Question about a potential purchase...

MahaloJones

Reaction score
$160 on a new Lanikai SMPTU-C. Worth the price? I'm looking for a concert to travel with as I am on the road quite a bit and don't really want to risk my APC TS103.

I would have concerns about the stability of solid monkeypod for a "travel uke." How about the all laminate Cordoba CM-15. Has a great reputation. Even Andrew at HMS agrees it's a great little concert for the money and can be found on ebay for as little as $75-$99. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jubA7R6IHGM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/cordoba-15c...504367?hash=item3ad5e2a82f:g:xM8AAOSwMstYQj3v

Note: I think monkey pod ukes are lovely and with the right strings (as is usually the case) it has good sound and projection. It's just that a lot of folks have had problems with them cracking and splitting along the grain sometimes....probably more than most.

Last edited:
Seems like a good deal, since new ones go for $350.00. There are tons of other options out there. Like Phil said a laminate might be a better choice for a "travel uke". I like Islanders for lower/mid priced laminates...

It can be so much fun to live vicariously through others on this forum! I have just spent the last thirty minutes or so looking at YouTube reviews of the Lanikai Monkey Pod ukuleles--as well as reading reviews elsewhere.

There's a bit of disagreement on the web, but some feel that the Monkey Pod lacks projection and resonance of other ukuleles--one reviewer suggested Pro Arte strings and giving the wood some time to settle in after purchase.

(That said, you would expect that most of these have been built for some time and sitting somewhere, particularly if you are getting it for 1/2 price...so really, there shouldn't be THAT much change after you buy it)

There are different models of the Monkey Pod ukuleles from Lanikai, but the one you list has the open headstock and the TunaUke system. That might be fun to play with--but TunaUke has been out for a while and no one else has chosen to copy it--and they say that copying is the highest form of flattery. So it looks like the ukulele industry has sort of "shrugged" at that idea.

There is something to be said for a travel uke that doesn't require a lot of maintenance--which is why I bought my Outdoor Ukulele. If you don't want to spend as much, then by all means, look at laminates.

But, if you like the Monkey Pod, and you know it is a good ukulele--go for it. You will also need to buy a case of some kind for it...I doubt that will be included at $160.

Thanks for the info guys. I think I was more excited about the price than the Uke, which I guess is symptomatic of UAS. Anyway, I am looking at the Cordoba CM-15 and the Islander AC/MC-4. Anyone had any issues with a laminate? Anything I should worry about?

Thanks for the info guys. I think I was more excited about the price than the Uke, which I guess is symptomatic of UAS. Anyway, I am looking at the Cordoba CM-15 and the Islander AC/MC-4. Anyone had any issues with a laminate? Anything I should worry about?

Well-made laminates -- the Cordoba and Islander are good examples -- can have better projection and playability than some low-priced all-solids. I have a KoAlana concert (KoAloha's laminate series) and it's wonderful.

Top Bottom