Recommendation for Sop low "A" string(s)

ukulately

Reaction score
I've just bought a really really cheap bugsgear uke - looks like the plastic cutaway (I thought it was when I bought it 2nd hand) but is some sort of laminate/particle board thing. It has Bugsgear on the headstock but has a CrazyUke made in china sticker inside, so who knows what's going on.

Anyway ... it sounds pretty good, basically in tune and pretty loud with good sustain although pretty bland of course. I've played a lot worse! It has a deep body and wondered if if could be worth tuning up to "D" with a low "A".

What do yawl think? And what could the strings to try?

Sounds like Southcoast Lilli'u strings are exactly what you are looking for! Either LMU-LILI’U or MU-LILI'U would work on a soprano scale in D tuning. http://www.southcoastukes.com/liliu.htm

You could just use a low-G soprano string and tune it up a full step. It'll have better tension, too. The Fremont Soloist is supposedly for sopranos also, but I have not tried it myself. D tuning is awesome on many sopranos. For D tuning, I like Aquila's D tuning strings (thinner than C tuning ones). The product code is 33U.

Sounds like Southcoast Lilli'u strings are exactly what you are looking for! Either LMU-LILI’U or MU-LILI'U would work on a soprano scale in D tuning. http://www.southcoastukes.com/liliu.htm
I'm sure the double-reentrant set wasn't what the OP had in mind, but that's certainly interesting. I was kind of surprised there is not a normal linear set listed for soprano except for the up-octave DGBE XLL set. I like Mivo's idea of using gCEA set and finding a separate 4th string.

I'm sure the double-reentrant set wasn't what the OP had in mind, but that's certainly interesting. I was kind of surprised there is not a normal linear set listed for soprano except for the up-octave DGBE XLL set. I like Mivo's idea of using gCEA set and finding a separate 4th string.
no that wasn't what I had in mind but definitely food for thought. Plus, I need need to read the SCU string tomes again for sure!

Top Bottom