NUD:Folkcraft Druid Moon (also Fiero)

OhioBelle

Reaction score
As have been a couple of my 2016 finds, this one was totally unexpected. Surprising. Serendipitous. And rapidly on its way to becoming my favorite uke, a rare trick in my collection of lovelies.

This one was found in The Bird Barn in Cashiers, North Carolina on the day after Christmas. The Bird Barn sells things for birders - seeds, feeders, field guides, bird baths. The owners are a lovely couple, the gentlemen of whom plays the dulcimer. And there you have it - hanging on the wall amongst the Folkcraft dulcimers for sale, this all solid Koa tenor made in 2014.

Now how could I pass up the only ukulele for sale in all of Cashiers, a fun, resort-esque little town of arts and crafts, ski shops, hiking shops, and expensive furniture? Especially since it was discovered practically next door to Sapphire, my favorite place in the world, where my grandfather built a cabin on Little Hogback Lake when I was 2 years old? My mother and cousins and I met there for Christmas for the first time ever, so this ukulele will always be a treasure in my heart.

It also passes the ultimate test - the Fiero sniff.
IMG_5724.jpg

Also more pics. Love everything about this uke - the thin neck is super comfortable. It has Grover open tuners. It's light as a feather. The koa is lovely and the unique moon-theme on the headstock, sound hole, and bridge make me happy. I love trees, and since I planted a back-yard-full, my friends have taken to calling me a druid. Again I ask, how could I have possibly resisted? ;)

IMG_5716.jpgIMG_5717.jpgIMG_5718.jpgIMG_5719.jpgIMG_5720.jpg

That cat is gorgeous. What kind is it? It's colored like an ocelot. Great find on the Uke!

The crescent moon shapes of the sound hole and bridge add a really nice touch -- I can see why you couldn't resist taking it home!

Also: Bonus points for the Bengal, always the highlight in your photos!

Thanks all! Yes, as Mivo pointed out, Fiero is a Bengal. Hybrid between an Asian Leopard Cat (wild) and domestic. The ocelot resemblance is there, isn't it UkieOkie? I've always had a thing for leopard print. If I'd have known cats came in leopard print, I'd have gotten one years ago, LOL! OT, but Bengals are amazing, inquisitive creatures, almost dog-like in their desire to play. Fiero follows me around the house, comes when I call him, hops in my lap when I pat it, plays fetch forever, loves water and takes showers.

Back to ukes - the Druid Moon has round braces inside. I'll try to see if I can get a pic later.

Is Druid Moon a local makere or a one of? I like the symmetry on the sound hole and the bridge. Is the bridge, one piece wood?

Is Druid Moon a local makere or a one of? I like the symmetry on the sound hole and the bridge. Is the bridge, one piece wood?

Bridge is one piece, looks like rosewood. Micarta saddle and nut. And Phil, the retail IS pricey, isn't it? I paid less than half that. Good deal I thought, for a koa tenor.

I've heard that the Folkcraft dulcimer is also a great instrument.

The quirky bridge is what first caught my eye as well, 78. It's so organic, with smooth rounded edges (and okay Keith, a catface, ha ha!) And now I'm thinking both it and the fretboard are ebony, not rosewood.

Checking out the Folkcraft website. If anyone's near Louisville, KY this weekend, looks like they will be there at a music festival. And some upcoming classes in Ft. Wayne, Indiana.

https://www.folkcraft.com/pages/upcoming-events

As have been a couple of my 2016 finds, this one was totally unexpected. Surprising. Serendipitous. And rapidly on its way to becoming my favorite uke, a rare trick in my collection of lovelies.

This one was found in The Bird Barn in Cashiers, North Carolina on the day after Christmas. The Bird Barn sells things for birders - seeds, feeders, field guides, bird baths. The owners are a lovely couple, the gentlemen of whom plays the dulcimer. And there you have it - hanging on the wall amongst the Folkcraft dulcimers for sale, this all solid Koa tenor made in 2014.

Now how could I pass up the only ukulele for sale in all of Cashiers, a fun, resort-esque little town of arts and crafts, ski shops, hiking shops, and expensive furniture? Especially since it was discovered practically next door to Sapphire, my favorite place in the world, where my grandfather built a cabin on Little Hogback Lake when I was 2 years old? My mother and cousins and I met there for Christmas for the first time ever, so this ukulele will always be a treasure in my heart.

It also passes the ultimate test - the Fiero sniff.
View attachment 96650

Lovely uke and Lovely cat - Fiero!

Top Bottom