at home (I have them make videos of their playing--we're a 1:1 iPad school).

I would love to have some matching Concerts, to allow a little more room for some of the kids with bigger hands. I have been pondering buying some Outdoor Ukulele Tenor models, and just didn't want to go the unique-looking Bugsgear direction. It would also be nice to buy some product for our school from Kala, as they donated over $2000 of instruments to the program (and about 5 others that I know of).

I also wouldn't mind a clear or all black Concert Waterman in my own collection. The Soprano size has kept me away. I have asked Outdoor to consider a Concert-sized instrument as well.

So...I'll be watching that news very closely!

Some cool stuff from Ohana coming and artist are going to love one of these a lot!
Wait until you see Kanile'a Platinum 2017 model! WOWZER!!!!
Kanile'a is going to do something different with the spalted maple Islanders- I've said to much!

I checked out the line up of uke exhibitors for the show. They are as follows:
Ohana
Rick Turner
Kremona
Collings
Magic Fluke
Dana B Goods
AXL Musical Instruments
Galli strings
The Music Link
Chesbro Music Co
Mahalo
Na Leo
Bugs Gear
Kanile 'a
Laka
Amahi
Takumi
Grace Harbor
Maestro
Boulder Creek
Kamaka
Blackbird

Some I never heard of. Nevertheless should be a great show.

I checked out the line up of uke exhibitors for the show. They are as follows:
Ohana
Rick Turner
Kremona
Collings
Magic Fluke
Dana B Goods
AXL Musical Instruments
Galli strings
The Music Link
Chesbro Music Co
Mahalo
Na Leo
Bugs Gear
Kanile 'a
Laka
Amahi
Takumi
Grace Harbor
Maestro
Boulder Creek
Kamaka
Blackbird

Some I never heard of. Nevertheless should be a great show.

Thanks for this list, Ifoo. What about Koaloha and Ko'olau/Pono? Aren't they attending this year? I hope they will be there. Any other notorious brands missing? I don't see Kala in the list, either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom