Strings for Spruce?

JackLuis

Reaction score
I have a nice little Ohana CK-22 Spruce topped mahogany concert, actually my most expensive Ukulele but I seldom play it. I'm a strummer and somehow it doesn't thrill me as much as my Zebra wood ukes. The Zebras tend to be mellower, or something?

I have tried several strings sets on it of the fluorocarbon types, but lately I've been wondering if it might need a different kind of string?

So my question is does spruce need a less bright string? :confused:

Up to you really. Spruce is often chosen so that it's brightness can be accentuated. But if you aren't liking it, by all means try some different strings. Worth browns are the usual suggestion. You might could try some nylons as well.

I've got a solid spruce concert with Living Water low G strings, & a Lani bari with high D, probably Aquila, both sound pretty good to me, not too bright, but not as mellow as my cedar topped bari, or solid mahogany ukes. I like the fact that my ukes sound different from each other, they suit my different moods & tunes. :)

I tend to use bright strings on my bright ukes etc. I try and emphasize their inherent strengths. Ko'olau Mahano strings are also very mellow.

I tend to use bright strings on my bright ukes etc. I try and emphasize their inherent strengths. Ko'olau Mahano strings are also very mellow.

Good point.

Also, the opposite could be true.

I like a certain tone, warm with brightness.

With s Spruce top depending on the back and sides I would use:

Worhth Browns or Clears, Oasis Warm low and High G, and Fremont Blacklines.

For a mellow sound, I like Living Waters. The PHD's work well with my spruce top Ohta-san.

Top Bottom