How do you wear your ukulele strap?

_Silly_Me_Sitting_Here_

Reaction score
So... One last question before I submit my order for a.... wait for it.... Kala solid mahogany baritone uke (KA-SMHB)!

I'm trying to envision how I might wear my big, comfy guitar strap w/ my bari. Do I install a strap button at the heel of the neck? (I'll hook the other side to the Misi Trio I'm having installed at the tail block.) Or, do I tie the other end of the strap up between the tuners? Is there a pro/con to either of these two methods?

Anyways.... I'd love to know how you guys are wearing your ukulele straps & why you've decided that method works best for you. (P.S. Photos would be grrrrreat!)

:)

From someone who only uses a big comfy guitar strap on a big comfy guitar ... the length of 1/4" decorative cord I use on my baritone runs from the button on the base of the instrument to the headstock ... FWIF the big comfy guitar strap on my J200 look-a-like runs to the heel of the neck, but on my similar-size 12-string it runs to the machine heads. On the big guitars I find either option OK, on smaller instruments (including smaller guitars) I find the heel of the neck fastening to be unbalanced ... sufficiently so to affect my playing!

I'd suggest trying tying to the headstock first to see if you like it, then resorting to drilling holes in your new instrument if you feel it would be better, rather than doing it the other way around.

As is often the case, YMMV ;)

My only instrument that has two strap pins is my parlor guitar, so it's bigger than a baritone, and I feel this is the best way of using a strap. I have a soprano with only one strap button (the other end is tied to the headstock) and this works also (or would, if I used a strap with the small ukes), but if you already get one pin fitted, you may as well get one at the heel also. Even if you end up using only the one at the base, it'll be good to have the option, especially if you have HMS install them.

Are you sure about the Kala?

First off great choice of baritone. That Kala all solid mahogany is a WINNER. SoloRule owns one and I am always impressed when I play it. Spend the extra money and get the LR Baggs 5.0 pick up. I have a Pono baritone with the Misi and a Kamaka baritone with the Baggs. The Baggs reproduces a more natural sound. I have a Baggs 5.0 in 5 tenors as well, best uke pick up I have heard for reproducing as natural a sound as possible. The Misi sounds a bit glassy. Others might disagree.

I have a button installed on the heel of the neck of every uke I own. This gives you the option of using it this way or tying it to the headstock

Last edited:
Are you sure about the Kala?

Haha... I *think* so.... lol..... But, after several back & forth's with Corey at HMS, I'm pretty much convinced that the Kala will be easier for me to play than the Pono. (I wish I could confirm that by actually playing one in person. But, of course, that's not an option without a plane ticket!) So, for now, I'm going with the Kala. :)

Haha... I *think* so.... lol..... But, after several back & forth's with Corey at HMS, I'm pretty much convinced that the Kala will be easier for me to play than the Pono. (I wish I could confirm that by actually playing one in person. But, of course, that's not an option without a plane ticket!) So, for now, I'm going with the Kala. :)

Great choice. Have HMS mount the strap pin on the heel. You will be glad you did.

I prefer A to B. Because my friend's soprano tips over (red arrow) by heel end pin on B.

imgurl

Great graphic, @zztush!

I'm more worried about the ukulele's neck/ headstock tipping with the baritone size. I'm thinking "A" looks more comfortable than "B," too. But, doesn't that strap get in the way w/ chording and whatnot?

I'm in the camp of tying to the headstock, especially for tenor and smaller, usually baritone too. Since you're unsure, I'm with Vic that you should have HMS install the heel pin. If you don't need it, you're out, what, $5? If you do need it and don't have it, it's probably going to be more than $5 to have someone local do it and more of a hassle.

I play sitting down and have a hard time holding a soprano. Nearly all my sopranos have the "B" strap pins as in zztush's diagram. I use a 2" cotton Franklin brand guitar strap. The ones that don't have a strap are either vintage and I am afraid to install them (the Harmony and Silvertone), or there is no real way to add strap buttons (Zither Heavens and First Act).

The Luna concert has a delicate fancy soundhole and I am afraid the inlay will snap off if I have a lower bout pin installed. But, it works well played with my left foot elevated when seated.

