A little string talk...

UkeStuff

Reaction score
Today my Living Waters strings arrived from across the pond, and after they reached room temperature, I took off the strings on my baritone and replaced them. I fully understand that most baritones have the wound D and G strings (just as some tenors have wound low G and C), but I was never quite happy with the guitar-quality sound that resulted, the squeak of the strings, or the way the strings oxidized. I wanted to try all Fluorocarbon strings on a baritone. I don't know if anyone else offers such a set, but someone suggested Living Waters, so I ordered some.

The strings are settling in, and I continue to be amazed by how long it takes the thicker strings to stretch out. But so far, I am very much pleased by the playing experience (I tend to like fluorocarbon--not saying YOU have to), and while the low D is a little "floppy," it is something I can certainly live with. Unless there are other full fluorocarbon baritone sets of strings, Living Waters has a long-term customer!

Keeping in mind that I'm not a fan of wound strings, I could use some further advice with tenor strings. I am wondering which companies offer low G fluorocarbon without wound strings. I know Worth does (there is a clear and brown option, as well as a clear HD option). D'Addario offers the EJ99TLG strings, but I cannot tell if any of the strings are wound or not (photos of the strings would be useful on the websites). I know I can also order fluorocarbons straight from KoAloha...but I am looking for similar but different options (I also ordered a set of Living Waters in Low G tenor which I have on hand--should have mentioned that).

Thanks much for any further advice on the topic.

Right now I have my tenor strung with an Aquila red low G. I've got a set of PHD low G fluorocarbons waiting for my next string change, too. The red is alright, but I prefer the Fremont soloist (I know it's wound, but it feels different to any other wound string I have tried). I haven't tried the PHD strings yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

The D'A Carbon EJ99TLG are all nonwound and can be tuned DGBE on a tenor but the hi-g strings sound better tuned dGBE on a tenor. See my review in the review forum for sound bites.

The Worth Brown Fats hi-g for Tenor can be used on a baritone for dGBE and makes it sound like a Ukulele. The Worth Brown Bari strings are all fluro and very nice of a baritone, if you like low-D.

Southcoast make non-wound sets for Baritone, I will try them next for my bari.

Last edited:
I put the PhD low G set on my KoAloha concert and love the sound. The G string doesn't feel floppy to me. The PhDs are available online from Ukulele Creations.

@ Choirguy...

You might find the info I previously posted here regarding the D'Addario EJ99SC, EJ99T & EJ99T-LG of some use, also to keep in mind that these are the same or close to the gauges used in the Worth CM/BM double-length string sets, AND in the Living Water 'soprano' set.

Also, Uke Republic sells the Living Water strings and is the only vendor I have found in all of the CONUS, so if you will be re-ordering them in the future, then this is another option for you: http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/living-water-ukulele-fluorocarbon-strings

The Worth Brown Bari strings are all fluro and very nice of a baritone, if you like low-D.

That's interesting, I was looking for Worth Bari sets here in the UK and couldn't find any. It's good to know they make them. I'll probably try Living Water, though when the strings on my new Bari need changing. I'm quite happy with the Aquila strings they came with but would like to try a non-wound set for comparison then make up my mind.

I use Worth Fats for dGBE on a tenor and find they work very well good tone and nice tension - not too high. One of the no nos for me with GCEA on a tenor is the high tension. I just don't like it. Add to that I much prefer the tone of dGBE, to my ears, it makes more of the larger body on a tenor.

Long Live Living Waters!

@ Choirguy...

You might find the info I previously posted here regarding the D'Addario EJ99SC, EJ99T & EJ99T-LG of some use, also to keep in mind that these are the same or close to the gauges used in the Worth CM/BM double-length string sets, AND in the Living Water 'soprano' set.

Also, Uke Republic sells the Living Water strings and is the only vendor I have found in all of the CONUS, so if you will be re-ordering them in the future, then this is another option for you: http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/living-water-ukulele-fluorocarbon-strings

Thanks for this, Booli. I ordered some Worth Clear Tenor Low G and the EJ99T-LG strings from Strings by Mail...it seems that prices on Amazon are higher now, making it cheaper to use SBM. I had looked for your referral code but couldn't find it...I think it used to be in your signature which has changed.

Also...prices from Living Water weren't bad...just took a week and a half to get here, and I wasn't in a hurry. Generally I try to have backup strings on hand before I buy them...the next task is getting some more unwound strings for the baritone in case something happens to the Living Waters that are currently on the instrument.

That's interesting, I was looking for Worth Bari sets here in the UK and couldn't find any.

I use Worth Fats for dGBE on a tenor...

FYI: The Worth Fat Low-G set is made up of exactly the same gauges as their bari set, so the two are interchangeable.

I'm using Worth Browns on my baritone but wanted a 'brighter set'. Are Worth clears 'brighter' like the D'Addario Carbons? I'm using the carbons on my tenor for dGBE and like them, and would like to have a set for my Bari, also dGBE.

I'm using Worth Browns on my baritone but wanted a 'brighter set'. Are Worth clears 'brighter' like the D'Addario Carbons? I'm using the carbons on my tenor for dGBE and like them, and would like to have a set for my Bari, also dGBE.

@JackLuis - I'm curious to learn more about this. As I'll probably settle on buying a mahogany baritone, I'd love to find a fluorocarbon set that could brighten things up just a bit - while still providing comfort.

I really do hate wound strings. (My sensitive baby fingers just can't stand that squeaky, sticky feeling.) I'm assuming the fluorocarbon strings have a slicker (more nylon-like) feel? Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Top Bottom