The OU tenor - I find that it does well with a rubbery rug underlay between me and the back of that polycarbonate uke back (no worries about the finish), or else I elevate it like the concert. No strap pins on it.

The Mainland tenor was bought used and had one strap button on the lower bout. I got a fancy 2" nylon strap and tied the other end to the headstock. That gives me enough control to fret. Nylon seems to do ok with the bigger ukulele, but I need the grip of cotton on my clothes with the lighter sopranos.

I wear my straps over the left shoulder (I fret with my left hand) diagonally down to my lower right to fit on the lower bout pin. I have seen some wear it over the strumming hand shoulder which in my case would be the right side (mando style?), and might try it if I had narrower straps.

Great graphic, @zztush!

I'm more worried about the ukulele's neck/ headstock tipping with the baritone size. I'm thinking "A" looks more comfortable than "B," too. But, doesn't that strap get in the way w/ chording and whatnot?

I have no problem with A (in my diagram) in terms of chording on my soprano and tenor. But I don't doubt that some one may have a trouble with it.

I wear my straps over the left shoulder (I fret with my left hand) diagonally down to my lower right to fit on the lower bout pin. I have seen some wear it over the strumming hand shoulder which in my case would be the right side (mando style?), and might try it if I had narrower straps.

As stated by sctadh, A is left shoulder type (though he is lefty, he put it on his right shoulder), B is right shoulder type. A is Albert King and B is Freddie King. Freddie King always played this B style. C is B.B. King. They are called three Kings in Blues and my strap teachers.

free upload pictures

Last edited:
First off great choice of baritone. That Kala all solid mahogany is a WINNER. SoloRule owns one and I am always impressed when I play it. Spend the extra money and get the LR Baggs 5.0 pick up. I have a Pono baritone with the Misi and a Kamaka baritone with the Baggs. The Baggs reproduces a more natural sound. I have a Baggs 5.0 in 5 tenors as well, best uke pick up I have heard for reproducing as natural a sound as possible. The Misi sounds a bit glassy. Others might disagree.

I have a button installed on the heel of the neck of every uke I own. This gives you the option of using it this way or tying it to the headstock

Thinking of selling the kala baritone to get ready for a kamaka when my seller decided to sell.

I had HMS put a heel button on my Kala tenor but I don't use it. I prefer to tie off to the headstock (diagram A). I haven't had any problems with chording with this method. I agree with some of the earlier posters though...for an extra $5 it is worth the option.

Yes, it is very true option D. Thanks Dan.

Normally we hold acoustic instruments angle of 45 degree to our body in order to use back board sound (top figure). Hence not many uku players or acoustic blues guitarists play like D (bottom figure). This photo shows very good exceptions. Solid guitar and female player who keep her guitar under her breast. I wanna be her guitar. :)

post a picture

I might be able to get away with style "A" (tied to the headstock) with a uke, but I've never been able to get that to work on a guitar. For that I'll need bigger shoulders or bigger shoulder pads.

I had HMS put a heel button on my Kala tenor but I don't use it. I prefer to tie off to the headstock (diagram A). I haven't had any problems with chording with this method. I agree with some of the earlier posters though...for an extra $5 it is worth the option.

Yeah... I'll probably get the button. I mean, it's only $5. But..... I'm wondering.... Does anyone actually *use* that heel button? It sounds like most folks are leaning towards the tied headstock positioning.

Yeah... I'll probably get the button. I mean, it's only $5. But..... I'm wondering.... Does anyone actually *use* that heel button? It sounds like most folks are leaning towards the tied headstock positioning.

Yeah, I use a heel button on my Kala Baritone, but I don't use straps on my smaller Ukes. However, I do use a homemade, paracord Uke leash on my eighter, but it may be temporary. I'm thinking of having a button put on and maybe two.

I usually play seated, and I mostly just strum my smaller Ukes. :eek:ld:

I always use strap buttons at the base of the neck and at the heel, and I don't find my ukes or bass ukes to flop forward like the example. Actually, the only time I did experience that was when the strap button was on the back at the bottom of the neck, I moved it onto the base of the neck. I sling it over my neck so it is behind my right arm and in front of my left arm like traditional guitar straps.

Strap buttons.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom